Priming Models - Newbie Question

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Domikaze
Rookie

Priming Models - Newbie Question

Post by Domikaze » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:16 pm

Hey everyone,

So, all of my models (Orks!) finally came in and waite/jolith have been showing me some basics with priming/painting, but I was wondering if anyone had any input about a problem I have been having with it:

I can't seem to find any black primer for my models, so I bought a gray one (Tamiya brand) at my local Joshin. However, I definitely should have gone with black, as my models will definitely need it for the smaller details and parts that I can't paint well enough just yet. So, I was wondering two things:

1) Does anyone know where else to find black primer other than a Joshin or other electronic/hobby stores? I went to a few home good places, but I am not sure what would/might be a suitable replacement and my Japanese isn't good enough to tell the difference between what is just spray paint and what isn't.

2) I was also thinking of just using the gray primer, then a black (Tamiya) spray over it. Would this work? I don't want to try this and find out it's going to make my models paint chip right off or something.

So, basically I don't really know the first thing about painting/priming as I am just starting out, so if anyone has any other additional tips, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks! :mrgreen:

- Dom

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Priming Models - Newbie Question

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:25 pm

You can just use regular black spray paint. Dont worry about paint chipping off since:
A) If the model is plastic, it wont chip off unless you take a metal file to it.
B) If the model is metal it will chip no matter what you do.

I use Tamiya Matt Black spray paint on all my models and it is fine. Some of the "painty-types" on here will probably recommend some specific spray or technique, but unless you're a really good painter it doesn't make a lot of difference to tell the truth.

Primarch.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 pm

As the resident "painty type" round here, I have this to say:

Just use any old spray paint. Tamiya is what I use, too.

One addendum is: Dont use spray paint to get a completely black coat (or any other colour) on your minis. Thats not what its for. The purpose of any spray undercoat is to give the subsequent layer of paint something to stick to. Plastic or metal minis are quite repellant to paint, but spray paint has much better adhesion than brush on stuff. Thats what the spray undercoat is for: a slightly grainy surface for the brush on layer to stick to. If you try and get complete, smooth, flat black coverage with spray paint, you'll destroy the detail and and up with a layer of paint that other paint wont want to stick to.

Thus, the colour of your undercoat doesnt really matter, as you should really be painting over the top of it anyway. Black undercoat will make it less fiddly to get dark shades in the creases and folds of your mini, though.

oh, and the technique to which Prim refers is: "pfft pfft pfft. not psssssssssssssshhhhhht"

oh, and I cant say this strongly enough: get a brush-on gloss varnish. And get a spray on matt varnish. Use the gloss, let it dry overnight, then give your minis a quick pfft with the matt. Youll end up with a rock-hard, non-gloss coating. It shouldnt chip, unless you drop a mini or something.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Tamiya TS-6 Matt Black Spray Paint is your friend. You can get it at all good hobby stores and many toy stores too.

I'm definitely not a 'painty' type but I beg to differ with M_i_J on the whole coverage thingy :twisted:

I undercoat almost all my models 'completely' with spray paint as mentioned above. To tell the truth I have no idea whether my techniques qualifies as "pfft pfft pfft" or "psssssssssssssshhhhhht" probably a happy medium. It's not thick enough to obscure detail but from arm's length it looks as though all the bare metal/plastic is covered. Practice on some of your cheap rank-and-file troopers first before trying things out on your expensive HQ units, so you can get your technique down.

Why? Mostly because I'm a lazy painter and a good black undercoat hides a multitude of sins, especially when painting a lot of models at once. Besides if it's good enough for the 'eavy metal team then it's good enough for a hack like me.

Still not sure? Then you could go the way of GeOrc (google him), a none to shabby painter who actually does both!
Morituri nolumus mori!

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:20 am

Or you could save time by Spraying them the color you are going to paint them... Examples... EvilSunz could start out red...unless you are going for a showroom look for the whole army it may be better to just get the boyz done and over with... I have painted more that I ever wanted to and I can't say it is very fun... after the frist 20...you are going to want to find some short cuts..
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:01 am

I don't use spray, just a large brush. The only reason is because I can't be bothered to go outside to spray my minis.

If I were to use a spray I would;

Spray black in short controlled bursts
Once dry I would go over the minis with large brush and some watered down black paint.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:46 am

Spev has the right idea, I reckon. Listen to Spev - Spev knows best :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm

He knows how to make things look like Spevena's models...(not a bad thing at all) but there is more than one way to skin an Eldar...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote: Spevena

Do I have a twin sister that nobody told me about?
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:35 pm

Didn't you know? She and Latka have a thing going on. :D
Morituri nolumus mori!

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”