January 14th - The Forgotten Games

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: January 14th - The Forgotten Games

Post by Primarch » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am

Thanks to everyone who came along today. I got to try out 4 games for the first time and have fun chatting and admiring the figures.

I tried, in chronological order:

Shadespire - Aside from the followers of Khorne being unable to hit or take a hit, it seemed like an ok game. It was pretty easy, somewhat random and the minis look nice. As a gateway game I can see why it is popular.

Stooge's Gundam Game - A very simple ruleset worked out by Satoru-san. It took 5 minutes to explain and 10 minutes to play. I'd prefer a bit more complexity, especially since we only had 1 model a side, but it worked well as a basic framework.

Dragon Rampant - Cowardly beastmen, sharpshooting halflings and an angry angel made for an interesting lineup on the table. The game played fairly quickly despite being the first time Yellowstreak and I had played. I'm probably going to put together another small army at some stage from the remains of one of my WFB forces and some Reaper minis. As an Osprey game it's miniature range agnostic and encourages you to use "Counts As" and Proxy figures.

Poseidon's Warriors - Another Osprey ruleset, this time featuring ancient galleys ramming each other in an attempt to sink the opposing fleet. It's a game of chicken taken to the utmost limits as head-to-head collisions are usually fatal to both parties.

So, 4 games, 4 times the fun. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 am

Good day, thanks for organizing Prim!

Thanks Konrad for drawing your shootin' irons and joining me at Dead Man's Hand!

Thanks Prim for handily murdering all my Beastmen, who attempted the worst ambush ever...

And thanks Prim again for the nautical mayhem. Note to self, remember the scenario objectives next time...!
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:06 am

That was a most interesting day.

First thanks Prim for the guns. What a score. Just the bitz I needed! Again, you need anything kit bashed or painted give me a shout. I owe you.

@ Yella'streak- Call me a yella' belly drunk will ya...... I think "Dead Man's Hand" should be called "Last Man Standing". Great, great, great game. I am having such a hard time resisting. It plays really simple, but the drawing playing cards for initiative mechanic and special events really adds a lot of excitement and tactics and drama. I really dig the 3 stage narrative structure to the scenarios. We will have to remember the "Big Nerve Test" next time. Just might save a few men.

XI did not get a chance to play Satoru's "Gundam Bash". But he explained it and I think he may have just invented the perfect starter game. I was chatting with him and that is exactly the goal. He wants to make something kids can play with their moms while they are wandering through the pla-moderu tables at the Mie-mo meetings. Start trying to explain 40K or Frostgrave and they are lost after 15 seconds. There are different levels of complexity and the idea is to have a "Bash" game for any toys you have lying around. "Pokemon Bash", "One-Piece Bash" , etc. etc.

I saw spaceships too. How did that ramming action turn out job? :lol:

And me and job took the new, new Necromunda out on it's maiden voyage.....and sank it in the grim, dark, hellish depths of the Underhive. It was the first time, so it was more of a page by page sohowdyashootdoyoutakeacooltestnow??????? exploration than a game. Even so, I imagine job's CawdorCultists are feeling pretty righteous and mighty after trouncing my Squat-liaths. In hand to hand no less! The new game plays totally different than the old version. Alternating activation, new weapons and most of the old standards are quite a bit different, it's felt like playing Frostgrave after years and years of Mordheim. The old and new Necro are that different. Really looking forward to getting a handle on the rules and getting some more Underhive action in.
Last edited by Konrad on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

asch
Veteran

Post by asch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:55 pm

@Prim
Thank you for trying out Shadespire. Randomness is both the charm and the devil of the game.
Another point from Stooge was that it is more fun if you have your warband and know its mechanics, e.g. contents of the decks.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:48 am

A couple more pics from the event.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Past Events”