An interesting article on the nature of gaming and gamers

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

An interesting article on the nature of gaming and gamers

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:13 am

This is actually, properly a good article. On Bols. No, seriously - it's totally worth reading. No major revelations, mind, but well put and entertaining.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/04/ ... tyles.html
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

kojibear
Legend

Re: An interesting article on the nature of gaming and gamer

Post by kojibear » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:51 pm

It was worth the time to read. Thanks for the link MiJ. :)

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Long, but good.

I've felt for quite a long time that the way we talk about the hobby - like, even just using the words "the hobby" - is almost guaranteed to lead to the kinds of troubles the article talks about. That definite article is a powerful thing! In actuality, there isn't one "the" hobby, by any stretch of the imagination, but the way we talk about it makes it easy to think there's just one "right" way to do it - and thanks to the huge umbrella that "the hobby" covers, that includes playstyles, approaches to painting, everything. And that definite article means it's pretty easy to think that the way you "do the hobby," since you're having fun doing it, is "the" way. Then you get into fights on internet message boards about how other people are "doing it wrong." :lol:

It's a very silly, and very powerful, definite article.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri May 15, 2015 6:19 am

Thanks! Good read that. Different strokes for different folks. My hankie reads "Creative/Narrative" by the way.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat May 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Very good article. I can definitely relate with Arya and am certain games have caused me panic in the past. Not these days of course but way back when. The biggest trouble I always had was being accused of being too feminine in my gameplay and not manly enough. Is femininity such a taboo? I guess it's a hobby which is largely boys and their toys, but in my mind the last thing I should be worried about when playing with plastic soldiers is appearing 'girly'. I have given big events a miss in the past though as I've felt them to be intimidating. Especially if you're a noob. Entering a room full of unfamilar gamers is bloody intimidating let's be honest.
Lots to think about. The roleplay community always have social contracts for what sort of rpg it should be. Hack n slash, strategy with minis on a map or theatre of the mind.
On the topic of subculture and sex seeing as this article mixes this with gaming? The SM world also relies on social contracts before play just so that no one gets abused or violated.
Board games are genuinely unpopular with non competitive people. In my view, painting and collecting the army is the jelly. Getting the army on the table is just the iceing on the cake. Anything that happens beyond that is at the will of the dice gods and depends on play style.

My handkerchief reads Bi, competitive and social, top as well as bottom, likes manners dislikes abusive remarks or comments. Lol!
Funny.
:)
Yep social contracts, verbally agreed before the game are a great improvement to what kind of day you will have. Good one.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”