The Wonders of Resin 3D Printing

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
ashdevon
Warrior

Re: The Wonders of Resin 3D Printing

Post by ashdevon » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:19 pm

What a great blog. Just been catching up on this. Absolutely incredible. What are we doing buying models when we can now print our own. The toxic fumes made me giggle. Reminds me of the Army Painter quickshade days. Strong stuff. :)
Merry Christmas and a happy new year Nagoyahammer.
Great work Justin. Any chance of a Festive print.
Nearly finished the pile of miniatures from 2013.
Painting mainly historical with some fantasy and Sci-Fi.

jus

Post by jus » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:47 am

@ashdevon: Cheers Ash! You know, that's actually a really good point. What ARE we doing buying models? If this Jotun was released by GW I'd imagine it would go for greater daemon prices - so that's 20000 yen (believe it or not).

The .STL file for the Jotun I recieved for free as a loyalty reward on patreon so it's just the cost of the resin,, a few days and some elbow grease. hmmmm food for thought.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:13 am

jus wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:47 am
If this Jotun was released by GW I'd imagine it would go for greater daemon prices - so that's 20000 yen (believe it or not).
resin,, a few days and some elbow grease.
I'm at the point where I'm super excited for the 3D printing my friends are doing but it's still hilariously non-tempting for me personally. It still seems like the time + money + trouble to get to the happy path outweighs the sticker price for the more convenient and consistent option. And even if there was $$$ reason to go printing it's automating the one part of the hobby process I really enjoy - assembly!

(I was going to whine about resin but it probably doesn't matter so much if you're not assembling)

It seems likely there'll be an inflection point where it no longer makes any sense at all to ship stuff from Nottingham to Australia to Yokohama(?) to a warehouse for a while then to Beppu and then have Yamamoto overnight it to Nagoya and pay someone at every step of the way but weirdly not there yet for everyone :lol:

jus

Post by jus » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:02 am

It's been a hot minute since i've posted anything cool here. so...
Modular hex grid! With all kinds of cool stuff. We've got woods, towns ,forts, mountains, rivers...etc. This is going to be a fun project when I get around to painting it.

Would have been nice to have when we did that warhammer fantasy campaign 7 years ago.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:07 am

*gasp!*

Squeeeee! Hex grid tiles for campaign games! Oooh, the memories I have of playing Mighty Empires with Andrew (he of the recently painted space wolves and blood angels). You should definitely make use of those in a game!
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:37 pm

Cool hexy-terrain. I used to have the old GW plastic set, (and the really really old card tiles from back when dinosaurs ruled the earth). They should look superb once you have them all painted up.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:17 am

Primarch wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:37 pm
Cool hexy-terrain. I used to have the old GW plastic set, (and the really really old card tiles from back when dinosaurs ruled the earth). They should look superb once you have them all painted up.
We used to play Mighty Empires, just out of the box as a lazy afternoon game. Some of the guys did actual WFB armies, and had a campaign going but I never got into it.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:27 am

A big campaign of some kind on the hex board does sound like a lot of fun.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:22 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:27 am
A big campaign of some kind on the hex board does sound like a lot of fun.
It would be pretty awesome, but I think we'd need something to make it work well with a more casual schedule. Like alliances owning particular tiles rather than armies so anyone could swap in on the day to take up the fight.

(I think there's a bit of a spectrum between engagement and resilience in campaign systems, though clever design should be able to mitigate that. I assume there's some very smart ones out there I haven't seen because they're not GW 😅)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:59 am

The best thing about using hex tiles for a campaign map was the ridiculous imbalance in games that came from it. But, it also inherently meant that your goals were different to a normal game.

Like, Army A is in a fight with Army B, and oh dearie me, they get a kicking. Most of em die. So Army A is forced to retreat, a shadow of its former self. Army B buggers off to capture more territory and leaves Army A to slink off and rejoin its allies elsewhere. But what's this? Army C approaches, and attempts to wipe out Army A. So Army C is 2000pts. Army A is a ragtag 250 pts. They're screwed. But how many of the bastards can they take with them? Cos friendly old Army D is comin'! And if Army A can damage Army C enough, D will have a clear shot at hitting B in a couple turns!

Narratiiiiiiiiiive!!!!!!!!!!!
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”