Painting Help

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Balloonacorn
Veteran

Painting Help

Post by Balloonacorn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:38 am

I have decided to Paint my Slaves of Darkness army a word bears red with silver trim. A lot of the models have capes -what colour(s) could the capes be to match the armour?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Painting Help

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:54 am

My general rule is to limit the number of different colors on a mini as much as possible - with that in mind, a neutral color like black or dark brown would probably be the direction I'd go in.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:26 am

It depends. Black would work fine, as long as your red is a kind of bright, pingy red. If it’s a darker, grimmer red, then a white cloak might work better. White is also better for adding stuff like blood splashes or little bits of coloured detail. There’s also the possibility of purple, but that would be quite dominant and would necessitate your red being a bit more on the blueish side.

Basically, you have options :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:40 pm

I was hoping for something in the lighter shades - A cape is something to be celebrated. White was my first thought but it is sooooo hard to paint
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 pm

white is only very rarely actually white. Do it either pale beige, sand, or grey. Any of those should be fine with red.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:09 am

White is hard! But, to get on my Contrast soap-box, if you can get a solid base coat of white or light gray down, either Skeleton Horde (for a cream color) or Apothecary White (for a cooler white) will make the usually pretty onerous task of painting a cloth cloak pretty easy.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:17 am

I use a 50:50 mix of Vallejo Light Grey and Vallejo Foundation White. It goes on in a coat or two (over a light coloured undercoat) and looks like white on the tabletop, especially alongside darker colours.
It looks like this:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:15 pm

The red I was imagining was not a cheery red but a darker red, darker than Khorne red, ...no sparkly red or silver on these warriors

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:44 am

I'm putting in a strong vote for tan or brown. Goes well with dark reds.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:19 am

Any one have a good, simple scheme for pale (human) skin?

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”