Painting Help

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Painting Help

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:00 am

Yeah, Vallejo's range is a lot less user-friendly in terms of "what is a lighter color than what" than GW is, as their main driver behind making new colors is "based on historical research, we need a slightly-more accurate version of the color used in the middle layer of German Fallschirmjager camouflage smocks in the late autumn of 1944"* rather than "what's the best color to use to highlight this particular shade of pink that we make".

*This is meant to be plausible-sounding but not necessarily accurate word salad, don't @ me. :lol:
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:43 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:00 am
Yeah, Vallejo's range is a lot less user-friendly in terms of "what is a lighter color than what" than GW is, as their main driver behind making new colors is "based on historical research, we need a slightly-more accurate version of the color used in the middle layer of German Fallschirmjager camouflage smocks in the late autumn of 1944"* rather than "what's the best color to use to highlight this particular shade of pink that we make".

*This is meant to be plausible-sounding but not necessarily accurate word salad, don't @ me. :lol:
Do you have any idea how hard it is to find the perfect shade for the color used in the middle layer of German Fallschirmjager camouflage smocks in the late autumn of 1944?

Actually I'll take this opportunity to plug Vallejo's German Camo Beige. I use it on loads of different things, either by itself for simple things like cloth/straps or mixed in with something to give a warm highlight shade.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:26 pm

I sincerely thank you all for the info. I have cut and pasted all this but I can't get the leopard cloak out of my head. Or maybe a CHEETAH cloak. Ya, that's the ticket.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:18 am

I have painted every day for a month now. Not finishing any armies but practicing skills on singles and terrain.

I am having a hard time determining when to stop highlighting. I have been painting 2 highlights for non-characters.

(Please don't say it depends!)
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

jus

Post by jus » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:11 am

I think the apparition is looking great. I don't think it needs anymore highlights. I think Sigmar head could use some more pop by adding some highlights to the cracks. Going over the cracks and edges with a detail brush will really make it pop.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:30 pm

when to stop highlighting?

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

More accurately, it depends :P

More helpfully, it depends on what bit of the mini you're painting. You don't need/want to highlight the model uniformly. After a certain point, highlight only certain parts of the mini - the bits you want to draw attention to. Basically, highlights add contrast. Contrast makes you look at things. So, I'd recommend highlighting the mini based on three steps:

1. highlight the whole thing a bit. Like, not too much. Just a bit.
2. highlight the upward facing surfaces a bit more. Like, maybe 30-50% more than step 1.
3. highlight the face of the mini, as well as any other especially noteworthy bits (like huge teeth, big swords, mystic tomes etc) as high as you can, white if possible.

(on which note, your ghosty guy is a very good example of this. Mostly he's grey, with some bits brighter, and his face basically white. This is the way.)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon May 01, 2023 12:06 am

Balloonacorn wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:26 pm
I sincerely thank you all for the info. I have cut and pasted all this but I can't get the leopard cloak out of my head. Or maybe a CHEETAH cloak. Ya, that's the ticket.
YEEEEEES! BLANCHITSUUUUUUUU!!!!!!
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”