Time to take stock

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
job
Destroyer of Worlds

Time to take stock

Post by job » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Hey guys, I was thinking with soon 2/3 of the year already past, I think it is time to take stock of each of our collecting-painting situation. Thinking back to January, where are you now with your inventory of collected, unpainted and wanted additions?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Time to take stock

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hark at the funny man! :lol:

Hum, in order:
Collected: way too many
Unpainted: way too many
Wants: way too many

Any more specific than that and we'd be here all day...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Sorry, got to watching a movie [Gladiator, again, but it is a very satisfying revenge story even if it is completely off the rails history wise] and forgot to post.

Flames of War: I feel I have a good collection. Nearly all of it is painted. I spent some time this year redoing the American tanks. I need to redo my British collection. I also have a few tanks to paint, so I am trying to put a break on buying some models, but if Voss ever wants to take up EW in earnest, I think I will be off to painting another army.

40k: I got sick of GW, and I only want to play this at a skirmish level. I have nearly painted everything for my Dark Angel army this year, but I then went about trading for additional stuff. I have a CSM army that has yet to see a paint brush. This army is looking hopeless. :?

Warhammer: I gave up my Mercenary army plans, so now I have a bunch of calvary and pikemen, but my dwarves are nearly all painted up. I have a 2nd gyrocoptor and a few hammerers (which I really don't need for games). This collection looks fine. (Should I do Mordheim conversions sometime?)

Black Powder: Uh, I finished more or less everything. I need to retouch my Light regiment, but I went about and bought another lancer regiment that I always wanted, then bought the models for a 6th regiment, which I finished yesterday, then went on to buy a box of hussars (having gotten carried away reading The Duelists by Joseph Conrad) and more artillery. Then there's that desire to buy and paint Wurttenbergers, Polish infantry, young guards, old guards, Nassau infantry and rifles.... Uh.

Bolt Action: ? When did I begin this new game? Ikeda-san told me a box set that came with a Japanese language set of rules, too, and now I have 30 German infantry (partially thanks to the generous Prim) and 30 American infantry I don't really want. When do I paint these models?

Blood Bowl: half-painted. I must finish this and play.

Epic: I have some models Prim gave to me. Fortunately they are painted to some degree. Yeah, but now I should buy those tanks and such. Waiting to scoop up a Titan on ebay to kick it all off.

Cutlass: Hey, I have actually one game system I don't need to paint anything!

So to round up:
Progress in half my 40k models this year, most of my Napoleonics but I still get ahead of myself in this game, I need to get rid of the excess warhammer stuff, and FoW is at a fairly happy point. :)

Need to work on: Black Powder models (I think I can finish this, I'm on a roll), Dark Angel models (bit by bit it gets done), find time to finish blood bowl, tinker with FoW at times, thinking about whether the CSM or BA models will take priority after that.

Acquisitions: Maybe something to round out the Dark Angels (flyer?), maybe another unit for fun for my French army, should I get in deep with BA, try to avoid purchases for Epic (but I feel sorry writing that because I've made so many statements about jumping into the game. :?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Haven't painted since Jan. 3rd. Too much stress and it is hard to sit down and let the creativity flow on the brush. Now that I am finally coming up for air, I have been looking at my collection and realized something very important, 'I don't remember what colors I used!' This hurts most with warmachine/hordes as they have the harder schemes.

So:

Night Lords I bought from Dan are mostly painted. What isn't will be turned into something else (sorry but don't know your colors nor can I match your skill).

Dark Eldar: Well I got a unit glued together as well as my archon made. With Eigen's trade I have a huge backlog there

Demons: Mostly painted besides the new Nurgle stuff and the Chariot which is just intimidating to even think about.

Warmachine: Khador is mostly painted and the color scheme is easy enough. Circle has a few painted and the colors forgotten, Ret has a lot to be assembled and painted, Blightwater is assembled but unpainted ugh...

FoW: My tanks were the last thing I painted. So my fallschirm are still unpainted. I am very serious about EW, especially after reading rising sun, but with the new tax issues thanks to my company, yeah that is on the back burner. Maybe as a Christmas present....

Bolt action: Poles assembled, unpained

Battletech: Repainting

Warhammer: Don't ask, really needs lot of work here
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:06 am

I was thinking the other day about looking back over the "What did you do today" thread and seeing how much progress I have made this year, so maybe I will do that at some stage.
My feeling is that I am doing pretty well with the things I am interested in, but I still have a long way to go as well.

This year I got two Bolt Action forces built and painted as well as a set of terrain to play over. There is still a lot of stuff I can add to my current forces, especially in terms of vehicles and artillery, but due to the limits the game puts on those types of units, I am in no real hurry. I would love to do more armies for BA such as British or Americans, but I really dont want to end up in the same situation with this that I have for Warhammer.

My interest in Warhammer has faded rapidly over the past couple of years. I still enjoy playing 40K, but none of the new stuff has caught my eye except for FW, which is prohibitively expensive. I've started selling off armies which I have less interest in playing/painting, but I still need to cut a lot more. This is also true for Fantasy as well, I need to get rid of a lot of stuff.

My Napoleonic army is a fair size now, with 7 infantry regiments, 4 artillery batteries and 1 cavalry regiment all finished off. I have 2 more cavalry regiments in various stages on my work pile and a 4th regiment on it's way to round out my force. After that, I can just add units when I feel like it. Painting Napoleonics is a bit of a chore, but very satisfying once they are finished.

My other historical projects are coming along as well. I have starter forces for my Roman and Celt armies finished, so again, I can just feed in units one at a time as the mood takes me. I have a stockpile of stuff to add (160 more Celt warriors for example), so I dont need to worry about buying any more for a looong time. My AZW stuff is underway and I hope to be able to get a starter force for both my Brits and my Zulus finished by the end of the year. Again, I have a stockpile of stuff to work on, so that will keep me busy for a good long time.

As for other games, my Cutlass stuff is nearly all done, Battletech is kind of finished, I am doing bits and pieces for Malifaux and Warmachine as the mood takes me, so I am making slow progress with everything.

On the purchasing front, I haven't been buying a lot recently. My hobby room is full to bursting, I have a load of things to work on and I would quite like to buy a house next year so I don't want to spend a lot at the moment.

As for the future, I want to keep expanding my historical collections, my dream is to be able to refight Waterloo, Isandlwana and the entire Roman invasion of Britian, but honestly those are pipe dreams. :) I do see them as being ongoing projects though. I am also interested in a bunch of other periods, late Medieval, Sengokujidai and the Thirty Years War to name a few. Unless I win the lottery though, I doubt I will ever be able to do much though. Bolt Action is a great temptation to buy more armies for, so it is a constant struggle not to order more stuff for. Unless 40K turns around drastically, I can't see myself buying more for it, probably I will keep getting rid of stuff in all likelihood. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the future holds.

Anyway, enough waffling from me. :D Who's next?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:04 am

I've fallen off the painting wagon a bit since the beginning of summer. Here's what I've got unpainted, though:

Warhammer: A few fanatics and my unit of trolls - the plan is to use Orctoberfest as the impetus to get these done. Technically, I also have dozens of speargoblins, archers, and spider riders unpainted, but since I have more of all those than I'll ever really need already painted up, I consider them more "extra" than "backlog".

Epic: A few dozen stands each of Iron Warriors and Necrons to get those forces filled out. 6 raveners (I'm using 40K rippers) so I can actually field my trygon, since the current Tyranid army list puts them together in a "tunneling swarm". In the box I also have a few more Falcons and a second Storm Serpent for the eldar as well as assorted random bits and bobs for marines and orks, but again those are more extra than anything.

Flames of War: I actually have painted all the models I own. As soon as I get some storage for them (and I realize I've been saying that for a while) I'll buy more and get back to painting.

Advanced Space Crusade: 5 assault marines, 5 terminators, 2 genestealers and 3 warriors. I'm actually pretty close to being done with these fellas. In the backlog are some orks and chaos marines to use as mind slaves, but they'll stay out of the painting rotation until I get some more bases for them.

I still have a bunch of 6mm Napoleonics floating about, and I mean to get them painted up.

Damn me if that's not about it*. I just got paid for a textbook I helped write a bit ago, and I'm thinking of using the proceeds for an Epic Tau army and/or some 6mm WWII stuff, but I've promised myself not to buy anything until I at least get the Space Crusade stuff painted up.

*Oh wait, I have my undead pirate crew too. Ought to paint them up.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:30 am

Collected:

-Tau - all painted to Underdweller Standard
-Tyranids - in a pretty sorry state; about half of them are half-painted, the others are grey and mostly put together with blue tack and stuff.

-Fantasy Lizards - about 80 percent kind of painted. I would like to go back and do a better job though

Malifaux, Warmachine, Cutlass, Bloodbowl - pretty much all painted :)

Wants:

-Tau - not much, maybe a couple of flyers, Piranha, and an Ethereal
-Tyranids - depends on the new codex
-Lizardmen - depends on the new codex
(I doubt I will buy anything much from GW, though, I'll either buy second hand or proxy)

-More containers/foam/etc.
-More space for containers

-Other games- nothing for now, I have enough for the few times I play them each per year!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:33 am

Ok, since everyone else has done so well and actually made the effort to quantify what they've done, I'll take a stab at doing it properly.

Painted this year: my nurgle bikers and biker lord. Most of my Nurgle DP, 3 worms. 3 Eldar support weaps, and a few odds and sods of Mali and warmahordes. Did I paint Kbear's lion lady this year?

What that means is, my armies stand thus:
Dark Eldar: most things are half painted, a few things are finished.
Eldar: about half the army is fully painted, most of the rest is unpainted, a few things are WIP.
Corsairs: almost all built and converted, none painted.
Nurglies: almost all fully painted. Just a couple of HQ awaiting special paint jobs.
Cryx: about half fully painted, the rest are assembled but unpainted.
Trolls: all assembled, half based, none painted.
Showgirls: 2 painted, all based.
Ramos crew: all assembled, based, unpainted.
BfA: all assembled and based, unpainted.

The main project for this year is my Corsairs, which I hope to have done by next Naghammer. There's a list in the hobby log thread, but it's a pretty small model count army, so it should be doable. If the fancy strikes me I also want to do some more regular Eldar/Dark Eldar/Nurglies/Mali/Cryx/Trolls/BfA/Bones.

Want to buy: actually, not that much, to he honest. I have a vague idea that in the long term I might like another couple of Hornets, and a Swamp Troll for my TBs, but that's really about it. I've got a ton of KIckstarter minis still to come (BfA wave 2, Reaper Bones, Imbrian Arts and Toughest Girls in the Galaxy) so tbh I'm pretty much sorted for the foreseeable future.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:53 am

I pretty much haven't painted since May and haven't been missing it to be honest. I got to a stage where it was such a chore that I've left it alone for the time being and have packed paints and minis away for my sons safety. He was chucking dice and Tamiya paint pots around at 10 months so I thought no, time to safe proof.
I now don't have any deadlines or rush to get anything done and it feels a lot better. I hope to get back to it in the winter when the weather isn't as good. Thinking of selling some stuff too, particularly unpainted things. For now I'm painting my ECW this Winter. Nothing set though. After ECW is done I will probably focus on character minis or skirmish level minis, just because whole armies take a lot of time I don't have any longer. It was a damn good 5 years of industrial painting though when all is said and done.
Good thing is I have armies fully painted for the game systems I play so rather than add more stress and deadlines I'll stick with the same old.
40k: Marines
Fantasy: O and G or Wood Elves.
Black Powder: Prussia
Flames of War: Red Devils
Blood Bowl: Amazons

That's all good :D
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”