What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
ennui
Veteran

Re: What did you do today.

Post by ennui » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Went to a convention; today NiGHTS had a couple of Bouken writers, Saitou-sensei and Kawashima-sensei (writers of Hunters Moon and Shinobigami respectively) for guests. I GMed Dungeon World. My group had a great time and there was a really interesting "talk show" afterwords where the guests answered questions. They announced a ton of really awesome books coming out in the next few months and I am super excited to get back my project out soon!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:31 pm

After an X-TREEM hangover killed any chances of doing anything productive on Saturday, today I finished up the base decoration of the next batch of epic Tyranids, and they're all set to get primed black before I head off to work tomorrow morning.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:58 pm

I discovered that mixing Valleho white primer with generic acrylic thinner results in a white gooey mess. I also discovered that the Model Air paint labelled "black" is actually "metallic black".

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:52 am

I had a similar problem with the VMA metallics as you had with your primer. They can be mixed with water and Vallejo thinner, but woe betide you if you use the wrong solvent. Coulda been worse - it happened to me in the cup of my airbrush. I had fun cleaning that, lemme tell ya :(

Btw, Vallejo do do a black airbrush paint - I have it. The VMA metallic colours are classed as a separate range, so you can get VMA black, and VMAmetallic black. It's a handy colour, either way, so you'll get use out f it. As noted above, tho - do not thin the metallic with non-Vallejo thinner. If you're airbrushing it, water ain't great either. I'd advise picking up some Vallejo thinner. Makes life a lot easier.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:16 am

Yeah, it gummed up my airbrush too. The tiny nozzle bit is currently soaking in airbrush cleaner.
me_in_japan wrote:Btw, Vallejo do do a black airbrush paint - I have it. The VMA metallic colours are classed as a separate range, so you can get VMA black, and VMAmetallic black. It's a handy colour, either way, so you'll get use out f it. As noted above, tho - do not thin the metallic with non-Vallejo thinner. If you're airbrushing it, water ain't great either. I'd advise picking up some Vallejo thinner. Makes life a lot easier.
I guess that means yet another unplanned trip down to Kamimaezu. I think I must have five types of thinner for different paint ranges by now.

I do have some 50% isopropyl from the drug store I might try thinning Vallejo with too — just to see if I can get away with it.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am

I think I must have five types of thinner for different paint ranges by now.
heheheh, you and me both, mate. You'd think the buggers could just settle on something mutually applicable, but clearly not...

Vallejo thinner, btw, is white, not clear (but dries clear) so i think its quite a different animal from most other companies' stuff.

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:36 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
I think I must have five types of thinner for different paint ranges by now.
heheheh, you and me both, mate. You'd think the buggers could just settle on something mutually applicable, but clearly not...

Vallejo thinner, btw, is white, not clear (but dries clear) so i think its quite a different animal from most other companies' stuff.
I picked some up (isopropyl didn't work, haha), and the milky coloration surprised me, but it doesn't affect the actual colour as you say, and at last I'm getting smooth paint flow with my brush. Even the Model Air paint needs to be thinned somewhat, though.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Today I built my last Necron Destroyer and my last 3 scarab bases. I also did some more work on my Astral Claws captain.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:12 pm

so, I should be expecting some robotic death legions, come Kuwana, should I? :D (yeah, yeah, I know - sig noted.)

today I:

worked, went shopping, played some fallout 3. Was happy my new paintbrushes arrived. Am really not that bothered by Joe at the mo. Want to paint eldar. Maybe banshees, maybe fire dragons, maybe incubi. Feel guilty about not finishing Joe...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:15 pm

The "times during the day when I can spray some minis" and the "times during the day when there are clothes drying outside" schedules got unsynched last night, and I primed the next batch of 'nids. Today I did the brown and (so far) the first layer of green on a brood of biovores, a hive nest and some gaunts. They might just be done by bedtime tonight.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”