What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: What did you do today.

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:09 am

Managed to find a half-hour before work and finish up that brood of 'nids. In the bullpen, to get started tonight, is some zoanthropes and a bunch of assorted infantry. Also my Litko order came the other day, so I can now work on basing up those bio-tanks (the dactylis, malefactors and haruspexes from my Dave Shows Pictures... thread).

Looks like I'll be able to have them all painted and based for the December event, which is nice (knock on wood - watch that comment jinx me).
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:43 am

Technically last night's work, but I build 5 Necron Immortals and started work on a transport.

You know you've bought too many models when you go to the shop to collect them and Ikeda san passes you his entire delivery. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:30 am

Primarch wrote:Technically last night's work, but I build 5 Necron Immortals and started work on a transport.

You know you've bought too many models when you go to the shop to collect them and Ikeda san passes you his entire delivery. :D
Aha, it must be your fault then that my own delivery hadn't arrived yet when I saw him on Friday.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:49 am

Tenorikuma wrote:
Primarch wrote:Technically last night's work, but I build 5 Necron Immortals and started work on a transport.

Aha, it must be your fault then that my own delivery hadn't arrived yet when I saw him on Friday.
Quite possibly. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 pm

I put 10 marines into a simple green bath where they will purge themselves of their sins till tomorrow.

I fashioned a huge scythe, stolen and cut down from a Gundam model, to use for my captain / librarian.

Looked on the net for possible desert paint themes for the army, as many have the forge world scorpions on their armour.

Maybe base coat with black, Dheneb Stone, Mud Wash / Sepia Wash, high light with dheneb stone + bleached bone and orange for the stand out bits. Weapons, back packs and metal bits I am not sure of though?

Any advice guys?

BTW has anyone ever simple greened something as big as a tank? Oh, and how do you paint something as big as a land raider? Would a Tamiya Spray work???

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Painted my first model in about seven years. I airbrushed the base coats, spraying downward only for the lighter coats to produce natural highlights. Then I brushed the mane and tail, horn, eyes, hooves and dapples. Looking at the photograph though, I can see tons of mistakes I'll have to fix up tomorrow.

@Kojibear Are you doing desert-themed space marines?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:24 pm

kojibear wrote:BTW has anyone ever simple greened something as big as a tank?
Yes. Its just like anything else only bigger.

To paint tanks, use a big brush. That seems to work for me.

Today I finished off my Necron transport. It can also double up as a gun toting heavy support choice. The best part? It doesnt need magnets, GW actually made a model with interchangeable parts. :o

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Tenorikuma wrote:Painted my first model in about seven years.

@Kojibear Are you doing desert-themed space marines?

Wow, TK me thinks you have kept your hidden talents a secret ;) It looks awesome. How did you do the dapple look on the back?

And yes I though scorpions would fit a desert paint scheme, but I am weary of using light colour as I hear they are hard to do...which begs the question:

What colours did you use to paint the unicorn? :D The colour scheme would fit a desert theme I think.

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:40 pm

kojibear wrote: Wow, TK me thinks you have kept your hidden talents a secret ;) It looks awesome. How did you do the dapple look on the back?
Heh, thanks. The dapple was the easy part... just extremely watered down Off White dabbed on over and over again. The whole unicorn is three colours: Off White, Khaki, and Earth (72101, 72061, 72062). That's one of the suggested paint combos I found on the Vallejo website: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/pdf_web/CC072-rev07.pdf
And yes I though scorpions would fit a desert paint scheme, but I am weary of using light colour as I hear they are hard to do...
It looks like there's a Red Scorpions chapter, which is mainly black, red and gold. Random Google results:
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/File ... Marine.png
http://media.photobucket.com/image/red% ... sRhino.jpg
http://40-kun.deviantart.com/art/Red-Sc ... -169281530

But here's a sweet-looking army in desert colours:
http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Tenorikuma wrote:
But here's a sweet-looking army in desert colours:
http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html
Awesome! Thanks! :D

But what would be the GW equivalents of these colours TK?

Marines
Spray Black
Basecoat VMC Tierra Mate + 30% VMC Orange Brown
Drybrush with above mix adding increasin amounts of VMC Arena Oscura
Drybrush pure VMC Arena Oscura
Wash recesses with VMC Orange Brown
Weathering armour (chipped paint) with VMC Tierra Mate + Black.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”