Painting drought

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
ashmie
Wargod

Re: Painting drought

Post by ashmie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:07 am

Fantastic news, congratulations mate. :)
Yeah I guess it's just going from gaming twice a month sometimes three to hardly at all has depressed me a little. I used to love the hobby and now I find it hard to even get to a game. Oh well. I'll see what the new year brings.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:20 am

I'm thinking the only way to actually get back into the hobby is to find space and time to paint and have a decent project on the go. My ECW is pretty march abandoned. That stopped me in my tracks really as it never really got going. A unit completed, if that. Then aside from that I have lots of other unfinished projects lingering. Just got to find the headspace I reckon. :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:00 am

ashmie wrote:Fantastic news, congratulations mate. :)
Yeah I guess it's just going from gaming twice a month sometimes three to hardly at all has depressed me a little. I used to love the hobby and now I find it hard to even get to a game. Oh well. I'll see what the new year brings.
Well, another kid is the plan - as I said, she isn't pregnant!
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:20 am

Here's a thought, instead of worrying about whether you are 'in' the hobby or 'out' of the hobby, why not just do what you feel like, when you feel like it. There are no membership fees, no obligations and no requirements to state your intention to game at any given intervals. Don't want to play for a while, no problem, we'll be here if you change your mind. Don't want to paint this month, no sweat, we don't have a minimum standard for how many models you have to paint.

I blame Facebook for the whole idea of having to keep people up to date on your status. :D

Just do your thing and enjoy doing it, whatever 'it' may be.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:37 am

Yup, all that what people said.

The feelings you're having just now are by no means unique to you. I think it's a pretty common state of kind for those into minis, tbh. I often find that busy periods in my work life lead to feeling negative about painting/gaming. I think it has a lot to do with always feeling busy and building up a subconscious resentment of that feeling. I can easily go months without painting, and even longer without getting a game in, but during those periods I'm generally busy with work, family or just really into a particular computer game or TV show.

Don't let yourself fall into the trap of feeling guilty for not painting X units per month. Start, stop, have a dozen unfinished projects on the go, plus a dozen more ideas in your head, watch telly, write poetry, finger paint with Liam. Whatever mood takes you - just go with it. :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:34 am

Thanks Gents. I really appreciate your good cheer it makes me feel much better. I'm lucky really. I've just pulled a random mini out of the to do box for a winter project and guess what.....its a Balrog!
How could I have been so careless?
A Balrog is comiiiing! :lol:

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:49 am

I wouldn't worry too much about the hobby. The models aren't running off anywhere until your son is old enough to start using them. Games happen when they do, and 7 games in a year's time isn't all too terrible at all. Just sit back when you can and enjoy painting the Balrog. Sounds like a fun project.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks everyone.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”