28mm scale Fantasy miniatures

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
jus

28mm scale Fantasy miniatures

Post by jus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:57 am

Oh Hairier faced men than I, if I were after some quality 28mm fantasy miniatures say for D&D which companies websites should I be perusing? ( Besided GW) I quite like the look of the warlord range for frostgrave. Are there any others like that?

I had a look at the reaper bones selection but was looking for something a little more up matket
Suggestions most welcome
Thanks

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: 28mm scale Fantasy miniatures

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:45 am

jus wrote:Oh Hairier faced men than I, if I were after some quality 28mm fantasy miniatures say for D&D which companies websites should I be perusing? ( Besided GW) I quite like the look of the warlord range for frostgrave. Are there any others like that?

I had a look at the reaper bones selection but was looking for something a little more up matket
Suggestions most welcome
Thanks
Frostgrave are produced by Northstar, though Warlord do sell them.
https://www.firestormgames.co.uk/wargam ... ve#c271063 are reasonably priced and offer cheap shipping. Ring Tail also stock them.

If you want better minis than Reaper Bones, why not use...Reaper. Their metal minis are made for D&D, they are high quality and they have thousands to choose from. If you order enough, ($100) they'll give you free delivery too. https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore You'll need to select Rest of the World delivery from the flags at the top of the screen. Again Ring Tail also stock them.
Bones are great for big minis like dragons and giants.

Black Tree Design have a mix of fantasy figures, ranging from good to Oh God, why would you even try to sell that?
Fireforge offer plastic and resin kits though mainly for medieval troops.
There are probably more, but those are what I collect/buy.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

jus

Post by jus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks for the suggestions! The fire forge stuff look quite promising. I'm trying to avoid metal and most window shopping at the moment. The cmon miniatures for zombicide black plague are the most tempting at the moment. Also the priciest, but cool mini or not so have a certain pedigree.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:01 am

I think Yellowstreak has some Zombicide figures, may be worth asking him about them. I thought they were a similar matetial to Bones though?
The newer Bones minis are really good, IMHO. The first KS had some dodgy looking minis with some of the fine detail obscured or missing, but the 2nd and 3rd KS models were great. The 4th KS should be delivered in a couple of months. :D
I guess a lot depends on what you are looking for. Medieval humans are easy to find and cheap enough. Northstar do ranges of humanoid monsters (goblins, snakemen and hyenamen) along with elves and dwarves as part of their Frostgrave/Ghost Archipelago/Oathmark ranges. I believe they are compatible with Fireforge if kitbashing is your thing. Shieldwolf Miniatures do plastic orcs, female rangers and sisters of battle. Mantic also have a large, cheap range. However, nearly all of those are for skirmish games or larger where you need 20 guys in a unit. If you just want a couple of characters, a mix of monsters and a big beasty or two, they may not be so suitable.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:07 am

Kbear will be able to advise better than me, but I distinctly recall painting some custom adventurers for him from a company that allows you to customise your mini then 3d prints it for you. Shapeways, maybe? Kbear would know the details.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:29 am

me_in_japan wrote:Kbear will be able to advise better than me, but I distinctly recall painting some custom adventurers for him from a company that allows you to customise your mini then 3d prints it for you. Shapeways, maybe? Kbear would know the details.
Heroforge is the name I always hear tossed about. Pricey, but if you just need one bespoke mini for your character it's hard to beat, and apparently the print quality is pretty good.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:32 am

The Other Dave wrote:
me_in_japan wrote:Kbear will be able to advise better than me, but I distinctly recall painting some custom adventurers for him from a company that allows you to customise your mini then 3d prints it for you. Shapeways, maybe? Kbear would know the details.
Heroforge is the name I always hear tossed about. Pricey, but if you just need one bespoke mini for your character it's hard to beat, and apparently the print quality is pretty good.
Yep, that is the one. The quality is quite good, but the plastic is quite brittle so be ware of thin appendages etc.

If it is just a few miniatures, I also strongly recommend Dark Sword Miniatures. I have bought a few of these and thought they were great.

https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:13 am

Primarch wrote:I think Yellowstreak has some Zombicide figures, may be worth asking him about them. I thought they were a similar matetial to Bones though?
I’ve only painted a couple of bones figs that I bought as one-offs. The Zombicide figs seemed to be a little firmer than the bones, but still bendier than GW or northstar hard plastics.
The zombicide figs are smaller proportioned than other figs though, think more of a real 25mm vs heroic scale (at least the moderns, I don’t have any of the fantasy stuff)
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:39 am

Have you seen Otherworld's stuff? https://otherworldminiatures.co.uk

Geared towards RPG. I love the character models. Great old school vibe. Not cheap, but very nice indeed.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

jus

Post by jus » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions gents, I appreciate the it. Some of the stuff you all mentioned were really cool.

I ended up investing (heavily) in zombicide black plague. Cool mini or not really do some cool minis. That and being plastic made me go with them for now.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”