Burning Up the Backlog.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Burning Up the Backlog.

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:24 pm

Right, that's it. I've had enough and I'm drawing a line in the sand. With four posts in two days complaining about having too many unpainted minis, the gloves are coming off and the strict forum admin hat is going on.

What am I ranting about? :roll:

Oh, right, start at the beginning.

Recently four members of our illustrious forum have said they have too many unpainted minis.
Not wanting to name names here, but I will because it's fun.
M_i_J : viewtopic.php?f=97&t=4073&start=50#p64962
Jus : viewtopic.php?f=103&t=4034&start=140#p64984
Karantu : viewtopic.php?f=103&t=4034&start=150#p64998
And, um, Primarch :oops: :oops: : viewtopic.php?f=103&t=4034&start=150#p64993

So, to right this terrible wrong, I am using the powers bestowed upon me to place a terrible geas on each of these four poor examples of hobbyists. By the stroke of midnight September 30, they must complete the task set before them lest they face a most dire and dreadful doom.*

For M_i_J he is set perhaps impossible task of opening up a fresh box of Underworlds miniatures, assembling them and painting them.**

For Jus to complete his quest, he is to paint no less than 5 of his Cursed City miniatures.**

For Karantu, the curse can only be lifted by a freshly painted unit of T'au.**

And for Prim, the most misbegotten of all these poor souls, the price of freedom is set at 30 miniatures for the 30K setting.**

Pity these misguided model hoarders, pray for their safe return to the fold of hobbyists who actually get stuff painted. Cheer them on in this thread. Demand WIP pictures to prove they are on the path to redemption. Help save them from themselves and show them a better way.***

The clock is ticking, doom approaches, doom, DOOM I say!****

* As dire and dreadful as my limited abilities allow anyway.

** For models to count as finished, stuff like basing, any decals and varnishing must be complete too.

*** If anyone else wants to join in, feel free to sign up below.

**** And if anyone has any doubts, this is all meant in good fun.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Karantu
Champion

Re: Burning Up the Backlog.

Post by Karantu » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:38 pm

Thanks for the callout. Nothing like a good ol' curse to get the blood pumping and the paint flowing.
Anyway, digging through my cases of Tau I found these lovely pre-upgrade sprue Pathfinders and thought I might as well paint all of them (which are 2 boxes worth of models and technically 4 units.)

jus

Post by jus » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:43 pm

aaaggh, not the Kraken!
I've been indicated! I'm doomed! Or am I....?
Well,I guess I better get cracking. I accept my quest with all due diligence but rather than just 5 I'm going to shoot for...the entire set of cursed city. Mainly because II actually want to play.

Cheers to Karantu for being the arbitor of doom.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:28 am

To keep up the pressure, here is the challenge facing me:

A World Eaters Legion Champion and Command Squad.

A World Eaters Legion Tactical Squad.

A Thousand Sons Legion Moritat

A Thousand Sons Legion Tactical Squad.

A Word Bearers Legion Ashen Circle Squad. (These already have some colour on them, but I'm going to repaint them in a different shade).

For a total of 32 models.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

jus

Post by jus » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:51 am

@prim: You need a black spot too!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:06 am

Damn yer eyes! I was just about to slip into a comfortable black hole of self pity! Now I actually have to do something about it! What kind of draconian dystopia are we living in?!?!
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:05 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:06 am
What kind of draconian dystopia are we living in?!?!
The kind where people like me are able to start threads like this, AKA the worst kind. :lol:

I made a bit of progress today. My World Eaters command unit has had a base colour and a dark blue wash applied.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:51 pm

I posted about it a few days ago, but I've been sitting on this guy for over a month at this point, so I shall have him finished by the end of the month!

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:34 pm

today's progress:

I took out a box of minis, and decided I would paint them. I'm going to do the vampires from Direchasm, as I kinda sorta maybe have an idea for how I want them to look, and as a bonus the one with the maul will probably do for the Absolute Unit over in the painty thread.

Reason for not actually painting/assembling today: It was my son's birthday, so I spent the evening installing and setting up Fortnite on both the Nintendo and the PC, and making damn sure Every.Single.Parental.Control was turned on on both. This was a long standing promise, and I keep it begrudgingly.

It's an odd game, is Fortnite. Absolutely bugger all explanation of what you're supposed to do, and it's very, VERY easy to assume that you need to buy XYorZ (basically, to actually access any kind of "play game" menu you need to first find the very small button that says "no thanks" below and to the side of the HUUUUUGE NEON BUTTONS that say "buy the battle pass/sub/whatever") Once you're in, they basically throw you out of a flying bus onto an island where everyone is trying to kill you while a murderstorm closes in on you all. :? No explanation of what the hell to do, but I figured one cant go wrong with finding a sniper rifle and a nice high place with only one access point :lol:

Anyway. Done now. Got murderated on my first game. Was 2nd man standing out of 100 on my second. Tomorrow - the world!*

*i.e. painting minis. Not playing Fortnite. At all. Nope.

ps @Prim - Rick (of Rick and Morty) and Superman are not only in Fortnite, but are integral to the trailer for the current season. If I dont see a reciprocal Liliana or Nicol Bolas skin in there soon, I shall be most disgruntled. Because that'd make flavour sense :roll: (where's the vomit emoji when you need it, eh?)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:37 am

I've managed a bit of progress over the weekend.
The front 7 have had two (thinnish) coats of glossy red, the 4 at the back have had one coat.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”