Looking for Mundane Hobby Supplies

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Grantholomeu
Veteran

Looking for Mundane Hobby Supplies

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:02 am

I'm looking for two things primarily.
1st: I need some clear coat to seal my models when I'm done painting them. I don't want anything that is matte or gloss or anything, just a clear coat that protects the paint underneath. I've also noticed that my Blood for the Blood God gets sticky after a few months (maybe it's the humidity) so I want to seal that in to prevent it. (Anyone know what "clear coat" is in Japanese? Because Jisho doesn't, and google translate gives me katakana.)
2nd: Where can you find some good cardboard boxes, preferably ones with a removable lid? If I pick up some more terrain, I don't want anything too fancy and expensive to transport it, so I figured decent cardboard boxes should be good.
Thanks fellas!
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Looking for Mundane Hobby Supplies

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:25 am

Anyplace that carries Gundams will have clear coat and such - "matte" or "gloss" or "satin" are really your only choices, though, as any clear coat is necessarily going to have a finish of some sort that'll overwrite the finish of your paints. There are ways to mitigate - what I do for example is use a matte coat (although it's hard to find one that isn't at least a little satiny) and then repaint anything I want shiny with a coat of gloss varnish - Vallejo has a good one.

The "Mr. Hobby" line is generally considered to be good stuff, and their Top Coat sprays are what you're looking for, in a blue and yellow can. They'll all have matte or gloss written on the can in English. But TBH I usually just use clear spray from the home center, as it's much cheaper. Kahma has a good line called DCM (you'll want the "laquer spray") with a nice matte coat. The relevant terms are つや消し for matte and つやあり for gloss.

For cheapo transport, I use plastic A4 document cases from the 100 yen shop - you can get them pretty deep, and with a lid. You can also get free cardboard boxes from most grocery stores, of course.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Konrad
Wargod

Re: Looking for Mundane Hobby Supplies

Post by Konrad » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:35 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:02 am
I'm looking for two things primarily.
1st: I need some clear coat to seal my models when I'm done painting them. I don't want anything that is matte or gloss or anything, just a clear coat that protects the paint underneath. I've also noticed that my Blood for the Blood God gets sticky after a few months (maybe it's the humidity) so I want to seal that in to prevent it. (Anyone know what "clear coat" is in Japanese? Because Jisho doesn't, and google translate gives me katakana.)
2nd: Where can you find some good cardboard boxes, preferably ones with a removable lid? If I pick up some more terrain, I don't want anything too fancy and expensive to transport it, so I figured decent cardboard boxes should be good.
Thanks fellas!
What TOD said about Mr. Hobby.The Mr. Hobby Topcoat is good stuff. I often hit my toys with a gloss for strength (they say gloss finishes are stronger than matte) and then a light matte to kill the shine.
I've had bad experiences with the DCM laquer spray. Darkened the color on some terrain quite a bit. If you get a can, test it on something you don't care about first to see what it does to the color.
For boxes, I always keep my eyes open for mikan boxes at the grocery store.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”