The Runes of Fate: Prophecies for NH2017

Konrad
Wargod

Re: The Runes of Fate: Prophecies for NH2017

Post by Konrad » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:47 am

Just my 2円. If you build it, I will come. Like everyone else, never had anything less than a huge grim-dark fun day at Naghammer. Even that one where me and the Madmiral came in dead, dead, stomped-flat last place.
It does seem that the event is at a crossroads. I personally, am perfectly content to play in a smaller room, keeping it cozy and casual with my usual arch-nemeses.
I'm not for moving this forum to Facebook. Like 40K, it's bloated and clumsy and hard to page through. But putting up a "NAGOYAHAMMER Events" (sponsored by nagoyahammer.com) page, hey why not?
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:53 am

Maybe because I'm old, but mainly because my computer is old, I like this site better than Facebook. Facebook really slows my computer down and is a pain to look at. I have an account, but I use it a little as possible.

As far as advertising Nagoyahammer, I suppose people in Wargaming groups could post about it, and set up events invitations? (or a Nagoyahammer Events Page, as Konrad mentioned)

For me, I am much more likely to go to an event if I know some of the people there, so Facebook pages wouldn't help much. I have been to Dan's Warmachine event in Hiroshima twice, but I hardly glance at the events I am invited to at Zara military base or somewhere on the Wargaming Japan Facebook group. Again, that's just me, maybe other people would be more interested in traveling to meet new gamers.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:56 am

This site was set up because the Yahoo Groups JIGG system was pretty naff. I did it because nobody else was going to.
NagoyaHammer was set up because there wasn't a regular big gaming event. I did it because nobody else was going to.
I had hoped that this forum would be good for everyone and that we wouldn't need Facebook. I did not create a Facebook group and it seems like no-one else has either.

This gaming group that we have is not mine, it belongs to everyone. We have some great people and I am happy to have been able to bring people together to play at the events I organised. If people are waiting for me to create a Facebook group, I am sorry, but I won't be doing it. I invite any one of you to set up such a group if you think it will be beneficial to us. Don't worry about treading on my toes, I am fine with it.
Please post a link to the Facebook group once it is up and running. Don't expect any input from me on there though. It's someone else's responsibility. This forum won't be going away just yet, we'll be around for a bit longer.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:17 am

Well, I wasn't really thinking of FB as in any way a replacement for this either - it's a bit poo for threaded discussions like, oh, say, forums are good at.

I'll go ahead and make an Aichi / Mie / Gifu Gamers group, with a prominent arrow pointing to the discussions going on here, and we can see what (if anything) comes of it.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:25 am

big thumbs up from me on keeping this forum active. I agree very much with ToD regarding facebook being a good quick-and-dirty method of comms, but for proper discussions it can be lacking, which, of course, is where the Naghammer site comes in. As long as there's a page on FB which has very basic contact info and monthly-ish updates regarding gaming events, that's all that should be necessary. I know I suggested FB fairly strongly, but I in no way think it could replace this site. It's apples and oranges, so far as I'm concerned. I do like both apples and oranges very much, though.

I also think Prim is due a big Thank You for setting up and maintaining this site. I know we all thank him at Naghammer events and suchlike, but the fact is that without this site there would be no community (at least, the part of it outwith Nagoya). Cheers, Prim - your efforts do not go unappreciated.*bows deeply*
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

komura
Veteran

Post by komura » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:22 pm

I have been joined this event since 2013 BA day and give me oppotunity playing large game.
Also, this give me enlarge of my miniature collection. I appreciate it.
I suppose this event may continue as 40K plus BA due to both game is fairly common us.
My concern is other local gamer tend to hesitate joining this event.
Could I raise this question at my another SNS?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:01 pm

komura wrote:I have been joined this event since 2013 BA day and give me oppotunity playing large game.
Also, this give me enlarge of my miniature collection. I appreciate it.
I suppose this event may continue as 40K plus BA due to both game is fairly common us.
My concern is other local gamer tend to hesitate joining this event.
Could I raise this question at my another SNS?
Yes please. Maybe you could tell them about your experiences at NagoyaHammer?

Which SNS do you use?

Could you also pass along a message for me?
「NagoyaHammer the event and NagoyaHammer the website are for everyone, not just foreign players. We would love to get more Japanese people involved. We would like to hear everyone's opinions and make a gaming community that everyone can enjoy.
We usually use English on the NagoyaHammer website, but a lot of people can understand, read and write Japanese, so please feel free to introduce yourselves, show pictures of your models, ask questions, arrange games and join in with our community. We are very happy to meet new people.」
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:33 am

Just going to throw this out there, how would people feel about a tournament style event? Would you still want to attend?

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:56 am

Primarch wrote:Just going to throw this out there, how would people feel about a tournament style event? Would you still want to attend?
I'm a semi regular attendee at best so how I feel shouldn't carry too much weight, but a tournament doesn't appeal to me to be honest.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:31 am

Imho it's all about encouraging new players. Possibly younger players in their 20s or 30s who are new to Japan and not tied down with family responsibility. The reason for this being they have cash and time to build armies. You can make the group fresh and dynamic while keeping you guys as the old guard who run it. I would suggest a facebook group. I know you hate this Prim but it might be the only way to get new people, as less read forums these days. Something like this perhaps https://www.facebook.com/groups/1668152890087837/
The only problem with facebook is you do throw it open to the winds a bit and you can't vet new players perhaps as much as you'd like to. You may end up with more power gamers and less fluff players but I guess that's the chance. As long as you make it clear it's a play for fun group or fluff or whatever then it shouldn't be a problem. Either way promotion is essential at this stage so I suggest each of you take it on to really promote the club and the hobby in online circles.
How about inviting the groups from other parts of Japan or the Kansai and Kanto Jigg players. I think those big boardgame groups have wargamers who can't get games in. X Wing might be a brilliant gateway game to draw in new members as it combines the miniatures and boardgaming demographic. Very popular in Kyoto and Osaka right now.
I would also suggest a few introduction to the hobby days throughout the year. A day where people without an army can come in roll some dice and play a fantastic game of 40k or historical with all the bells and whistles. That's what got me back into the hobby in 2004, just going into a Games Workshop and navigating an orc chariot a few inches across a beautifully molded board towards a line of Empire Troops. Playable Dioramas! Have a painting table set up also for newbies to try their hand at that and make it really simple for them. Basically we have to do what GW used to do when they were more about the hobby promotion than product sales.

How about something like this

New to miniature tabletop gaming? Wanting to try it out for the day?
Why not join our open day on September 22nd at (place)
We have introduction games for beginners set up for Warhammer 40,000, Fantasy, Bolt Action, Malifaux and Judge Dredd miniatures game.
Play on a fully detailed table of terrain with an army of your choice. Don't worry about bringing your own miniatures as we have plenty. Also we have a painting table set up where we can advise you how to get started with miniatures. There's nothing like painting and building your own team or army of fantasy/sci-fi or historical miniatures.

Veterans of the hobby are also welcome, so bring your own armies for a game.
We are an established hobby group who have been gaming in Nagoya for the past 8 to 10 years and we are looking for new players and members to join our monthly games days. We are a friendly bunch of ex pats looking to hang out, share advice on the hobby and of course life in Japan. As well as the simple joy of sometimes winning a game our main focus is on an engaging game of model soldiers with an interesting back story that everyone can enjoy regardless of the outcome.
We hold annual events such as Nagoyahammer in May and various other themed days throughout the gaming calendar year. We look forward to seeing you and rolling some dice together. All welcome.

Entry: 500 yen for the day

The gaming group in Tsu is largely boardgamers now and Japanese pla model fans but we went with that because RPG wasn't popular. Satoru is doing really well with promoting this group so you can get some more players through him I think. There were a few pla model fans interested in 40k I noticed. They have a big event this month promoting the hobby also. I'm not sure of the date but there was going to be an introduction to miniature gaming set up alongside painting exhibits. MiJ are you running this?

Good luck guys. I'm sure it will be packed next year.
If you do put together a new website or facebook page please let me know and I will promote it on my page when you have events as I know a few gamers from Osaka and Kyoto way.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Past Events”