The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge 2022

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge 2022

Post by Primarch » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:05 pm

Every year I enter a painting challenge, and every year I try to encourage fellow forum members to join me. The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (or AHPC) has been running for several years now and has participants from all over the world. The first thing you need to know about the challenge, is that it is not a contest in the style of Golden Daemon or Crystal Brush. While there are some talented painters in the challenge, the aim is to challenge yourself to paint more minis. I don't consider myself a good painter, but I still have a load of fun when I enter. There have been people who entered with their children, posting up their own armies as well as those of their kids to encourage them to join the hobby.

At the start of the challenge you set a points target for yourself. You get points for painting minis during the challenge. A typical 28mm minis is 5 points and a vehicle is about 20 points. The contest runs for 3 months from late December to late March. The typical target is about 500 points, or 100 minis, though some people aim for way less and some lunatics go for 5000. (I'm usually clocking in at 2000 by the end).

During the challenge there are also bonus points available through painting up special entries. These are based around the theme of the challenge. Last year's theme was planets from SF and Fantasy TV shows.

Challengers are also encouraged to challenge each other in painting duels. This could be something like 'who can paint the most points of Space Marines' for example.

Models can be primed and have basing materials applied before the challenge starts, but all painting must be done during the challenge. To claim the points, models must be finished (including bases etc), photographed and the pictures uploaded to the challenge website. Either the organiser or one of his minions* will check the post and confirm the points and post the entry.

Challengers are encouraged to leave feedback for each other and some of them make comments on every single entry, so there is a very positive vibe to the whole thing. Any models from any maker, in any scale are acceptable. You can enter 3d prints, conversions and kitbashes, grimdark SF, high fantasy or historicals, the sky is the limit. Last year someone entered a 28mm scale mountain!?!

The aim of the AHPC is to challenge yourself, to get your backlog reduced and to have fun with a crowd of like-minded hobbyists from around the world. Entry is free** and there are some small prizes available, but motivation is the real benefit I get from the event.

Sign-up usually begins on Nov 20th/21st (The organiser is in Canada, about 15 hours behind Japan time-wise). Usually sign-up closes once there are about 100 people,
#EDIT 70 PEOPLE THIS YEAR# so it is a first come, first served type of thing. I will post a reminder up once it opens. In the meantime here is a link so you can browse the AHPC blog.

http://thepaintingchallenge.blogspot.com/?m=1

If you think you might be interested, check it out.

*I will be one of the minions this year, having been prolific enough in previous years to catch the attention of the powers that be.

**Challengers are asked to make a small donation to a charity linked on the sign-up page.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge 2022

Post by Primarch » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:31 pm

Sign-up is now open, and is limited to 70 places. The theme for this year's bonus entries is... a movie studio, so I'm expecting bonus points for models that fit (very loosely) into movie genres.

So if you have a bit of a backlog in your pile of shame/potential, come over and join in the fun.

http://thepaintingchallenge.blogspot.co ... s.html?m=1

If you just want to dip your toe in the water, set yourself a small target, (100 points is roughly 20 minis in 3 months), and see how you get on.

From the organiser:
For those wishing to participate please send me an email, providing:
1) your full name,
2) your country of residence
3) your blog address (if you have one), and
3) your points target for the three months of the event.
My email address is:
curtcampbell at mac dot com
I will post a comment below when the roster has been filled and will follow-up with an email in a couple weeks detailing the specifics of the event.

Many participants have found the personal points targets to be a great incentive in maintaining their pace over the three months of the Challenge. I encourage participants to pick a target that is just beyond your comfort zone, but still achievable. As a rough benchmark, 300 points is considered a manageable amount for someone who is new to the the event and/or has a busy work/life schedule. Also remember that a significant amount of points can be secured by adventuring in 'AHPC Studios' (more on this in a later post).

Relating to the points targets, many folks have a lot of fun issuing 'duels' to other participants in order to race to meet a declared target, paint the most figures for a specific period, etc. I leave this to the participants to dream-up, organize and keep track of.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge 2022

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:49 pm

Sounds like a good time - with only 70 slots I'm happy to cheer from the sidelines though, good luck!

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”