Prim Ponders Painting Power Armour

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

Which Chapters do you think look the best?

Red Scorpions (Loyalist)
No votes
Fire Hawks (Loyalist)
8%
Raptors (Loyalist)
No votes
Minotaurs (Loyalist)
25%
Star Phantoms (Loyalist)
8%
Fire Angels (Loyalist)
No votes
Exorcists (Loyalist)
8%
Nova Marines (Loyalist)
17%
Sons of Medusa (Loyalist)
No votes
Marines Errant (Loyalist)
No votes
Howling Griffons (Loyalist)
No votes
Mantis Warriors (Secessionist)
25%
Executioners (Secessionist)
8%

Total votes: 12

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Prim Ponders Painting Power Armour

Post by Primarch » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:04 am

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice regarding how to paint the models I have in my collection.

For background, I have tons of Space Marines, proper firstborn, MK.VII Armour style marines. Over the many, many years I have been collecting 40K minis, marines have always been what keeps drawing me back to the hobby. Over that time, I have painted several armies, but I have also started and then stopped painting forces dozens of times. Recently, I sorted out all of my unpainted/half painted and damaged minis, rebased them and undercoated them ready to be painted properly. Due to my love of all things Power Armour-y, my two areas of focus in 40K are the Horus Heresy (no surprise there) and the Badab War.
For those of you who aren't aware of it, the Badab War was a small group of secessionist chapters trying to break away from the Imperium because their leader Lufgt Huron threw a temper tantrum when the Imperium wouldn't make him a dozen or so new chapters to lead on a glorious crusade into the warp storm known as the Maelstrom. When the Imperium finally got wind of this secession, they did what the Imperium does best and responded with overwhelming force, deploying 13 chapters to put down the 4 rebel chapters.
Now, I already have a couple of forces painted for the Badab War, (more on those below), but I still have well over 100 marines to paint and I'm looking for some advice. Below I have included pictures of all of the chapters who took part and created a poll for you to cast your vote. Even if marines aren't really your thing, I'd like to ask, "Which army do you think I should paint my spare marines as?" You can vote for as many as you like, but preferably please choose at least one Loyalist and one of the two Secessionist options.

Red Scorpions (Loyalist)
Salamanders (Loyalist)
Carcharodons/Space Sharks (Loyalist)
Fire Hawks (Loyalist)
Raptors (Loyalist)
Minotaurs (Loyalist)
Star Phantoms (Loyalist)
Fire Angels (Loyalist)
Exorcists (Loyalist)
Nova Marines (Loyalist)
Sons of Medusa (Loyalist)
Marines Errant (Loyalist)
Howling Griffons (Loyalist) (2 paint schemes for these guys)
Astral Claws (Secessionist)
Mantis Warriors (Secessionist)
Executioners (Secessionist)
Lamenters (Secessionist)

You may notice that a few of these aren't in the poll. I already have Astral Claws and Space Sharks, so I don't need to paint a second army in those colours. The Lamenters are a Blood Angel successor chapter and so require some BA upgrades and kits like Death Company and Baal Predators that I don't have. I don't want to buy anything new as I am trying to paint what I already have. Plus they are yellow with black and white checks...

You may also notice that Salamanders aren't on the list. I may well paint some Salamanders, but IF I do, they will be built and painted to pull double duty in 30K and 40K using older marks of armour. The bulk of my unpainted minis* are in post-heresy armour, so I won't be painting them here.

*I do have a second pile of unpainted 30K models, but they are already spoken for in other projects.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

jus

Re: Prim Ponders Painting Power Armour

Post by jus » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:09 pm

I vote Lamenters! you can have all my blood angel bits if you want!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:13 pm

jus wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:09 pm
I vote Lamenters! you can have all my blood angel bits if you want!
Thanks! But they are still bright yellow with black and white checks. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:04 pm

Voted 99% based on looks. Also Salamanders.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:08 pm

Voted Mantis Warriors for the natsukashii and Fire Hawks for the ijiwarui.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:49 pm

@Grantholomeu - Doing it based on looks is fine. Marine chapters are really very shallow and vain. :lol:
@ToD - Those are also valid reasons. :shock:

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:18 am

Minotaurs because they are jerks and there are some solid gameplay reasons to run them.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:35 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:18 am
Minotaurs because they are jerks and there are some solid gameplay reasons to run them.
While I don't know much about 9th, even back in 5th Minotaurs were a good anti-astartes choice. Perfect for the marine-centric Badab War.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:45 am

Primarch wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:35 am
While I don't know much about 9th, even back in 5th Minotaurs were a good anti-astartes choice. Perfect for the marine-centric Badab War.
In 9th, because it's unknown which Legion they descend from you can use whatever first founding rules you like, and still take their named characters etc. People have found that useful!

I think a couple of the other Badab War chapters are in the same position, such as Red Scorpions (who also get used, if not quite as often).

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:45 am

i voted nova marines because most of the other ones require a second look to determine what chapter they are (there's lots of darkish green marines, for example) but nova marines are nova marines and nobody else.

Also because I double dog dare you to actually paint a whole army in that scheme. go on. go on. go on go on go on go on go on go on go on...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”