What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:16 pm

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a week in possession of an Ichinomiya games day must be in want of a newly painted warband.

Also did this guy, who is supposed to be the test model for the "New Year, New Army" only events occured and there are now more armies.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:59 pm

This thread has kinda turned into "dave paints tiny things and Jye paints far too many things, too fast for a mere mortal", so I've decided to intervene :lol: (it's all lovely work, gents, of course.) I did, btw, as intended, finish up my TWII campaign and have been painting fairly diligently. Only one mini, granted, but it was a fiddly one, and she's done now, so I'm getting on with my army for Naghammer in May. Progress is being made, and plans adhered to. Yay!

So, here's what I painted. My apologies for what are rather blurry photos - my phone camera is being arsey and my proper camera is buried in my closet somewhere. Anyway, minis:

Miss Tique, for Malifaux. She's not quite as disgruntled looking as this photo would have you believe. It's the angle, honest injun...

Also, here's Colette, which I actually did back in december, but I don't think I posted her here yet?

hopefully I'll have more to show by the end of the week. Wish me luck!
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:04 pm

Awesome stuff, as always! The fire is especially *chef's kiss*

I forget, do you make your bases yourself with greenstuff?
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:23 am

Those are looking great, nice work MiJ!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:29 am

Thanks for the kind words. And aye, the bases on my mali stuff is just green stuff roughly spooged into shape. I originally did my showgirls' bases more carefully, sanding them flat etc, but now when I just have one or two to do they tend to end up a bit wobbly cos I'm often rushing it and can't be bothered to add in the smoothing stage. But eh, they work ok as a group.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:37 pm

Decided on an army to play at this month's game day.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:50 pm

oooh, crons...

Sean (my eldest) just put together that Chronomancer today, as it happens. I'll likely be playing against it tomorrow. I'm keen to get some practice in with my dark eldar before the May event. Not that I have any aspirations of being good, or owt, I just don't want to be fumbling through, wasting folks' time with my ignorance.

As for my painting this week, it's been sporadic. Life has been getting all up in my grill, and I've been busy with stuff like making my PC work, and negotiating the rapids of buying a new phone for sean. I hate Apple, now, btw. Just wanna put that out there... :evil:

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:44 am

Had a great game against @Mephiston yesterday where I tried out the 'cross vs Tyranids. We played a Crusade game at 1K points which helped it fit comfy in the timeslot, and I took Hypercrypt despite a lack of Monolith and has a lot of fun bouncing around with teleportation.

Conversely teleporting around 18" super flamers is tricky 😅. I ultimately lost but scored my agendas and got up to lots of robot shenanigans so a good time Indeed!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:49 am

Painting has been in another "nothing high priority to paint" slump, so I've been playing a bunch of Baldur's Gate 3. The Forgotten Realms is a deeply deeply silly setting, and the game seems to expect you to know and care about it rather more than I do, but the combat is fun and it's hard to argue with D&D's "numbers go up" build-planning / leveling-up cycle endorphin rush.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:20 am

I managed a wee bit of painting yesterday, and I'm actually mid-game (well, early-game) against my kids' combined arms force of Necrons and Space Marines. I'm trying to get the hang of objectives, but so far we're at the top of turn 2 and I've already forgotten to attempt to set a teleport beacon :lol: But at least I've remembered that I forgot. So far I have learned:
  • cover is good, and easy to get benefit from.
  • It's very easy to forget things, as rules for any given interaction are spread all over different pieces of paper*
  • being charged by 10 flayed ones is not good for kabalites, at least not for any kabalite who doesnt want to be turned into pate.
  • While shooting your ravager's 3 darklances at a Repulsor Executioner is gratifying, it is not advised, as it just pisses him off, and the ravager Does Not Like the clapback :shock:
I was also kinda surprised to realise that I can barely field 2000pts of dark eldar, at least painted ones. Those lads and lasses are cheap these days.

*I mean, really, does it need to be so complicated? F'r example, a unit of Incubi charge something. Disregarding any shenanigans your opponent might have to hand, you still need to refer to (and remember the relevance of):

Incubi datacard (for base stats)
Archon datacard (s/he gives them re-rolls on wounds)
Archon Enhancement (means they can't be overwatched)
Army Rules for Pain token usage and effect (this gives them extra AP, rerolls to hit, and affects the archon's rule)
Detachment rules (means they get Lance on the charge if they disembarked this turn)
Stratagem usage (so they can disembark and charge)

I suppose, on the plus side, at least all those rules aren't published in different books that each cost upwards of ichi man en, so we should at least be grateful for that, but I can't help but feel there has to be a better way to present rules interactions than "just remember them all". To be fair, those incubi are something of an extreme case, but they're not that extreme. Basically, any time you want to do anything, you really need to be double checking if something else affects what you're about to do. I'm doing my best, but my kids are utterly lost. Sean is remembering to score objectives and regen his necrons, but neither of them has even looked at their stratagems (and while I'd happily point this out, they're already kinda struggling to keep up, so what's happening is that on top of remembering my own rules interactions, I'm trying to remember theirs, too, so I can specifically point out when they might want to burn a CP on something. The cognitive overload is huge, and frankly exhausting.)

But, lest this end on a grumpy tone, I have to say that my kids (and I) are enjoying our game. I kinda see learning the rules as a bit of a mountain to climb, but I guess I'm making progress. Hopefully by May I'll have enough of a handle on things to feel comfortable playing :)

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”