Oil Based Paints are they any good? Pros and Cons

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Oil Based Paints are they any good? Pros and Cons

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun May 30, 2010 12:30 am

I had a chat with M-I-J the other day about paints... He was going on and on about how cool oil paints are... I though about it, and instead of just saying "Cool," and then totally ignoring the advice of a mad man... or is it the most decorated painter on this forum...Hell that is his Panzy on the jet bike that you see every time you come to this page... if that is not good painting I do not know what is...

Anyhow it looks like he has let me in on a well kept champion painters secret. Oil paints...Yes oil paints the kind you used when you were a kid when your mom made you take painting classes.. those paints...

Well I went down to the local art store and found that they have an unbelievable selection of colors..4000 yen later I had a few new paint brushes, 4 colors of the highest quality oil paint, and some odorless paint thinner.

I came home and started painting on my 30K World Eaters and with just a few quick touches of oil based paint I was hooked.

this morning I thought Why aren't we all using the them... we could be and we should be... "Why?" you may say let me tell you...
First they do not dry as fast as water based paints this is helpful for many reasons but for me it is really helpful because when I am working with a small amount of paint on my brush I do not want it drying on the brush before I can apply the paint where I want it to go...

Second IMHO you will never need washes or inks ever again unless you really like the way the washes pool of the way the inks make things pop out a bit more... I find that tinned oil paints do the job very much better.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Oil Based Paints are they any good? Pros and Cons

Post by Primarch » Sun May 30, 2010 9:38 am

Sounds good, a few questions for those in the know though.

Do White, Yellow and Red come out looking better with oil paints? How are they for painting over the top of? I have found before that after using some spray paints, later coats dont adhere very well and tend to rub off easily.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun May 30, 2010 12:59 pm

I find that you can paint on top with out any problem but you have to wait until the oil paints are really dry.. .and the White I have takes a few days to dry... find that I can paint on top of the dry water based paints very well.. the red that I gave used is working out very well.. but i have not worked with yellow yet... not sure when I will get a chance to work with it either.. I may use a bit of it on My badmoons and on my Red scorpions as well... I will let you know...
MIJ
MIJ

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun May 30, 2010 2:05 pm

the big issue with oils is drying time. I use them for weathering effects, and as such they go on after the mini is mostly finished. Theyre the second last thing on the mini, with pigments being the last. As badruck pointed out, they can take days to dry. Thats per colour. So if you want to paint one colour over another (e.g paint yer marine blue, then paint an ultramarine symbol on his shoulder, then paint a black outline round the symbol) youre looking at 6-9 days for just those three colours. Im not saying oils dont work. They have some really funky effects, and oils washes widdle all over acrylic ones in terms of ease of use and accuracy, but for basic base-coat coverage, id stick with acrylics. Still, im v interested to see how badrucks new style world eaters turn out.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun May 30, 2010 2:28 pm

as for the White looking better it sure dose look good and oils blend so much better than the acrylic paints...I am love the results so far....
MIJ
MIJ

kaz
Rookie

Post by kaz » Mon May 31, 2010 12:26 am

For shortening dry time a oil painter may uses covered crockpot.
http://www.timelinesforum.com/index.php ... ntingoils1

And there is the drying medium too.

http://figuart.cool.ne.jp/oil/oilh.htm
sorry for Japanese page.

Kaz
If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon May 31, 2010 10:18 am

Crock Pot... hummm 150 degrees I sure hope that is not Celsius I think that would cook my models..
MIJ
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon May 31, 2010 12:22 pm

Badruck, I'd like to see a comparison side by side of your world eaters, acrylic and oil.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon May 31, 2010 12:59 pm

Badruck, I'd like to see a comparison side by side of your world eaters, acrylic and oil.
me too
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon May 31, 2010 3:10 pm

Go check it out on the facebook Group...
MIJ
MIJ

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”