Resin Infantry Models

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Resin Infantry Models

Post by Primarch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53 am

Howdy all,
Quick question for those of you who have purchased resin figures from Forge World.
Are they good quality? Any miscast, pieces that cant be worked round, excessive green stuffing required etc?
I have bought a few of their BIG kits, but all of the fiddly little extras seem to be a little too fiddly. The Heavy Stubbers I got with all my tank kits were all bendy and wobbly and no amount of hot water can get them to stay straight. The tanks etc needed a lot of chopping and sanding, how about the little stuff?

Cheers.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Resin Infantry Models

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:17 pm

my nurgle marines, termis, blight drone, and dred are all FW kits, and tbh I had no major issues with them. Sure, there was some cleanup, but no more than on metal kits. I think the big super heavies tend to have more flash on em, as my titan and my cobra had mondo huge big plugs on em that needed to be removed with a damn big saw, whereas my nurglies just needed a wee bit o fiddlin. (well, apart from the almost complete resculpting of their legs, but that wasnt FW's fault. GW just dont make nurgle legs, is all. Unfortunately, neither do FW...)

It has just occurred to me that the bits between the pipes and the main body of the blight drone had some flash in them that was a bugger to remove, but then, it didnt really need to be removed - im just a fussy bugger when it comes to cleanup.

Anyway, I reckon you should get em and be damned.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:15 pm

I do not like them if you are dealing with arms and swards they suck I am dreading day that Cullens sword brakes off and I cant put it back one... they bend a lot. fix them and then you have to fix them again.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:46 am

@badruck: 1) you obviously aint fixin em properly the first time.
2) Ive seen the way you transport minis. Its not that surprising that your resin breaks. I have an eldar titan - the tallest, thinnest, stickiest-outest-gunniest model in the world, and to date, it hasnt broken anything, at all. Ialso have 10 howling banshees, which while smaller, stick out more per square inch than most anything FW makes. Again, never broken em.

Its just a question of transport solutions. i.e. foam, and lots of it, cut to fit.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:51 am

Eldar Player - Custom fit foam trays
Ork Player - Big box with some foam thrown in randomly
Imperial Player (me) - Mass produced, one size fits all* generic foam trays.

Quite apt really.

*Any model found not fitting in said tray is melted down for Heresy! :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:45 am

My red scorpions are always transported in a GW case they are the only models I have ever gotten from FW the swords bend and if you bend them back with heat it works of a bit then it bends back I have use heat. as far as packing models in a box full of foam I have not broken an ork in ages so as far as I am concerned it is has the best track record I have had terminators come a part in the GW case but nothing has ever broken in the 100 yen box filled with foam...I stand by what works...
MIJ
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:57 am

Admiral-Badruck wrote:...I stand by what works...
It only works because your filthy Xenos mind thinks it should.
Stoopid Orks :lol: :lol:

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:37 am

My red scorpions are always transported in a GW case
gomen, dude - i stand corrected.

Do you really have trouble with bending resin? I had to reform some stuff that came warped when it was delivered once or twice, and i no trouble with it. I used a wee convection heater (the kind youd use in the winter to heat a single room. i.e. wot I am using right now to heat my living room) and after holding the resin part in front of it until my fingers got ouchy, it bent any old way i wanted it too. Similar consistency to green stuff, actually (but obviously has to be dealt with much more carefully, as once detail has gone, its gone. Likewise it hardens very, very fast (seconds) so must be reshaped lickety split.) Still, anyway, its totally doable.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:56 pm

Took Cullen out to make room for some models and I ended up with his sword snaping off at the middle of the blade I super glued it but I can't transport him until I can find a better carring case ....
MIJ
MIJ

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:30 pm

is the sword pinnable? youd need to use a weeny tiny wire, but i think itd be doable, looking at the FW website. Its terminator Culln, rather than Power armour Culln, desho?

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”