Rick Priestely on painting standards.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Rick Priestely on painting standards.

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:43 am

They would do a better job if they broke up that expensive how-to-paint guide and just put an extra half a dozen pages in each codex with beginner level instructions on how to paint the main troops. They could then produce a higher level guide to painting (much as they do with the FW painting guides) that folks could move on to later. I think painting guides for newbs are vital, not an expensive optional extra. It irks me they gouge cash out of newbies for stuff that should be included in the army books.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:04 am

me_in_japan wrote:They would do a better job if they broke up that expensive how-to-paint guide and just put an extra half a dozen pages in each codex with beginner level instructions on how to paint the main troops. They could then produce a higher level guide to painting (much as they do with the FW painting guides) that folks could move on to later. I think painting guides for newbs are vital, not an expensive optional extra. It irks me they gouge cash out of newbies for stuff that should be included in the army books.

^ This.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

jehan-reznor
Champion

Post by jehan-reznor » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:27 am

WD painting isn't what it used to be, i am not the best painter in the world, but i expect top notch work from any gaming publication, i never seen a modeling publication, that put together a plane in a shoddy way (and painting) because "not all of our readers are perfect modelers".

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:02 am

jehan-reznor wrote:WD painting isn't what it used to be, i am not the best painter in the world, but i expect top notch work from any gaming publication, i never seen a modeling publication, that put together a plane in a shoddy way (and painting) because "not all of our readers are perfect modelers".

It is not a matter of putting something together in a shoddy way. Miniatures should always be put together and painted well, just not always to Golden Demon standards. Displaying armies that are actually used in games as opposed to being just for the purpose of advertising brings the hobby to a level that the average hobbyist can relate to. I used to enjoy looking at pictures of the writers actual armies in WD back in the day.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:44 pm

me_in_japan wrote:They would do a better job if they broke up that expensive how-to-paint guide and just put an extra half a dozen pages in each codex with beginner level instructions on how to paint the main troops. They could then produce a higher level guide to painting (much as they do with the FW painting guides) that folks could move on to later. I think painting guides for newbs are vital, not an expensive optional extra. It irks me they gouge cash out of newbies for stuff that should be included in the army books.
Alternatively, people complain because all that rubbish about painting miniatures is taking up space in the rule books, making them cost more. You can't plase everyone. The three game-specific paint sets all include a painting guide, and then, of course, there's the stores and staff themselves.

I bought the Dark Vengeance painting guide for the iPad, and it's excellent. It avoids the usual trap that such guides usually fall into:

"Step 1: apply the base colours. Step 2, apply a wash to add shadows. Step 3, mix a lighter shade of the base colours by adding white and apply to the edges. (secret step four, not in the book - get Mike McVey to finish painting the thing). If you've followed these simple steps, your miniature will now not look anything like these expertly-painted ones here".

The 'Eavy Metal miniatures are actually not as intimidating as you'd think, if you look at the closeups. It's really quite "impressionistic" - Looks good in front of a camera or on a table, but if you peer right up at it, you can see the "working".

I've found myself simplifying down, over the years. For example, my Imperial Guard. First time round, they had a three-colour camouflage scheme on the fatigues, the tunic had the piping picked out in a different colour, and the webbing and pouches in one or two more. Boots were one colour, soles another. Weapon casings were in bright colours, requiring an additional white layer first. Then there were the armour plates and the helmets - each different, and with detail colours here and there, and finally the flesh. Now, the fatigues, webbing and pouches are one single colour, the armour plates and helmet another. Weapons and boots are black, and then the flesh - much simpler, and in some cases, multiple different areas get the same wash, speeding things up further.

I don't agree with the argument that well-painted miniatures put people off. By that argument, I'd never get out of bed in the morning. :) GW's early 90s phase of only using block-painted models in White Dwarf was awfully disappointing.

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:23 pm

I don't agree with the argument that well-painted miniatures put people off. By that argument, I'd never get out of bed in the morning. :) GW's early 90s phase of only using block-painted models in White Dwarf was awfully disappointing.
I'm not saying that, but I would prefer to see showcase stuff and actual table top stuff.

If the average gamer could see the armies that actual GW employees play with, they would be feel a lot better about their own stuff.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2017 0

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:37 am

Spevna wrote:I'm not saying that, but I would prefer to see showcase stuff and actual table top stuff.

If the average gamer could see the armies that actual GW employees play with, they would be feel a lot better about their own stuff.
Exactly. And if people realized that "table-top standard" was an actual thing, and saw examples of what it looks like and how to do it well, there might be a lot more painted armies out there.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 am

I think when mini painting really started to take off (ie GW got big) there wasn't really any great difference between tabletop and display standard. People just did their best and by and large it worked out. Now, though, with the things one is expected to pull off for a high level display, the two styles have really diverged. I think if GW (and other companies) were to point out this difference in requirements, say by having most of their painting guides aimed at tabletop with a section at the back with a wee bit of clearly labeled more advanced stuff, and a "further reading" list, that'd be better for everyone. They could also feel free to pimp their "advanced level" painting guide within those pages.

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:34 pm

Talking of painting guides, wrap yer iPad around this:

How to Paint Citadel Miniatures: Tactical Marines by Games Workshop, free this week.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:40 am

Yup - I saw that in my inbox. It is free. It is for newbs. MiJ deeply approves. +1 point for GW. Credit where it's due.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”