NagoyaHammer Painting Contest.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

NagoyaHammer Painting Contest.

Post by Primarch » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:04 am

As mentioned in the main NagoyaHammer 2012 information thread, there will be a small painting contest on day 1 of the event.
Me_in_Japan has graciously agreed to be the judge for the event and will be setting the criteria for the contest as well.
Winners will receive a small trophy as well as a small prize.

As and when M_i_J is ready I am sure he will fill in the details, but one of the categories will be for best painted 40K army, so please view that as an extra incentive to get your army done for the event.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: NagoyaHammer Painting Contest.

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:47 pm

jeebus, warn me before you do that, will ya Prim :shock:

Nagoya Hammer Painting Contest 2012

general rules:

3 categories: single mini, monstrous mini/vehicle, squad.
One prize per category. You may only win in one category (i.e. if the same person is judged to have submitted both the best single mini and the best squad, he will receive a prize for one of these categories only, and the second-best painter in the other category gets the other prize.)
There will be small trophies.
Any manufacturer is ok (i.e. not only 40k stuff. Fantasy, steampunk, historical, whatever is all fine.)
Display bases are OK. Models do not have to be mounted on official gaming sized bases. The display base should be of an appropriate size for the mini or minis based on it.
If youre not sure about anything, PM MiJ and ask. I'll probably say yes, but I just want to be sure beforehand.

details

single mini : one 28~32mm scale model OR one smaller scale game vehicle of comparable size to a single 28mm mini (see examples below). Can be mounted on a horse, bike or similarly sized mode of transportation (cold one, jet bike etc) but may not be mounted on a monstrous creature or a larger vehicle (e.g. no dragons, no tanks or buggies.)

examples: Marneus Calgar, Prince Tyrion, Borka Kegslayer, Lady Justice, 1 shroud mage enigma class flagship

monstrous creature or vehicle : anything big and nasty (or big and nice :D). Fantasy monstrous creatures, 40k vehicles (even if theyre small, like a land speeder), any warjack, anything else which is dubious as a single model.

example: Land Speeder, dragon, Phantom Titan, ripjaw

unit : a squad of small or medium based models. For skirmish type games (40k, warmachine, malifaux, infinity etc.) or fantasy cavalry this can be a group of 3 to 10 models. For regiment type games (WHFantasy, black powder, etc.) this should be a unit of 10-20 for 28mm scale minis, or of equivalent footprint if in a different scale.

For a unit of monstrous(ish) creatures such as trolls, rat ogres, ogryns or similarly sized models, the unit size should be 3-5.

example: 3 dark reapers, 20 high elf spearmen, 6 trollkin scattergunners,one malifaux gang, 5 ogryns.

addenda
What follows is a list of answers to specific questions that folks have asked further down the thread.

1. What about vehicles that are part of the unit. Such as Nobz in trucks.

unless the painting compo rules say otherwise, in-game rules dont matter. A trukk is clearly a vehicle, a nob is clearly a single mini. A group of nobz is a unit. A trukk full of nobz is a basically a vehicle with decorations. Competition entries are basically categorised by size, rather than in-game function. This is because models from any game can be entered, and I have no desire to read every single rulebook for every single game to check what is and isnt ok in the rules.

NOTE: this means that if you want to model your minis with weapons/options not allowed according to the in-game rules that is fine. E.g. space marines with shuriken catapults, a unit of dark elves with warhammers, aspect warriors with no hats on. However, if you choose to do this, ask yourself: does this enhance the look of the mini, and does it make sense visually? This is what the judges will be asking on the day...

2. Can an entry be part of an other entry? e.g. Could a tactical marine Sargent be put in a unit and also be part of a his squad as well be a solo unit.

you cannot enter a given model twice. If the aforementioned sergeant is entered as a single mini you need to paint another sergeant as part of the unit, or, just enter a 4 man tac marine squad, as there's no need to follow codex rules for unit size. 3-10 models for a unit, as stated in the competition rules. No need for sergeants or banners or what have you.

3. In the single model category. Can one have things like grots ripers or servo skulls on separate bases but part of the same entry?

No. Single model means single model. One. Uno. Hitotsu.

What about heavy weapons teams for the guard. It is one kit and a two wound model in the game but what is it in terms of category?

What it is in the game is irrelevant, as the rules clearly state. It's a fair question regarding the compo, though. A heavy weapons team is a single miniature as long as both guardsmen and the gun are mounted on the same base.

Ps before anybody asks: the gun team count as a single mini because they are on a single base. guns don't levitate and need a couple of guardsmen to hold em and load em. Servo skulls, otoh, are independant wee doohickeys which are not integral to any other mini. They also, coincidentally, do levitate, unlike IG heavy weapons :)

the compo rules wrote:
Overall first impression: What your gut instinct tells you when you first look at a mini.
5 – Fantastic. The model is eye-catching and well detailed. If there are mistakes, you have to look very hard to see them.
4 – A good model, mostly above table top standard. One or more eye catching details that go above and beyond a standard neat-and-tidy table top job.
3 – Table top standard. Neat and tidy, no horrible eye-catching mistakes.
2 – Not bad for a hurried table top, but there are a few mistakes and overall it’s pretty meh.
1 – Many mistakes, sloppy painting. Perhaps ok for a first time painter, but no more.

Smoothness of painting – blends and gradiations (wet blending, layering, etc.)
5 – Smooth like a baby’s bum. Transitions between colours are barely visible, if at all.
4 – The blends have clearly had a lot of work, but there are some areas of ugly transition or chalkiness.
3 – The mini is generally highlighted and shaded correctly, but there is some evidence of drybrushing , ink washing or other techniques where speed takes precedence over smoothness.
2 – Lots of drybrushing, splodgy inks or very clear transitions between layers.
1 – No highlighting or shading. No colour transitions.

use of colour and mood: complementary colours, tone and feeling
5 – Complementary colours are used well, and the mini has a very nice overall mood and feeling. Glazes have been used to enhance otherwise monochrome areas like skin or armour.
4 – Overall the model has a distinct mood, but there are one or more areas that detract from it. May have one or more poor colour choices.
3 – A nice enough mini, but somewhat monochrome or otherwise dull. One or two point colours may be present, but not in a coordinated fashion.
2 – Some colours clash or look out of place. There is little or no mood to the piece.
1 – No mood to the piece. Colours that make your eyes water.

Preparation: removal of mould lines, flash, etc
5 – no visible mould lines or imperfections
4 – no visible mould lines. one or two minor issues like pitting in non-essential places. (crotch, under arms, etc.)
3 – one or two small mould lines visible. Pitting or flash may be visible in non-essential places.
2 – mould lines visible on arms or legs, but work has obviously been done to reduce them. significant pitting on major areas (cloaks, carapace, etc.)
1 – mould lines visible in key areas (face, etc). Little to no prep work done.

details, eye catchers: freehand, NMM, OSL, etc.
5 – extensive freehand, NMM, OSL or other display level technique is apparent.
4 – freehand, NMM, OSL or other display level technique is apparent, but there are one or two areas where it hasn’t quite worked.
3 – one or two areas where freehand, NMM, OSL or other display level technique is apparent, but they are done to a workmanlike level.
2 - one or two areas where freehand, NMM, OSL or other display level technique has been attempted, but unsuccessfully.
1 – no attempt made at freehand, NMM, OSL or other display level technique.

Basing
5 – highly detailed base which enhances the story being told by the mini. Meets the above criteria for the model itself and the base.
4 – as for a 5, but has one or more minor technical errors.
3 – a nice base with a little extra work above that of a table top model.
2 – tabletop basing. Some rocks, some sand, neat drybrushing. Highlighted and shaded appropriately.
1 – bare plastic.
NOTE: a model will not score extra points simply for being on a plinth or large display base. However such things have the potential to make a mini look more impressive if used appropriately.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:03 pm

I am working on my entries now.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:50 am

I may through something together like a single mini or something. Won't be an army though..

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:18 am

painting contest rules updated.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 am

*bump*

Painting contest rules updated.

Please read them thoroughly if you intend to enter this contest. If you want to enter something that doesnt neatly fit into one category, PM me and we can work it out. I really hope everybody pulls out their A-game for this event, so I dont want to say to anyone "no, you can't enter that". I just want to make sure the playing field is level for everyone, hence the categories.

Good luck everyone! :D

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Looking forward to this. :)

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:10 am

So I have a question. What about vehicles that are part of the unit. Such as Nobz in trucks.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:40 am

Very exciting! :D I hope I can get everything done in time. This is great motivation though! Go go gadget painting brush ;)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:09 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:So I have a question. What about vehicles that are part of the unit. Such as Nobz in trucks.
Basically, unless the painting compo rules say otherwise, in-game rules dont matter. A trukk is clearly a vehicle, a nob is clearly a single mini. A group of nobz is a unit. A trukk full of nobz is a basically a vehicle with decorations. Competition entries are basically categorised by size, rather than in-game function. This is because models from any game can be entered, and I have no desire to read every single rulebook for every single game to check what is and isnt ok in the rules.

NOTE: this means that if you want to model your minis with weapons/options not allowed according to the in-game rules that is fine. E.g. space marines with shuriken catapults, a unit of dark elves with warhammers, aspect warriors with no hats on. However, if you choose to do this, ask yourself: does this enhance the look of the mini, and does it make sense visually? This is what the judges will be asking on the day...

Return to “Past Events”