2019 Hobby Year in Review

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

2019 Hobby Year in Review

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:07 pm

Let's talk about what we did in hobby this year!

With painting, I'm pretty pleased with my output for the year - I've tried some new things with my painting and (I think!) improved in some important ways. Just for fun, here's a dump of all my output:

First is Blackstone Fortress, which was actually huge for me in learning to enjoy painting one or two models at a time to a (pretty) high standard. Also, despite some rather pointed jabs from Primarch at the last games day :lol: I have played it a bunch, just mostly not at the Nagoya games days.
Heroes (for some definition of "hero" at any rate):
And enemies:

The other big output this year was Underworlds, which again is small batches of very different models, perfect for keeping my interest. This also definitely shaped up as my big game for the year - I've been playing a lot up in Ichinomiya - and has pretty strongly solidified into my favorite game, full stop.

Then some bits and bobs for 40K, basically an Inquisitor I'd bought the previous year and my Space Marine Heroes 3 plague marine kill team:
I've kind of been pulling (or been pulled) away from 40K post-NagoyaHammer, partly because I just like being able to play a bunch of easy-to-transport skirmish games in one sitting and partly because of my well-documented Ideas About Scale (to wit, that 28mm is fantastic for skirmishing but gets clunkier the more you try and scale it up). But I still have the smallmarine force I collected for Advanced Space Crusade, so playing is still on the table, as it were.

Age of Sigmar, too, was mostly focused on skirmishing (through WarCry) although I did get my Stormcast up to a solid 1000 points. I don't have a picture of the 5 stormcast I had to paint to get the latter, but here's what I did with WarCry in mind:
(These guys plus the Goblin warband for Underworlds make my go-to WarCry warband.)
Plus the terrain:
And some chaotic beasties:

And finally is Titanicus, which I was initially cool on because it invalidates / ignores my rather large and well-loved Epic collection, but the sheer awesomeness of the models and the really high quality of the game have brought me around.

So altogether that's, as my signature says, 59 models for the 28mm-scale 40K-iverse, 62 models for Sigmar, and 5 titans and 6 knights for Titanicus, plus odds and ends like terrain and spare weapons and such. I had a couple painting slump months, and titans require (but also reward) lots of careful effort which slowed me down a bit, but overall I'm extremely pleased with my output. On the other hand, I had a bit more spending money this year thanks to picking up some part-time lessons, which led to my backlog ballooning quite a bit. I'm trying to get that under control, and working through said backlog while limiting purchases is one of my goals for at least the first part of 2020.

I'm also pleased with how gaming went this year. I've been doing a bunch of gaming at a bunch of different venues (jus living right nearby helped :lol: ) and have found some games I really enjoy both painting and playing, and (importantly) other people who also want to play them. There are a couple games I might have liked to have played more, but that's the nature of how this hobby works as an adult with only monthly meetups. Shikata ga nai! Overall, a good year in hobby for Dave.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: 2019 Hobby Year in Review

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:05 am

blimey. I'm looking at the minis you've done this year (both quantity and quality) and feel a bit hazukashi about even posting here now :oops:

In the interests of contributing to the group, though, here goes:

So, this year I've...

painted some magic cards:
Image ImageImage

Done a small commsision:

painted a bit of shadespire:
(just stormsire - the other two are from 2018)

some nurgle dudes from AoS

and a warcry warband:

I also made Diamond 2 rank in MtG:Arena this week, which is the highest I've ever been. Another couple ranks and I'd be in Mythic, but the whole thing resets tonight and I'll be punted down to gold again :roll: :cry:

So, that's my tally. Nowhere near Dave's brave efforts, but it is what it is, I suppose :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:57 am

Looking back over what I've done this year eh? I can do that. In the interest of keeping this post manageable I have skipped a few minis.
A Breton warband for Saga.
A Bloodbowl team.
Skaven.
Battletech Vehicles.
An Astral Hammers Captain.
Menoth mechs for Warmachine.
A whole bunch of Crusaders.
A Malifaux Crew.
Some Epic marines.
WW2 Japanese.
Black Templars.
Zulus.
A Dwarven warband for Dragon Rampant.
A Mordheim gang.

Overall, I'm pleased with my progress at the beginning of the year, but my output definitely trailed off after I started playing MtG Arena. :lol: While my minis may not be as technically excellent as ToD's or M_i_J's, I'm happy with them.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:45 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:05 am
So, that's my tally. Nowhere near Dave's brave efforts, but it is what it is, I suppose :)
What's the saying, "quality has a quantity all its own"? Something like that. :lol: Nuffin' to be hazukashii about if you paint what you can to the best of your ability. And it's all, as usual, awesome stuff. Where're the non-snakey witch elves from BTW?

@Prim - also good stuff! Painting unit markings on Epic models was more than I could ever be bothered to do. :lol: I'm also intrigued by "feisty lady reporters" as a Malifaux crew - I think I have to get caught up on the lore there.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:25 am

The non-snakey elf ladies are from Raging Heroes. Some of their stuff leans towards the cheescakey, but some of it is so ridiculous that it sails right through it into “actually kinda cool” territory (the multi armed witch elves fall into this category for me.) I have a bunch more of their elves, as well as their post-apoc range Toughest Girls in the Galaxy, both of which I have plans for in the near future, so I may well be painting some of their stuff in 2020 :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”