A Very Important Thing

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

A Very Important Thing

Post by Primarch » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:25 am

Recently something has cropped up in numerous threads that I think needs to be discussed.
Files.jpg
These are modelling files. These are your friends.

When you are building your latest kit, be it plastic, resin or metal, the odds are that somewhere on the model their will be a mould line. On newer models these are usually smaller, but they are there just the same. Likewise when you clip pieces from a sprue you will probably have little bits of sprue left sticking off the model. These ALL need to go! These are bad and they will make your latest masterpiece look like an amatuer-piece.

It only takes a couple of minutes to carefully use the files to remove the mould lines and smooth out the model. Be careful not to rub too hard or you may damage the piece, but with the some care you can get the model looking nice. When filing be sure to support the piece properly as it is possible to snap fine parts if you aren't careful. If you are filing resin, where a dust mask and do it outside on the balcony or somewhere as resin dust is toxic if you inhale it.

Once you put your model together and paint it, the mould lines may actually appear bigger and worse than they at first appear since drybrushing and washes will both serve to highlight them. Avoid having to repaint you mini by removing them first.

Files can also do one other important job for you. If there is a noticeable join between two peices, gently file over the top of the join, perpendicular to the joint line. This will, if done properly, push a little plastic/whatever, into the join, seamlessly blending the two.

There are lots of veterans on this site who often skip this step of mini building. If you want to get your army put together in a hurry, some people just go straight ahead with the glue without a thought to what the finished model will look like.

And on a final note. Models often change hands as people get bored of armies or need some extra cash. Spare a thought for the people who will be inheriting your army. There is a good chance it may even be me.

In summary. Files GOOD. Mould lines BAD

That is all.
P.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: A Very Important Thing

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:28 am

There are lots of veterans on this site who often skip this step of mini building.
:o who!?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:00 am

I have to say that I almost never do it... and I know I should... from here on out I will strive to take the mold lines off my models.. or at least green stuff over them so they can not be seen on my conversions and metal models... plastics and Forge World models should never have them left on the models... I have been call to repentance... no need to strap me into a Penitent-engine transgression will be forgotten if from now I can keep a mold-line free army...
Last edited by Admiral-Badruck on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:58 am

I agree it can be dang tedious removing mould lines. Thats a big disadvantage of my "buy an army at a time" policy. 20 Kabailites, 10 wyches, 10 incubi, 3 raiders and 6 reavers look lovely, but daaaaaaaamn does it take a long time to clean em up...

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:29 pm

Yes, I learned this important lesson today thanks to Prim.

I want to talk about files, I bought some small files for detail work, but after trying to use them on metal, the files are the ones that got filed down, not the model. I guess I need to go get me some proper files?

Any recommendations?

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:33 pm

tbh I find a good sharp hobby knife will do 99% of the work for you. Get a set of files from a hardware store (diamond coated ones are common) and you should be good to go. Honestly though, I only use files on bits where the knife wont reach.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:19 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I agree it can be dang tedious removing mould lines. Thats a big disadvantage of my "buy an army at a time" policy. 20 Kabailites, 10 wyches, 10 incubi, 3 raiders and 6 reavers look lovely, but daaaaaaaamn does it take a long time to clean em up...
After picking up a box of wyches at Yellow Submarine, I am inclined to agree on this point.
The models are so fine that you have to be very careful with them.
me_in_japan wrote:tbh I find a good sharp hobby knife will do 99% of the work for you. Get a set of files from a hardware store (diamond coated ones are common) and you should be good to go. Honestly though, I only use files on bits where the knife wont reach.
I've tried using a knife, but I prefer a file personally. I bought a pack of 10 from Tokyu Hands (I think) all different shapes and sizes, and they have lasted a good long time.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Primarch wrote:[After picking up a box of wyches at Yellow Submarine, I am inclined to agree on this point.
How come you bought models at Yellow Submarine?
Primarch wrote:I've tried using a knife, but I prefer a file personally. I bought a pack of 10 from Tokyu Hands (I think) all different shapes and sizes, and they have lasted a good long time.
Yes I also bought mine at Toukyuu Hands, there are about 5 in different colour, but I must have bought files for other materials.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Seb wrote:
Primarch wrote:[After picking up a box of wyches at Yellow Submarine, I am inclined to agree on this point.
How come you bought models at Yellow Submarine?
Normally I dont buy models there, it is expensive compared to ordering models from overseas. However, I had a lesson in Sakae and some time to kill so I went to the store to kill some time and picked up one box as something cool to build. My own Dark Eldar army wont be purchased until the new year.
Plus it was raining (5% discount if you go on a rainy day) and I have a 10% discount card so I didnt pay full price for them.

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:10 pm

The one time I went there I got the impression that they didn't have many models for sale, it seemed kind of random. Do they only sell what they display in the store or do they have some stock hidden away from the eyes of customers?

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”