NagoyaHammer 2019: 40K Day, Saturday May 4

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

NagoyaHammer 2019: 40K Day, Saturday May 4

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:13 am

Hey all,
Well, it’s fast approaching! NagoyaHammer this year (run, for some reason, by me) will be on the 3rd and 4th of May, Friday and Saturday. The traditional 40K tournament (although we’re so casual I hesitate to call it that) will be on the second day, Saturday the 4th. Here is the preliminary rules and expectations doc I’ve worked up - comments are welcome!

Three 1000-point games, two hours each.
1. Rule of Two as per Big FAQ 1, and Matched Play Mission Rules as per CA2018.
* Note that an Auxiliary Support Detachment or Fortification Network IS a Detachment for Rule of Two purposes!
* Editorial comment: There are no other army selection rules, but please do consider time constraints and whether you, your playstyle, and your comfort with the rules can handle, say, moving and rolling dice for 80 cultists or termagants or boyz or whatever without bogging the game down. Note rules for deciding winners and losers in slow games below.
* Editorial comment, corollary: This also means that you should be ready to face whatever a 1000-point 40K force can throw at you. If you bring nothing that can punch through armor and get roflstomped by a knight, I don’t want to hear about it.

2. Winner decided by best W/L record -> most VP scored -> fewest VP given up.
* Games that do not finish according to the scenario rules for battle length, but finish 5 complete battle rounds, will determine victor according to the scenario rules.
* Games that do not finish 5 complete rounds, but do finish at least 3 complete rounds, will count as ties for W/L record, but VP will be recorded.
* Games that fail to complete three full rounds (unlikely, with 1000 point games and two-and-a-half-hour time limits) will count as ties with 0 VP scored.

3. All games each round will use the same scenario, chosen by myself and announced on the day (nothing fancy, just Eternal War scenarios from the rulebook / chapter approved, but expect a bias towards objective-focused scenarios and plan accordingly).

Please prepare:
* At least three objective markers.
* A hard-copy printout of the Rules Primer.
* A hard-copy printout of your army list, with unit stats and relevant special rules. BattleScribe, for example, will do this for you, and it’s free.
* A hard-copy printout of the latest FAQ, with any rules or clarifications relevant to your army highlighted.
* Some sort of hard copy of any Stratagems relevant to your army – either a document, or a copy of the relevant rulebook pages, or the cards GW makes, or what have you.
* Editorial comment: In all of this, my first overarching goal is to not have people rely on the full rulebook and codex and all the page-flipping that requires, and the other is to try and ensure that everybody has familiarized themselves with the rules for the army they bring that day. You should have just the rules you need for your army, in a single easy-to-access hardcopy document. Ideally you should know your army and its rules well enough that need to reference will be minimal.

Links!
Big FAQ 1: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-c ... 018_en.pdf
Big FAQ 2: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-c ... 2_en-2.pdf
All the codex and rulebook FAQs (find the one for your codex): https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/
Rules Primer: https://www.games-workshop.com/resource ... 000_en.pdf
Battlescribe: https://battlescribe.net/?tab=news

Note that there is a third big FAQ due out during April - expect that, unless there are major shakeups, we'll be using it, but I'll take a look when it drops and make an official decision as soon as I can.
Last edited by The Other Dave on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: NagoyaHammer 2019: 40K Day, Saturday May 4

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:12 pm

Roger that! I make no promises as to my attendance, as per usual, but again, as per usual, I will do my best to be there. Many thanks for organising this!
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:33 am

Just a bump - it's nearly March, so maybe time to start thinking about scheduling and planning if you're hoping to come!
-----

Auxryn
Champion

Post by Auxryn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:21 am

I will be attending.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:56 pm

I’m planning to be there.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:18 pm

I plan on being there, although I have no idea

a) what list I'll play
b) What army I'll bring
c) How to play 40k anymore

but I shall ganbaru!
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

komura
Veteran

Post by komura » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:41 pm

I’d like to join this event.

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:21 pm

I will come at least one day, probably both.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:16 am

Hi all,

Just a reminder to check the OP of this thread if you're going to take part in the 40K day at NagoyaHammer this year!

As for the schedule:

Doors open at 9:00

10:00-12:30: Game 1

1:30-4:00: Game 2

4:30-7:30: Game 3 (A bit longer as the scenario will be slightly more complex than the previous two)

We will start each round on time - especially round 1 as I don't think I have anything like an accurate head count for the event so far. :D Please aim to be at the venue by 9:30 at the ab-so-lute latest. Two and a half / three hours *should* be plenty of time and to spare for a 1000-point game, but again, please do think about your playstyle and rules comfort when you choose your army.

Hopefully the FAQ will drop shortly, and I'll update the rules thread when it does.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:41 am

A quick update - Prim has generously offered some terrain to help out, so the couple of people I talked to (Underdweller and job in particular) who maybe didn't have a full table's worth, or were worried about transport, you might not need to worry if it would be a pain. Terrain help will still be appreciated, of course, but there's just less pressure, so people who were on the fence can stay on the "don't worry about terrain" side of it. :D
-----

Return to “Past Events”