Grim Dark - 28 Mag

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Grim Dark - 28 Mag

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:15 am

I dunno if this is of any interest to folks here, but there's a new issue of 28 mag out. I'd never heard of it before today, tbh, but turns out it's a (free) online magazine aimed at all aspects of the INQ28/DAOS scene. Painting, modelling, storytelling - the whole shebang. There's some pretty nice work in there, and also tutorials are always useful. Worth a look, if nothing else. Also, free, so there's that...

https://28-mag.com/downloads/?fbclid=Iw ... tjNESbynFE
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: grim dark - 28 mag

Post by Primarch » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:07 am

Thanks for sharing. I downloaded Issue 1 ages ago and then it never got updated again. Glad to see that they ate all still at it. It's a marvelous read, even if you just look at the pictures.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:02 pm

I'm really digging the Averland Warband on Page 23. Any hints on how to get that deep, rich yellow and the sallow, unhealthy looking skin?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Very Nice
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:41 am

Dang, you can see why it took them a while to get an issue out - lots of talent on there.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:02 am

About half-way through the first issue. Lovely, lovely, (that is to say, hideous, nightmarish, grim, rusted and bloody) stuff in there. Loved that the cover artist, Pascal Blanche's stuff. Half Richard Corben, half Frazetta, half Moebius. Some great Diggachick inspiration.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:55 am

Having spent a little time browsing the two magazines as well as a couple of blogs, one thing I have noticed is that the aesthetic tends towards the dehumanization of human minis (mutations, mutilations and cybernetics). The amount of GrimDark alien/non-human races seems pretty minimal in comparison to the Empire/Imperium and Undead/Chaos stuff. The non-human minis chosen are often either semi-human like Genestealer cultists or obvious token aliens included in an Inquisition warband to make them more heretical.
Of course, having inhuman aliens is somewhat superfluous to the body-horror theme that runs through the Dark AoS or Inq28 settings, but I'm kind of interested in how one would go about GrimDark-ifying Orks, Eldar, Necrons and Tau to make them fit the same aesthetic as a coherent force rather than one-offs within a warband. (Nids, being largely non-humanoid are a bit easier to make into gribbly monsters I guess).

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:03 am

Primarch wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:55 am
Having spent a little time browsing the two magazines as well as a couple of blogs, one thing I have noticed is that the aesthetic tends towards the dehumanization of human minis (mutations, mutilations and cybernetics). The amount of GrimDark alien/non-human races seems pretty minimal in comparison to the Empire/Imperium and Undead/Chaos stuff. The non-human minis chosen are often either semi-human like Genestealer cultists or obvious token aliens included in an Inquisition warband to make them more heretical.
Of course, having inhuman aliens is somewhat superfluous to the body-horror theme that runs through the Dark AoS or Inq28 settings, but I'm kind of interested in how one would go about GrimDark-ifying Orks, Eldar, Necrons and Tau to make them fit the same aesthetic as a coherent force rather than one-offs within a warband. (Nids, being largely non-humanoid are a bit easier to make into gribbly monsters I guess).
Good observations there. In that looong article about the Horus Heresy, it touches on that theme. Aliens are by nature alien and can't hit the viewer/player/reader with the same emotional force as a living, breathing, hissing, steaming, mutilated cyborg, mutant, human being. A lot of the weirdness and delight of the GrimDark is the juxtaposition of different sorts of human iconography, and artifacts. Without any reference to human history, it is pretty difficult to play that game, artistically. It would be an interesting painting challenge though.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:43 pm

one possible method might be to take their recognisable features and turn them up to 11. For example, eldar are tall, slim humanoids with pointy ears. Make em abnormally tall and slim, super pointify their ears, and give em ginormous eyes just for shiggles. That kind of thing? Orks could be basically gorillas with squig heads. Dunno - just musing here, really.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:51 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:43 pm
one possible method might be to take their recognisable features and turn them up to 11. For example, eldar are tall, slim humanoids with pointy ears. Make em abnormally tall and slim, super pointify their ears, and give em ginormous eyes just for shiggles. That kind of thing? Orks could be basically gorillas with squig heads. Dunno - just musing here, really.
Yeah, I was thinking something like that. Faceless slender-man panzeez, base your 'nids on Chaos spawn, formless, shifting, mutating maws and claws, model your Tau in like 3 poses, keep the helmets on maybe, make the 'cons all 3 legged whatsits..... without that humanity to hang the horrible weirdness on, it's a lot harder.
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”