Prim Ruins Christmas!

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Prim Ruins Christmas!

Post by job » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:07 am

I'm going to be lame and come in late. I have a bad cough from the cold I've been recovering from this week, so I'm going to rest some more and spend a bit of time with the family. I'll come in but I may not play games today.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:50 am

On my way! Sorry for the delay. Brought some minis with me just in case I can get a quick game of Dredd or HoR in before 5.
I slept in after watching the entire back to the future trilogy in one sitting last night.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks to everyone for coming down today. I had a great time gaming, chatting and catching up with everyone.
Infinity seemed like a good game, difficult though. I'm looking forward to playing that again at some point.
It was good to dust off my samurai and get a game of Ronin in.
HoR seemed to work ok with the new updates. I'm interested to hear what everyone thought, especially with a lot of people trying it for the first time.

I hope everyone had a good time.

Have a great new year!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Auxryn
Champion

Post by Auxryn » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:12 pm

Sorry I had to leave a little early. I started feeling ill and was sick on the way home. Seem better now though!

Anyway it was a great time! I played two new games that were both fun.

Hunters of Ruin went well for me after I adopted an 'undead horde' strategy originated by Underdweller. It seems like maxing out your Regulars is the way to go. I'm not certain if Leadership is ultimately worth the points but will keep experimenting. Next time I play I think I will try making a horde of goblins with bows.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:29 pm

It was good seeing you all for a final time in 2015. I am sorry I couldn't game with you all, but then again, I hadn't the time to read the rules on either game system and I barely had my voice this morning. Maybe some other time.

Underdweller, I look forward to 40k. I'll talk to my coworker, too. Maybe some others would like to join. Enjoy Koya-san, too.

And Ashmie and MiJ, thanks for company at the theater and the for the beer afterwards. It was good fun. And if you haven't seen the new Star Wars, it was good fun. I give it a thumbs up. But not a word more.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Had a great time and it was well worth getting out of bed and on the train for. Really liked Hunters of Ruin especially the dodge rule and the counter attack role. This makes getting walloped so much more interesting when you can fight back in the same turn. We also had fun with the climb, jump and fall rules as well as the flee and morale checks. I think it's a fun easy game to grasp. The one model at a time activation makes it very tactical along with the rolling for initiative each round so turn priority becomes randomized. Also charging only in a straight line becomes interesting because you can strategically protect your models from becoming charged if another model is standing in the way. Thanks to Eric for a great game and to Prim for writing the rules. You should patent the rules.

Star Wars The Force Awakens is just as amazing in 3D and is actually worth seeing in both because some shots work better depending on which format you view it in. It may well be my favourite movie to see at the theatre of all time. Definitely up there. I can't remember the last time I've been so moved by a movie. I'll say no more.
Last edited by ashmie on Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Thanks to all for a great day. To lovejoy and pikey - my apologies to the fine judges of east meg (and their chums). Going up against an experienced gang is never easy, especially when they're loaded for bear. It helped a lot that the dice were loving me for a change. Ah, the fickle winds o fate...

To Prim, kbear and auxryn, thanks for the infinity games. Like prim I enjoy the game and look forward to actually playing properly (ie not a demo game.) I promise to try to paint my minis. Also thanks for the intro to HoR. It's a nice intuitive system, and seems to be taking the good bits from other systems rather than the bad.

Finally, thanks to Ash and Job for accompanying me to see Star Wars, and for the nice beer afterwards. It was a film. I saw it. Say no more :)

Have a happy new year, y'all :)

*edit* buggerbuggerbugger: @lovejoy and pikey - I've been sorting out my gang's post-game sequence, and I've noticed that the damage listed for my various las-weapons on my army builder printout is NOT the same as that in teh rulebook. Rulebook is much kinder. So far as I can see its just the damage that is wrong, not ranges or AP or anything else. Apologies for this. I'll go through it with a fine toothed comb tomorrow and try to ascertain if anything significant was changed. *kowtows*
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:46 am

A great day of geekery. I had a couple of fun games of Dredd with my arch-nemesis Underdweller. My Judges were pinned down, but Judge (Two-Gun) Harker, lobbed a couple of Stumm rounds and knocked out the Heavy Spitgun totin' perp and his pal doing the pinning. Got to love the Lawgiver. Comes with a flavor of ammo for every situation. The next game saw me set up my Judges badly, and unable to stop the crooks from blowing up the objective. Judge Steele did get close enough to be thrown through the air in a most cinematic fashion when it went up though. Roll credits.
Prim's HORs game is great. Simple, but enough variety and chance to keep you on your toes and thinking.
I played the Skelly-Undead, and I found the Leader skill very handy. I had a model with Leader(2) a bow and a couple of bow-totin' henchmen flanking him. At first, I did it wrong and had the models doing different actions, but even so, once in position, I could lob a lot of arrows at one go.
And yeah, as Ash and I read it, charges have to be in a straight line, so I put a Skelly directly in front of my wounded, already activated uh, Vampire Troglodyte Frog? to intercept a Ash's great-sword, swingin' baddass. Whew....
I'm looking forward to getting in a few more games and maybe trying out the Campaign rules.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:58 am

Dredd was a lot of fun. I learned to fear the Lawgiver when it took out two guys with 2 wounds each standing out of sight from the Judge in one shot! Luckily my gang did better in the second game which involved a lot of skulking and a lot less direct confrontation.

It is quite a popular game around here, and I can see why: easy to play, great built in fluff, and customizable heroes using the skill trees. I found the rulebook is a little vague on some points, but for free I am not complaining!

I also had a good time playing Hunters of Ruin, even if my Crockin did get wiped out by a bunch of circus performers. I am glad to have the Lizardkin included in my list, long ranged shooting is a nice addition to my army! Also I think limiting the number of Zombies in the Flesh Borne is probably a good idea, especially as they can always make more.

Anyway, thanks for organizing everything, Prim!

And Job, it would be good if we can get 4 people together for a morning game of 40K, to start warming up for Nagoyahammer.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:48 am

@ Underdweller: yeah, absolutely. On that point maybe we can even do a couple of the missions. Maybe missions 1 and 3. They have an interesting way of working together. And the points values are low with low reasons to coordinate with 'Allies' that may win over yourself if you help them too much. So, it seems like the missions will move quickly.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Past Events”