NagoyaHammer 2018 - 40K Army Building

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: NagoyaHammer 2018 - 40K Format - Input required!

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:54 am

me_in_japan wrote:Agree about LoW, but re. Named characters - don’t the Ynnari require one of the triumvirate to be present in order to count as Ynnari? I’m not 100% sure, as I think it’s in Chapter Approved, but it’s worth considering that general rulings like this can impact some factions more than others (ie no Marneus Calgar? Fine, I’ll take a chapter master instead. No Yvraine/Visarch/Yncarne? Darn it, can’t use my whole army.)

I’m gonna play Stinkies, so it doesn’t affect me one way or the other and I realise it’s an edge case. I’m just pointing it out.
I'm in this camp, yeah - also I kind of think that (with the possible exception of forge world, whose rules for 8th edition are generally pretty terrible) balance is "OK" enough that taking a named character isn't an instant win button - it's true that, say, Cawl or Guilliman are undercosted to the point that they're obvious includes for their respective armies, but a) they're still beatable, and b) units that are under- or over-costed to the point that they're obvious includes or obvious trap choices are, and have been for for-ever, part and parcel of any game that uses points values, and there's more than a few of them besides just named characters in 40K 8th edition. The main issues people seem to have with Guilliman et. al. is more that you see one on every table at big tournaments than that they're so overpoweringly good that you can't win against an army using them - and our group is small enough that "anybody besides jus brings a primarch" is vanishingly unlikely anyway, at least until MiJ finishes painting Mortarion in 2035. :D Heck, even LoW seem manageable, dumb stuff like 3-Shadowsword spam notwithstanding - lots of people seem to play, and still not do very well in tournaments, with knights, for example.

Which is a rambling way of saying that I think that if someone goes to the trouble of painting up a cool model, and is jazzed about using it at Nagoyahammer, we ought to let them, IMO.

(But, like MiJ, it's sort of a moot point for me, as no named characters exist for my army anyway. :lol:)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

jus

Post by jus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:03 am

You know, I'm on with no named characters. Level out the playing field a bit more. Guilliman, lord commander of the rerolls, is, from first hand experience, pretty gross to the point of being a bit unfair. I'd feel alot better if we just go with vanilla characters.

It would make a lot more sense from a narrative play stand point too. Your own original captain /farseer/chaos lord etc. Leading your forces this theater of war. There's a certain charm to it, don't you think?

Re: ynnari. I hate em. And their ploughing SPARKLE BURST. But do they really need a named character to sparkle burst.
Edit: ok they aren't that bad. But craft world and dark are cooler.

asrayel
Rookie

Post by asrayel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:31 pm

As an occasional Ynnari player, I'm cool either way. Ynnari is entertaining, but the character tax is pretty annoying. Not one of them even has a pistol! Come on, I want to shoot stuff.

That said, I do think there are some pretty great named characters in armies that really add some flavor to the army. I'm wondering if the issue here is actually just blanket "re-roll ALL (not just 1s) x" bubbles. Rowboat takes this to the extreme, but coming from an eldar perspective, I think that there were positive changes made to the psychic phase in 8th that prevent things like me from Guiding all of my forces and Dooming all of my opponents' because watching/doing non-stop re-rolling is boring. Then, unfortunately, the same mechanic gained new life with chapter masters and Cawl, but this time with no danger (Perils) or real limit (and entire army castled with RG in the middle).

If we did do all vanilla characters, maybe we could name them and do something cool after they survive each battle? Even if it's only narrative...

asrayel
Rookie

Post by asrayel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm

jus wrote:You know, I'm on with no named characters. Level out the playing field a bit more. Guilliman, lord commander of the rerolls, is, from first hand experience, pretty gross to the point of being a bit unfair. I'd feel alot better if we just go with vanilla characters.

It would make a lot more sense from a narrative play stand point too. Your own original captain /farseer/chaos lord etc. Leading your forces this theater of war. There's a certain charm to it, don't you think?

Re: ynnari. I hate em. And their ploughing SPARKLE BURST. But do they really need a named character to sparkle burst.
Edit: ok they aren't that bad. But craft world and dark are cooler.
*#%*#%*#%SPARKLE BURST*#%*#%*#%

Well, at least it got nerfed to 1/2 strength in the faq, right?

*#%*#%*#%MORE SPARKLE*#%*#%*#%

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: NagoyaHammer 2018 - 40K Army Building

Post by Primarch » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:14 pm

First post updated with event details.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 pm

Looks good! Although really making it 750 points / 1500 points would help ensure balance a bit.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 pm

The Other Dave wrote:Looks good! Although really making it 750 points / 1500 points would help ensure balance a bit.
What? :o I thought Power Points was what all the cool kids were doing these days? Y'know, because regular points were too difficult and unbalanced, or somesuch. :roll:
I'll edit the post again.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 pm

Primarch wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:Looks good! Although really making it 750 points / 1500 points would help ensure balance a bit.
What? :o I thought Power Points was what all the cool kids were doing these days? Y'know, because regular points were too difficult and unbalanced, or somesuch. :roll:
I'll edit the post again.
Well, I like 'em, but people do have a point that in a more-competitive environment they potentially leave more room for imbalance.
-----

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:24 am

Looks good!
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:48 am

Oh, also!

For "rolling for scenarios" for Matched Play, there's two sets: "Eternal War," which don't use the "Tactical Objective" sub-objectives, and "Crucible of War," which do. I don't have much preference either way: on the one hand, Crucible missions seem to be "what's done" for 40K tournaments these days generally, but on the other none of us are really used to either the full-on Matched Play scenarios or the Tactical Objectives, so adding too many moving parts may lead to confusion.

Actually, as I read it I think that makes a pretty strong argument for sticking to Eternal War scenarios, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.
-----

Return to “Past Events”