Primer Question

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Treestun
Rookie

Primer Question

Post by Treestun » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:14 am

I was wondering what the goto primer is here in Japan. Back in the states I just went to Walmart and grabbed black spray paint but wanted to check with y’all first before I purchased anything.

Thank you in advance!

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Re: Primer Question

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:35 am

I use this stuff. You can get it at Volk's near Kamimaezu, which you should check out if you haven't been there before.
Be careful it isn't too hot or humid when spraying though. The white one especially can pick up water from the air if you aren't careful.

There's probably a Mr. Hobby primer or something, but if there is I've never used it. It seems to me those are geared more towards Gundam style painting.

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:24 am

I just use black spray paint from the home center personally - it's not "technically" primer so could theoretically rub off more easily than actual primer, but I've never had any issues and it's only like 800 yen for a big old can.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:11 am

My apartment is now mostly filled with empty cans of Wraithbone.

I don't know if I *recommend* this course of action but it certainly primes the model and works well with Contrast.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:59 am

Just to be That Guy, I use Vallejo Surface Primer through an airbrush. Yes, I realise that's probably not an option for you right now, but if it ever does become an option for you, I'd recommend you at least consider it. Airbrushes have a multitude of uses, but by far the one I use mine for the most is zenithal priming.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

jus

Post by jus » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:12 am

Just to be That other Guy. I also use vallejo surface primer through an airbrush and have done for hundreds of minis. Excellent results under any weather conditions but the above mentioned options are not only more accessible but probably more suited to your needs.

If you want you can even bring them over and I can prime them for you.

Treestun
Rookie

Post by Treestun » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:57 pm

Thanks everyone! Not sure if I'm ready for Air Brushing just yet, but I will check out Volks and also my local home center for some black spray paint.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:49 am

Mr. Hobby or Tamiya will do just fine. I typically prime white and use one or the other. Mr. Hobby has some stuff called "Finishing Surfacer" that seems to do the job of a primer that seems to do the trick. I figure any matte black big-box spray paint will work if it worked back home.

Jus and mij are true primer connoisseurs, nothing but the best, the champagne of base-coats will meet their exacting standards, but then they are huffing the stuff in addition to prepping their toys.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”