NH2013 - Decisions so far and a couple more thoughts

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: NH2013 - Decisions so far and a couple more thoughts

Post by Primarch » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:I like the original post.

I hope folks will let me play my junka as a junka what about scratch built or kit bashed IA stuff.
There's always one isn't there.
I would prefer to keep things clear cut between what is and isn't acceptable, but given the prices of some of the FW kits, I can see why allowing scratch built or converted stuff would be advantageous.
I am very happy allowing properly done conversions etc, but what I dont want to see is a standard model with one extra piece being stuck on top and passed off for the benefit of a couple of special rules.
E.g. Badrucks Junka model has had a lot of work done to it to make it look different from the standard trukk kit. Badrucks regular trukks and battlewagons, which he has been using as trukks and battlewagons for ages will not be acceptable for Junkas.
Simply put, if you have clearly put the effort in, it should be as acceptable as someone who just has deep pockets. If it looks like you are simply trying to pass off a half assed job to gain some rules advantage, you will be told to use it as the original model regardless of points etc. Luckily we have so far been blessed with a great crowd at every NH so far, so I will assume that this will continue in the future.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:10 am

Primarch wrote: I would prefer to keep things clear cut between what is and isn't acceptable, but given the prices of some of the FW kits, I can see why allowing scratch built or converted stuff would be advantageous.
I am very happy allowing properly done conversions etc, but what I dont want to see is a standard model with one extra piece being stuck on top and passed off for the benefit of a couple of special rules.
E.g. Badrucks Junka model has had a lot of work done to it to make it look different from the standard trukk kit. Badrucks regular trukks and battlewagons, which he has been using as trukks and battlewagons for ages will not be acceptable for Junkas.
Simply put, if you have clearly put the effort in, it should be as acceptable as someone who just has deep pockets. If it looks like you are simply trying to pass off a half assed job to gain some rules advantage, you will be told to use it as the original model regardless of points etc. Luckily we have so far been blessed with a great crowd at every NH so far, so I will assume that this will continue in the future.
Sounds like you are setting yourself up for a lot of stress and work if you are intending to check over every player's miniatures\lists in that sort of detail. Do you plan on reading every list before every game and look at every table before the dice start rolling? If allowing IA is that problematic, maybe it would be better to just say it's not allowed. Save the Caestus for day 2 free play?
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 am

Konrad wrote:
Primarch wrote: I would prefer to keep things clear cut between what is and isn't acceptable, but given the prices of some of the FW kits, I can see why allowing scratch built or converted stuff would be advantageous.
Sounds like you are setting yourself up for a lot of stress and work if you are intending to check over every player's miniatures\lists in that sort of detail. Do you plan on reading every list before every game and look at every table before the dice start rolling? If allowing IA is that problematic, maybe it would be better to just say it's not allowed. Save the Caestus for day 2 free play?
No, I am expecting that everyone who attends will be the same, decent, fun loving people we have had at NH for the past 3 years. Honestly, I don't think anyone who has attended so far would even consider trying to exploit this for the sake of possibly winning a game of toy soldiers.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:12 am

Looks good so far, Prim.

As the event gets closer, you`ll have to make some big decisions (on composition, allies, points, teams, etc.)...but I think this is a good start.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:22 am

@Ash - FW do a special dreadnought drop pod which has some very funky rules. Dreads can use a standard pod no problem. If you want the special one, you should use the special one.
Given the number of games and events between GWeek and now, I am not going to organise anything special for beginners as the chances are no one would come. Just play at MiJs place, Joshin, Ogaki, Fort Spevna, Centre Palace etc.
Fair comment. There is more than enough time and places to learn the rules before next May.
Prim, do what you feel is best. Simple works well and as Konrad says you don't want to be stressing with other peoples lists, that will be a hassle for everyone involved.
How about keeping the tournament as idiot proof as possible and then allow for mad builds in the free play.
Your event though dude, plan as you see fit.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:20 am

Sorry Prim, I know I sound like a broken record with this, but...

The Adepticon team tourney format might solve several problems with one sweep. It`s basically 4 players, 1000 points each. Each player works with this: 1HQ, 0-1 Elites, 2-3 Troops, 0-1 Fast, and 0-1 Heavy Supprt. Then, each player get one "swing" unit; i.e. one player gets an extra Heavy slot, another player gets an extra Fats slot, another an Elite slot, and the fourth player (don`t remember exactly) either a fourth Troops or second HQ. This keeps everyone honest. No one can spam much of anything. The most they can spam (non-troops) is two of a unit in one FOC slot. AND, there is some strategy between the four team members who gets the extra slot. Each round of the tourney, the four players have to make 2 two-person teams to match up against other teams. Each round, the player on each team have to "rotate" for three possible combinations.

With us, we could start recruiting for teams early (4 Imperial teams, 2 Chaos Teams, 1 "good" Xeno team, and 1 "evil" xeno team, for example). If one of the teams draws short - not enough members or whatever, maybe combine leftover teams or one guy can use two separate 1000 point lists from the same army...there are several ways around this problem.

Anyway, just an idea for making teams, reducing cheesy WAACness, and adding something fresh to our usual team tourney format.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:48 am

looks like my record is broken, too. However, unlike our records, there aint nothing broken about naghammer, so my tuppence worth would be "dont fix it". I appreciate the the Adepticon format probably works well for adepticon, but thats cos adepticon has to worry about power gaming asshats. Here in sunny nagoya (and environs) we have no such concern, and can thus kick back and enjoy our tourneys as GaWd intended - lighthearted events where everyone plays for fun and just uses the rules-as-intended.

I vote for no custom force limitations (other than as required for fun and fluffy scenarios), for the simple reason that not all codexes are created equal. The rules as suggested by Dan will defo favour some armies over others. Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, enforcing restrictions like this on players sends the message that its ok to power game as you like, as long as its within the rules, cos the rules will censor your asshattery for you. I really think it is better for everyone if we just trust that we all understand that this is a game for more than one player.

It's far better to have the opportunity to be bad and choose not to, than to have goodness enforced upon you, no?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:21 pm

I quite like the team up or not idea, is that what you intended it to be? While I liked the team format this year (even if MiJ's reserve failure cost us the title :D ) it might be a nice change to play solo.

If we do have 3-4 member teams, how about averaging the team's VP score to determine the winner(s)?

I say stick to the 2 day format. 3 days might be a bit hard to do motivation/time/partner approval-wise IMHO

Spevna MUST come to at least one day. I have come to the conclusion that he is the Naghammer equivalent of Mr. Snuffleupagus. :lol:

Speaking of the muscle bound one, I would like to run some of the 'fun' events we came up with for the Yokkaichi 'King of the Hill' event we were going to run a while back (King of the Hill, 'Ardest of the 'Ard, Demolition Derby etc) on the second day, if Prim approves of course. Would you mind if we nicked these ideas Spev?

Painting contest - back to a popular vote. I think MiJ would have liked to get his hands on one of those Siberian weasel hair brushes too. I think it might be nice to have 2nd and 3rd places too (with smaller prizes or a simple certificate as necessary).

Anyways, there's my 2 yen for now.
Morituri nolumus mori!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:44 pm

(even if MiJ's reserve failure cost us the title :D
humblest apologies :( The slaves have been thoroughly disciplined since then...
I think MiJ would have liked to get his hands on one of those Siberian weasel hair brushes too.
you forget - we have proppa golden demon winners on this forum now. None o this amateur crap like myself these days. We'sa dealing with pros, now. If I could just find 10 bloody minutes to paint something I might be able to at least enter, but win...? I hae ma doots these days...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Speaking of the muscle bound one, I would like to run some of the 'fun' events we came up with for the Yokkaichi 'King of the Hill' event we were going to run a while back (King of the Hill, 'Ardest of the 'Ard, Demolition Derby etc) on the second day, if Prim approves of course. Would you mind if we nicked these ideas Spev?
I would be honoured if you used them. I have but one condition. All of them must be named after me.

Spevna of the Hill
Spevolition Derby
Spardest of the Spard

On second thoughts, they just sound dumb :? . Go ahead and use them with my blessing my antipodean bearded chum :D .

Spevna MUST come to at least one day. I have come to the conclusion that he is the Naghammer equivalent of Mr. Snuffleupagus. :lol:
Pretty unlikely but you never know. Stranger things have happened...... ;)
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Return to “Past Events”