NH2013 - Decisions so far and a couple more thoughts

Danguinius
Veteran

Re: NH2013 - Decisions so far and a couple more thoughts

Post by Danguinius » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:56 pm

@MIJ: "All codices are created equal" :o ???? Okay, now I`m convinced you have partaken in some GW Kool Aid drinking!

The format I mentioned is not just to prevent ass-hattery, it also adds a tactical element to the teams/match ups. Who gets the second Fast Attack choice? Would the Blood Angels player or Ultramarines player benefit more from a second Elites choice? I think this shakes up the lists a bit and adds some thinking to the contest instead of, "Okay, I`m using IG, so how many tanks can I cram into my 1000 point list." And before you paint Nagoyahammer as a perfect utopia free from that kind of thing, I`ll remind you that Underdweller and I played against Ork + IG in the final (with Basilisk, Leman Russ Demolisher, Leman Russ + plus minimal HQ and Troops and no Fast or Elites AND Max Nob Bikers with a Gretchin squad and Deff Koptas. It`s hard top get more min-maxy, cookie-cutter, net-listy than that...in 5th edition any way).

And what`s wrong with shaking up the same old lists once in a while? And what`s wrong with encouraging people to use all of their FOC and not just spamming three heavies or three elites? Doesn`t tactical flexibility and being able to work with sub-optimal lists show a general`s worth as much, if not more, than just using the same old thing or net-list?

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:07 am

What MiJ actually wrote...
...for the simple reason that not all codexes are created equal...
Big American, him read not good! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morituri nolumus mori!

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:22 am

Whoops, that`s what I get for reading and replying on three hours of sleep :D :oops: MIJ, you are not a Kool Aid drinker (my apologies)...but perhaps a pod-person that GW as sent to replace the real MIJ. Still, that error does nothing to invailidate the points of my (above) post.

Danguinius

P.S. Recently, the allure of poker (Texas Holdem) has started putting a dent into my sleep time. Anyone else have the same problem?
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 am

My final thoughts on it would be, is it going up be a straight up 40k battle with no thrills and exceptions so I can relax and game? Or will it be another set of rules to learn as well as the new rules and FAQ?

Dan: Not poker but video games and Internet I have had addictions to. It's not easy giving up. Small steps, find a good book to read that goes on forever, Lotr, Churchill history of WW1.
Gaming, particularly video games is as a serious addiction as smoking or drinking. Try to limit yourself to an hour a day at first, then three times a week and so on. Replacing it with another interest might be best though. Painting, watching Mad Men or Sopranos, write a book, go running. Something you enjoy.
Good luck dude.
Last edited by ashmie on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:54 am

I don't think Prim was even asking about extra rules restricting army composition. However, I would rather be constrained by a challenging scenario than by arbitrary rules. I would also note that my small army made it difficult to work around the army list restrictions at NH2012, so I played every game a bit under the point limit.

BTW, Bell of Lost Souls just posted an article on their positive experience of allowing Forgeworld models at their own tournament.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 am

Right Ten, I've edited my post as noticed that wasn't what it was about.
I agree though challenging scenario is better than army building restrictions.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:41 am

@asch, Well, I have never played poker online, which I think could be a dangerous addiction (well, everyone knows gambling is). I prefer to be at a table with smokers and bad bluffers where you can actually try to read the players, the mood, the table, etc. And out in the semi-Styx where I I live, poker is only player three nights a week, so I`m limited by that at least. Actually, I`m only playing once a week...but it`s an addictive game (Texas Holdem).

As for video games, I was certainly addicted to them back in the day (when you could walk into an actual arcade in Ikebukuro, or Tenjin, or whatever town you happened to be in). I used to shovel 50 yen coins into the slots and try to prove myself the greatest at Street Fighter 2 (whatever variation just came out), Samurai Spirits, or any old Capcom fighting game. I never got into home versions (X-Box, and the like) and now there are no more arcades. So, I guess I`m safe there.

Wargaming addiction on the other hand...

Danguinius

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:25 am

Poker - fun but have never had the chance to play it much.
Video games - fun but I lose interest after a few weeks/months. I like to zip through a game, finish the story, and then never touch it again. Skyrim was a recent exception to this rule, inasmuch as it took a hella lot more than a few weeks. I have now finished it, tho, and won't go back to it.

Naghammer - while new scenarios are fun and all, Naghammer represents about 50-70% of my warhammer 40k games for the year. I don't fancy extra limitations when I'm still trying I get to grips with the basic rules. As for shaking up lists, do you actually use the same list all the time? I've always considered it important to change up lists anyway. Gets boring otherwise. Besides, I kinda want to actually use all my minis, you know? Still, I appreciate that I'm in the minority here.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:56 am

@MIJ, Minority or majority, who knows? I think the purpose of this post by Prim is just to update us on what he`s decided and to get some ideas from players (like us) on what might work well for next year`s Nagoyahammer. If we all completely agreed, it would just be eerie...so a little disagreement is probably normal, expected and necessary.

This year we made 750 point lists. So far, the talk next year is 1000 point lists. I`m pretty sure you won`t be using all of your models any way just due to small points of the lists. So, the "limitations" in the adepticon format are hardly limitations at all. They just prevent major spamming and create some tactical choices when teams start making their lists.

I have played 40K twice in 2012; the games at Nagoyahammer and the Apocalypse/Zone Mortalis games I played with Ryogo. So, the Nagoyahammer games mean a lot to me too (they make a up a big percentage of my games...currently half of the total number).

I make lists, just so I don`t have to waste time adding up points on those precious days when I can wargame. Some lists get used. Some get used more than once. Some lists get used, then tweaked a bit. Others never get used. It`s hard to answer whether I always use the same list or not since I don`t play much.

I can sympathize with the "beating a video game syndrome". They`re not cheap either! With wargames at least, you play again and again and never get bored. I still use minis I bought 20 years ago. But video games seem to become worthless after you beat them...then the game cousol gets old and replaced by a new version...etc.

Danguinius

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:08 am

Primarch wrote: Overall, I want to promote this event as a fun, relaxed chance to play games with friends old and new. As usual you will get more out of the event if you are there to play 'with' your opponents rather than 'against' them. I will be looking for volunteers to help out once the room is booked.
Agreed :)

I think keeping it two days is easier for the MRS to accommodate.

I agree that most of us prepare lists for the flavour not for the big win, so I am not worried about any limitations or allowances. I think the use of IA models is a nice idea, especially if people have paid those prices and painted beautiful minis.

I look forward to the scenerios and trying to achieve them with my partner rather than just trying to destroy the enemy - although that is fun too ;)

Count me in for answering the call to help with preparations. :D

Return to “Past Events”