What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:05 am

Yeah I'm a big fan of how 10th rearranged the complexity but it's all still there 😅. Warcry I think is the only GW game that's accessible, the rest have a fair amount of up front rules and rely on enthusiasm and community tutoring to get you over the hump.

I find the carda help a lot and it's nice to only have to remember 6ish detachment strats rather than 20+ faction strats though.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:22 am

I'm absolutely in agreement that the cards help a lot, to the point where I've spent quite some time "cardifying" all the relevant rules, printing them out, and sleeving them (I'm aware I could just buy datasheet cards etc, but I've got 5 factions to get cards for, and an abundance of MtG cards/sleeves kicking about, so home made is the way to go, for now.)

As for the community aspect, I'd wholeheartedly agree, if there was any actual community around my local area. I mean, eh, it's also largely down to me not making the trip to Nagoya more often, but it's kiiinda a bit of a schlep, especially when kids are part of the equation.

I've started watching some tactics vids on youtube, and I see that tabletop simulator looks actually quite schnazzy these days, with, presumably, the right data files. I had assumed 40k would be all top-down, abstract, in the style of old battle reps, but the engine seems more than happy to whiz around to give true LoS and so on, which makes me wonder about the likelihood of being able to get in a game with one or more of you lot, at least as a learning-the-ropes exercise. Would anybody be willing to spend an evening some time helping me fumble my way through a game? It'd have to be pretty late evening, unfortunately - I have family responsibilities until the kiddoes head to bed, so I'm not usually free until 10ish (although, with planning and forward notice, I could probably shift that a couple hours earlier, if it was a friday or saturday evening.) I'd also need to go through the rigmarole of setting up TTS for 40k, as that's something I've yet to fully explore. If anyone could point me in the direction of the right files (or even a how-to) that'd be very much appreciated.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:08 pm

Search for the TTS Warhammer 40k Discord. They should have a lot of guides and links to point you to the Battle forge mod pack with all the models.

There's not much setup if you're joining a game someone else is hosting, you just need have your army saved as an object and good to go.

I would certainly be happy to play, and I sure I'm not the only one.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:38 pm

Cool, and many thanks :) That sounds doable. I'll look into getting something set up, and if all seems good, I'd be very keen to try a game some time. I'll let you know how it goes (probably in the next few days, all going according to plan. Once I get the setup sorted, hopefully we can find mutually agreeable time to get a game in 👍)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ashdevon
Warrior

Post by ashdevon » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 am

Nice bit of batch painting for some Romans this week.

https://i.imgur.com/uD84iG4.jpeg
Nearly finished the pile of miniatures from 2013.
Painting mainly historical with some fantasy and Sci-Fi.

ashdevon
Warrior

Post by ashdevon » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:31 pm

Finished some Roman Legionaries from Warlord Games. Had a bit of a painting renaissance last year and have caught up with the backlog. Will post some projects soon. Hope are all keeping well. Miss you guys and glad to hear NH is happening.

By the Gods. https://imgur.com/gallery/4pUVT2a

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:11 pm

Those are some cool Romans, nice work!

ashdevon
Warrior

Post by ashdevon » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:25 pm

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:11 pm
Those are some cool Romans, nice work!
Thank you so much for saying. I really enjoyed painting these and am thinking of getting some Gauls for the skirmish SPQR range.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:00 pm

How does SPQR play?

Orikan in glorious plastic and a fragment from an older, brutal and dark age - the age of Finecast.

ashdevon
Warrior

Post by ashdevon » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:57 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:00 pm
How does SPQR play?

I haven't played but it's a skirmish game from the same creators of Hail Caesar. Ancient battles from Warlord Games. I really like the models for that particular range.
Great work here. Well done. :)

Orikan in glorious plastic and a fragment from an older, brutal and dark age - the age of Finecast.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”