Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:24 am

Good to see you back in the water, chief. I've been playing a wee bit. Like, maybe once a week or so? I have it on my phone, so I play when I'm waiting in the car for the kids to finish their swimming lesson and suchlike. I've mostly been playing historic brawl and draft. I think I made it to level 50 or so last season, which is ok, I guess.

I'm enjoying the dominaria story, although you'd think a company the size of Hasbro could afford some decent writers. Or even proofreaders. But eh, I like reading stories about places and characters I'm invested in. Card-wise, yay sheoldred! Phyrexians are cool, and im happy to see them. I haven't really seen much that's made me go "oooh" but I suppose that's a good thing. I'm toying with getting a box of draft cards, but thats honestly because I want to draft it, rather than wanting any specific card from the set. (Albeit I wouldn't say no to a Liliana of the Veil. I've already got a Tinybones and a Tergrid, and am resisting the push to make a discard commander deck, cos it'd be miserable.)

Oh, and the stained glass lands are purty, but not as enticing as the seb McKinnon lands, which I'm absolutely going to get and alter into full arts.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:18 am

Ooh, looks like we're getting more Remastered cards next year.

Also 30th Anniversary, WTF??$$$$$
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:37 am

Oooh, that 30th anniversary thing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, there aren't enough laugh emojis in the world to convey my disdain for that product.**

I see they're doing Shadows over Innistrad for arena later on. That's actually quite good news, as it's one of my favourite sets, as well as being the one that got me back into magic after a bit of a hiatus post lorwyn. I'll be able to build my angry avacyn commander deck, too, which is nice. I bet they cut Emrakul*, though :cry:

How have you been doing with Dominaria? Playing it much?

*I just don't see how they can implement "gain control of target player"

** In a slightly more thoughtful analysis, I've seen a lot of pushback online about the 30th anniv release. It's been even more negative than the reaction to the double-rare-cost for historic wildcards on arena, or, I dunno, fortnite secret lairs. I don't think I've seen any responses other than scathing hatred of the concept. It'll be interesting to see if WotC addresses it at all. Probably won't, but if they do it'll be interesting.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:31 pm

Yeah, I figured you'd be excited about Innistrad. :D
If Emrakul is in the set, it is pretty much a win condition on its own, right? With only two players, there is no way to remove the effect.

I've been playing some Dominaria, about 7 or 8 Quick Drafts so far. It's okay I guess. There is some useful stuff for my Brawl and Historic decks in the set. I never play Standard, so Draft is my only real interaction with most of the cards.

The 30th anniversary set was quite an emotional roller coaster ride. I felt really nostalgic when I first saw them, then really shocked when I first looked at the price,$1000 for the set! WOW! And then stunned disbelief when I realized what $1000 actually buys you. Like a card you can discard to exile and then cast for a lower cost, it's Madness I tell you, sheer madness.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”