Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:03 pm

apology accepted, captain needa...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:56 am

Recently I’ve been very into Fortnite, and (perhaps surprisingly) also painting a bit, and so haven’t been playing much Arena. So much so, in fact, that I won’t even be buying the mastery pass next season, unless I somehow spring out of my lethargy and do well enough by the end to justify it. I got my stats report for MID today, and it’s pretty revealing:

for some reason I never got the mail for midnight hunt/kaldheim

and finally...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:36 am

I did alright with Midnight Hunt.
If Jumpstart and Jump In had been the same format, that would probably have been my favourite one, I played the heck out of both of them. :D
Interesting that your favourite colour is green though. I would have thought it would be black or blue.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:05 am

I didnt play any jump in. Didnt see the point, as I thought it was supposed to be for new players? I never actually saw what it was supposed to be like, though. Was there an entry cost and/or any kind of rewards for playing? How did it work, exactly?

As for green being my colour of choice, that would be my historic brawl being mostly Lonis and Hapatra. I did also play an esper artifacts deck a fair bit in Historic/Play (its a work in progress), but that was 3 colours split in one deck, as opposed to 3 colours split over 2 decks with way more games played.

I've been playing maybe once a week or so, maybe twice, through midnight hunt. I like Innistrad, I like werewolves, but the fact we only had a short time to collect the cards, learn the meta, and build a deck has really turned me off. I feel like we'll just be constantly running to catch up. I dont like that, so I kinda lost interest almost completely. I'm almost playing now just cos I feel I have to maintain some kind of presence in order to not fall too far behind. That said, I also think my recent foray into Fortnite is coming to a close - I've maxed out their equivalent of the Mastery Pass and there's literally no rewards for further play. The season won't change until December 5th, so I have until then to do what I fancy, assuming I even go back to it at all (I was mostly just curious as to what kind of commitment was required to efficiently gather rewards for the game. Not that much, is the answer.) I've got a game of 1p40k lined up against Mus on Sunday that I'm painting some minis for, but once that's done I might get back onto Arena. I'm interested in the cards for teh set, at least. Not sure if I can be arsed learning teh draft format, though.

I'm also still very interested in playing paper magic, and my commander decks have been gradually getting fiddled with over the past few months. I'm building a new deck for Noah. He wanted Vamps/Werewolves, and I actually bought a bunch of stuff for said tribes, but the more I look at it, the less likely it seems to be doable. There's just no synergy (which makes perfect sense, obviously. I'm trying to shoehorn two completely unrelated things into the same deck.) It was going to be dual commander Tovolar and Vona (which I know is a complete rule-break, but it's for an 8yo, so I figure sure, whatevs) but I'm probably going to split it into two separate decks. It was kinda nice to have the white from Vona in there for spellcasting limiting effects (rule of law etc) to help curb people messing with my weres, but hey ho. Back to the ol' Gruul we go...

Also, I've changed Sean's Hapatra deck to be more infect-y. It also now contains Yawgmoth, Thran Physician. So...yeah. That's gonna sting when that goes off. Galazeth has been fiddled with, and of course Gisa and Geralf has seen some changes thanks to MidHunt and will see more once I get my hands on Vow cards. Finally, Aminatou has had several higher power cards and more control added. Because that's what that deck really needed. :lol:

Would you be up for some commander some time? I have no idea when, but maybe in December, before or after any holidays that might take place?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:29 am

Jump in was 1000 gold for two packs, with a similar style to Jumpstart. The packs all contained cards from the current standard. I was able to get a good few rares I needed, especially for MID.

I haven't played paper Magic in a while. I think I managed one game with Koji during one of the lulls in the Corona numbers, but beyond that my stuff has just been sat in boxes for a while. One of my co-workers at the J.H.S has been encouraging me to go back to the Nagoya EDH group now that I'm all vaxxed up, but I'm not sure if/when I will go. It's fun to play and all, but everyone tends to run well tuned decks with purpose bought cards, whereas I prefer my "I had it, so I threw it into the pile" approach to playing. :lol:

I tried my first couple of games of the 100 card historic brawl on Arena the other day using Minsc and the 5 colour Sliver. It was fun, though in one game I drew 5 lands in 30 cards and most of them could only produce colourless mana except for casting Slivers. I lost that one. :D

I'd definitely be up for Commander in person sometime. Did you want me to come to Tsu, or shall I see if Koji can set something up in Nagoya?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:44 pm

Re commander - the more the merrier, so something up in Nagoya might be better (although if enough folks could be bothered to come down here it’s certainly easier for me 😆). Realistically, though, Nagoya seems the most sensible option.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:27 pm

Alchemy. Why? Was this something people were asking for? I was hoping for another remastered set, or at least another Historic Anthology. Instead we are getting remastered standard!?! :roll:

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:12 am

I know, right?

I don’t have a problem with new formats per se, but this feels a bit hamfisted. Like, I suspect somebody somewhere got wind that players are annoyed about the amount of bans in recent years, and rather than address that problem by, yknow, proper play testing, they chose to invent a new format where they could digitally errata to their hearts content.

As to what it means for historic, I worry that they decided historic drops werent driving enough sales, and that they can make more money by milking the wildcard system via Alchemy. That’s maybe where we’ll be getting new injections of cards-for-historic. That, and remastered sets.

On a side note, I’m disappointed in the new Gitrog. 1. Because it means we won’t get another one in paper, and 2. Because the art is not the Gitrog. The whole point of the Gitrog was that he’s just a giant frog! Not some tentacle monster :( Ishkanah is pretty cool, though.

I’ll wait and see what effect the new cards have on Historic, but I do so with a bit of trepidation.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:45 am

I'm always happy to get new cards dropped into Arena, and I am really not one of those players (and judging by the fires raging in the MTG part of the internet, I am in a small minority) who wants Arena to mirror Paper perfectly. However, this does all seem like a poor move on WotC's part. Nobody asked for this, as you say, they would be better served by having cards that weren't horrendously broken in the first place. One comment that I saw was that when asked about Pioneer, the developers said, "Even if we put the resources from Alchemy into Pioneer, it wouldn't be out next year or the year after." So because it's going to take a long time, they haven't bothered working on it yet? How does that help? #shakes fist at WotC#

All I can imagine is that this is going to cause a lot of frustration amongst the fan base. The reddit threads I saw had nothing positive to say about this development, and I don't think it'll get better anytime soon. Honestly, I'm not bothered about a reworking of standard because I never play it outside of draft and the occasional special event. Amending some of the cards for historic doesn't really upset me either, but it does depend how far back they go with the changes. Changing Omnath, sure, fine, whatever. But are they also going to nerf Muxus? Craterhoof? Because those cards provide a hell of a kick to the decks which use them.

So I'm not about to rage quit, but this does seem like a massively wasted opportunity.

As for the new Gitrog. Before it was The Gitrog Monster, as in the monster from Gitrog. Now he's called Gitrog, Horror of Zhava, which would make him The Zhava Monster surely? :x

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:38 pm

As for the new Gitrog. Before it was The Gitrog Monster, as in the monster from Gitrog. Now he's called Gitrog, Horror of Zhava, which would make him The Zhava Monster surely? :x
Exactly! This! :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o

Have they no sense of propriety? No honour? They’ve done my man Gitrogius dirty, oh yes indeed.

Another very pertinent point that I saw on Pleasant Kenobi’s YouTube channel is that now they can just errata stuff they’ll be less likely to ban cards. That means:

You spend WCs (the prime currency of Arena) on a playset of cards.

Said card gets banned: you get your WCs back.
Said card gets nerfed: you get shitty cards. Also your deck is screwed. So…go build a new deck? Needing more WCs?

It’s just a teeny massive huge bit predatory.

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”