NagoyaHammer 2019 - Sounding Board

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

NagoyaHammer 2019 - Sounding Board

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Hi all,

NagoyaHammer's still 6 months out, but with the room reserved I'm all planning it in my head and such, so I thought I'd start a thread to keep you all appraised about what my (current, subject to change) thoughts on how to run it are. Feedback is welcome, but at this stage, this thread is mostly for transparency's sake.

Days: Friday, May 3 (Constitutional Memorial Day) and Saturday, May 4 (Green Day)
Fee: 3000 yen for one day, 5000 yen for both days, with a flat 500 yen discount if you can provide at least a table's worth of terrain (including mat) for the 40K day

Day 1: Even though it's a holiday, day 1 is still a Friday, so on the off chance that eikaiwa people have to work that day, I think that'll be the open play day. At this stage I'm planning to organize a Kill Team campaign / tournament (5 games, XP progression, winner is whoever ends up with the most Resources at the end of the day), and of course others are welcome and encouraged to organize similar one-day participation games, demos, or similar thingamajobbers.

Day 2: This will be the 40K tournament, and (based on this year's event) I'm thinking:

*3 games, 1000 points each, rule of 2 as per the FAQ - smallish games, yes, but as I've said I think that's the only feasible way to both have 3 games and have most people's games go more than 3 turns. So I'll say if you want to play a 1500 or 2000 point game, set something up for the free play day. "Winner," which to be sure will be worth little beyond bragging rights, will be decided by most wins -> most VP scored -> fewest VP scored against.
-Note: I've made my thoughts on list limitations known elsewhere, and I think the rule of 2 takes care of *most* of the actually abusive netlists (most notably guard + knights + blood angels and such), so I won't be putting any further limitations on what people might want to bring. That does mean you should at least consider what you will do if your opponent shows up with, say, a Crusader and a couple Helverins when building your list.

*Unless the spring FAQ shakes up the meta at least as much as this year's spring FAQ introducing the Battle Brothers rule did, expect to use all the rules from the latest FAQ and Chapter Approved.

*On the whole, it'll basically be RAW - as it's my first time doing something like this, I don't want to overextend myself with campaign rules and funky scenarios and what-not.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Konrad
Wargod

Re: NagoyaHammer 2019 - Sounding Board

Post by Konrad » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:21 am

The Other Dave wrote:Hi all,

That does mean you should at least consider what you will do if your opponent shows up with, say, a Crusader and a couple Helverins when building your list.

And that might be you, right? :D
I'll have to actually do a bit of homework and see what the rules are now!
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:18 am

Konrad wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:Hi all,

That does mean you should at least consider what you will do if your opponent shows up with, say, a Crusader and a couple Helverins when building your list.

And that might be you, right? :D
I'll have to actually do a bit of homework and see what the rules are now!
Haha nah, I'm pretty sassified with the armies I have - no big knights for me for the foreseeable future!
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:59 am

*eyeballs revenant on the painty desk, narrows eyes thoughtfully...*

Hmmmn, no construction limits, eh...

*notices 2000pt price tag*

:|
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am

Hey, look at it as an impetus to get a Wraithknight? :lol:
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:05 am

me_in_japan wrote:*eyeballs revenant on the painty desk, narrows eyes thoughtfully...*

Hmmmn, no construction limits, eh...

*notices 2000pt price tag*

:|
Just play 1/2 a game per round?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

jus

Post by jus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:10 am

One of the culprits for games going overtime I feel is the BUCKETS of dice that need to be counted then rolled then counted and rerolled. Then there's the abilities (commands e.t.c) that multiply the number of dice that need to be (counted and then) rolled (then often times rerolled). Must say, it's gotten just a bit tedious where the vast majority of the time is spent on the chore of counting out dice.

My suggestion would be to forego the buckets and use a dice rolling app. That would speed things up considerably.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:14 pm

IME dice-rolling apps are actually slower, as you need to un-sleep the device and such every time you want to roll. Plus, frankly, it's easier to not share your results with your opponent.

Huge numbers of dice have always been part of the game (I remember back in 3rd or 4th rolling like 120 dice for a big unit of termagants). Loads of dice does multiply handling time, and if you need to think a little bit about every step (how many dice does this ability add, and when? how does this ability effect my target number, and when? wait, I got that wrong, just a sec...) it does add up. But really I think rules familiarity is the core slower-downer-thing.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:46 pm

May I suggest the following solutions:
-More games of 40K leading up to the event.
-Players create 'Cheat Sheets' to remind themselves what their special rules do.
-Choose armies that don't roll buckets of dice.
-Use movement trays for large units.
-Read the rulebook thoroughly a couple of times.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Primarch wrote:May I suggest the following solutions:
-More games of 40K leading up to the event.
-Players create 'Cheat Sheets' to remind themselves what their special rules do.
-Choose armies that don't roll buckets of dice.
-Use movement trays for large units.
-Read the rulebook thoroughly a couple of times.
I mean, yeah, all of that would be optimal (well, aside from the "choose armies that..." point) and I'd certainly like to suggest it. :D I'd also add:

-Read all the current FAQs carefully front to back before making your cheat sheet and before picking your army.

Actually, yeah, I think I'm going to require everyone to bring a hard-copy army list with all stats and special rules printed on it - BattleScribe does this automatically, even, and it's free.
-----

Return to “Past Events”