Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:14 pm

Well, I made it to Mastery level 130, with a day or two to spare. I also made it to Diamond again in the process, which was nice. Can't get out of Diamond 4, though. I also, on a bit of an impulse, tbh, entered the historic challenge event (I had a bunch of gold hanging about). For the 10k entry fee, I got some schnazzy sleeves (Damnation), and I eventually went 3-3, which was tbh better than I had expected. 1 of my losses was reaaaaally close (we were both down to 2 health at one point, but...Uro) 1 was an ass kicking (azorius control. Authority of the Consuls does Not Like my deck :( ) and 1 was just a regular common-or-garden loss (gruul aggro. Meh, he drew well on curve and I didnt. Whacha gonna do? *shrug*) Still, it was fairly fun, and my l'il ol' janky zombie tribal deck did not embarrass itself. I also got 3 rares, 2 gem-replaced rares, and 3000 gold, plus the actual games (which, due to the somewhat higher than usual stakes, were quite tense) so overall I'd say it was worthwhile.

Roll on Kaldheim... ;)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:01 am

https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/produ ... eim-part-1

Huzzah! Uro is getting banned. In at least modern, pioneer and historic. And also currently under consideration for vintage/legacy/whatever-one-doesn’t-matter-cos-it’s-not something-I’ll-ever-play. Anyway. If a card is getting banned in 3, possibly 4 formats (including, potentially, legacy! :o ) it really shouldn’t have existed in the first place. Stoopid card :evil:

Also, way to announce banning of a format warping card in your sales announcement. Cmon, guys, there has to be a better way than this, no?

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:07 am

Wizards has just realized it's both cheaper to not pay for playtesters, and more lucrative to let people buy lots of packs hoping for cards that are expensive only because they are broken.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:04 am

@M_i_J - I feel safe in saying that Ramp is definitely dead now. We'll never see Ramp in Magic again. :?

@Grantholomeu - Hasn't that been their strategy since day one?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:18 pm

Just a psa - for the next 24hours, the special offer in the store is a player draft token for 5000. That’s a bloody good deal, even if you don’t fancy Kaldheim. You can stash it and use it for a historic set down the line or something. Anyhoo: psa complete. Carry on...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:14 am

PSA - 500 gold boosters (note plural there) in the store today.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:03 pm

indeed. They've been added to the stash.

How's Kaldheim been going for you? I've had a rather disappointing time in draft. Best I've managed so far is 4-3, and there've been a lot of 1-3s and 2-3s. It's just nae daein' it fur me. I seem to build reasonable decks, but if I ever get 3 wins the shuffler will murder me for the next three games. Flood or screw, but one of em will happen 3 games in a row if I win 3 in a row. Tested this 3 times. Blah blah, shuffler hates me, game's rigged, etc etc :roll:

eh, at least the store has decent deals.

Also, did you see the announcement about Strixhaven alternate arts? I'll concede that the prospect of opening a foil, Japanese demonic tutor in a regular pack is...quite enticing. Which is a shame, as up until today I had decided not to spend much on Strixhaven - the concept doesnt appeal at all, and it's not like I have anyone to draft with aside from my kids. Figured I could just buy singles as I needed em for decks. On top of that, I really like the Black is Magic secret lair. Big Tef is a card I've wanted for ages, and Kaya would fit into my Aminatou deck perfectly. The art on that Sol Ring is lovely, too.

Buuuuuut, I have massively overspent on X-wing stuff this past week or two. Just got a right bee in my bonnet about it, so splurged a bit. In and off itself it's not a huge problem, but it does mean I need to reign in my spending for a while. Damn you wizards, making me want to buy your stuff *shakes fist at the sky*

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:54 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:03 pm
How's Kaldheim been going for you? I've had a rather disappointing time in draft. Best I've managed so far is 4-3, and there've been a lot of 1-3s and 2-3s. It's just nae daein' it fur me. I seem to build reasonable decks, but if I ever get 3 wins the shuffler will murder me for the next three games. Flood or screw, but one of em will happen 3 games in a row if I win 3 in a row. Tested this 3 times. Blah blah, shuffler hates me, game's rigged, etc etc :roll:
So it's not just me then. I'm on my 7th Quick Draft and I have won 10 games total so far, so thats less than 1.5-3 on average. :cry: There are some really cool cards in the set, I just can't seem to win with them. My best result (4-3) was with Koma, Cosmos Serpent winning me 3 of those games.

I haven't seen anything about Strixhaven yet, I doubt I'll buy much though. MtG boxes are a bit outside my current budgeting plans at the moment. That may change by the time it's released, but I can't imagine I'll buy more than a few boosters at best.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:03 pm

Ah, so: Strixhaven had an announcement on Friday there. A card for each of the Houses, which is fine, but more importantly there was an announcement that cos of it being a college and there being a library, there would be an “archive” card in every pack (note: that’s pack, not box). These are basically Masterpiece cards. See pics below. Then they announced that Japanese packs have a 50:50 chance of having a super special J-style masterpiece. Which, to be fair, look fething lovely. See below for those, too.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:45 pm

Very pretty. Sadly only available in Japanese packs, so I doubt I will be getting any. The regular masterpiece cards do look quite good, but not as nice as the extra rare Japanese ones.

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”