The Movie Thread

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:01 pm

Another "movies (and also TV) I've watched recently" post from me...

Geostorm:
A resounding "meh" on this one. Which is a shame, as I generally quite like Gerard Butler, but the reasonably interesting premise of the film (post-global-warming society pools its resources and builds a big ol' weather control satelite system) is badly let down by some stoopid hollywood couldn't-possibly-work nonsense masquerading as sci fi. eg lightning strikes do not cause concrete roads to explode in giant fireballs. They just dont. Likewise, (and this is one of my pet peeves. it riles the shit out of me every time I see it, which is lamentably frequently) big complicated computer systems do NOT have helpful loading bars/robo-voices/beepy noises to indicate that the whole system is nearing shutdown/has been helpfully reset/whatever. Shit like that just happens quietly and non-cinematically. Srsly, hollywood, learn to raise the tension some other way, ffs :roll:
Anyway, tolerable hokum for a saturday evening in front of the telly, but not much else.

Hardcore Henry:
um. Definitely not "meh". Not sure what a one-word descriptor might be, but it's probably the opposite of "meh". Overall, I actually enjoyed the movie, but watching it in a dark room on an ipad about 2ft from my eyes, sound being applied to my ears via in-ear headphones, was akin to being thrown around by a large bear whilst having Children of Bodom blared at me at high volume. Disorienting isn't the half of it. A basic plot summary would be: man wakes up from coma-or-something, gets attacked by bad men, sets out to rescue wife, fights people. Actually that's not even a summary. That's the whole plot right there. What rescues the movie from being another-fighty-movie is that it's entirely, start to finish, filmed in the first person, presumably on a go-pro or similar.) So, when Henry rides a motorbike at high speed, leaps off it, engages in some (very!) gory fisticuffs on top of a van, leaps off and lands on another bike, then fires a bazooka at another van, the whole thing is one big eyeball wrenching punchy-explode-a-fest. But in a good way. It's also, btw, astoundingly violent, to the point of comedy. Props go to the stunt guys, particularly Henry (who you never actually see), as you get a very clear view of the risks they're taking. The rest of the cast was pretty good, too. Anway, it's well worth a watch, if only to say you've seen it. You'll defintely have an opinion on it, I can tell ya that for sure.

Venom:
I'd love to have an opinion on Venom, but I don't, because my youngest got too scared about half an hour into the movie and we had to leave. First time that's ever happened actually. Bit disappointed, tbh, as what I saw of it was pretty good.

Black Lightning (TV, netflix):
I'm on Season 2 ep 3 at the mo, and quite enjoying it. It's pretty similar to netflix's Marvel TV stuff (although, clearly, it's unrelated, being a DC property and all), but overall it's a strong cast (props to the actors playing the hero and villain, particularly.) A nice deviance from the standard superhero stuff is that the main character is a bit older and has a wife and 2 nearly grown kids, and the show spends a lot of time on his family life as well as his superhero stuff. There are a few things early on where I was a bit "hang on - where did he get all that funky stuff from, exactly?" but it gets cleared up in later episodes. It suffers a little from the writers staying a bit too close to the comic-book stories, I think, as some stuff is just a bit too convenient for a TV show (bit more explanations for events/motivations for characters would be nice) but generally it holds up well. Worth a watch, I'd say.

Anybody else seen owt worth recommending to folks, recently?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Movie-wise, I've seen ziltch lately. I have been watching my way through the latest round of Netflix/Marvel titles. Luke Cage season 2, Iron Fist season 2 and now Daredevil season 3. LC was just as good as the first season. Some top notch work on the acting, the script and the music. IF improved a lot since season 1. I guess the lead actor has been taking martial arts AND acting training. He only grimaced his way through a couple of scenes. Both LC and IF seemed to be setting things up for their respective season 3's, shame they have both just been cancelled.
Marvel is launching their own streaming service next year (with a Tom Hiddleston fronted Loki mini-series, YAY!) and it looks like they are winding up all of their Netflix partnerships. JJ season 3 and Punisher season 2 will probably be the end of those shows too. Marvel is obviously not going to compete with Netflix if they let them use one of their biggest franchises. I have no ideas of the legal ins and outs, but I am keeping my fingers crossed to near breaking point that Marvel (who are listed as the producers of the various Defenders shows) will simply port them across to their new channel and we can see what the writers had lined up. It seems a shame to cut so many good shows.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:36 pm

I watched the new Tomb Raider film today while I was taking down the christmas tree (yes, I know, arse in gear and all that).

Basically, meh. Alicia Vikander is good in it, and the character of Lara is generally much better done than in previous ones, but script-wise its a big pile of bleh. The story, fwiw, is pretty much the story of the Tomb Raider reboot game (the one Rhianna Pratchett wrote), with a bit of search-for-dad in it (which I believe is the plot of the second of the rebooted line of TR games). The script, however, is frankly not as good as the games (which is a shame, as the game's script is actually pretty good.) On the plus side, it has Nick Frost and Hannah John-Kamen in it, both of whom I rather like.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:07 am

I went to see Aquaman the other night. It's not bad. Certainly not on a par with the best of the Marvel films, but definitely watchable. The story is pretty simple, with lots of opportunities for the hero to beat up bad guys and deliver one-liners. The acting is ok, the special effects look reasonable and overall, it's a fun movie if you don't think about it too deeply.

Slight spoilers ahead.
Where I think the story is let down is the underlying message of the film and the bad guy's seemingly irregular motivation.

Comparing Thor 3 with Aquaman, the message of the films differ a lot.
Thor 3 - "You don't need your hammer, the magic was inside you all along."
Aquaman -"You aren't sh*t without your magic stick."

The bad guy seemed to vary between wanting to stop humans polluting the oceans and taking over the entire ocean for himself by annihilating the forces he said he needed for his alliance. He could have been a deep, conflicted character, pushed into a decision by outside forces, but the writers seemed to go for 'he's being evil for the sake of being evil'. cop-out. What is even worse is that he is shown to have the power to prevent surface dwellers polluting the ocean whenever he wants to, so the whole thing becomes a bit pointless beyond giving him a reason to fight Aquaman.

Assuming that DC/WB can build on what they have done here, they may finally be able to make a go of the DCU as a decent movie series. Aquaman is worth a watch, but don't expect too much.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:07 pm

I've kind of given up on the DC universe at this point. The only redeeming factor is Wonder Woman, which, while not a spectacularly great film in its own right (it's merely pretty good) stands as a beacon of awesome compared to the turd that is Batman vs Superman. Actually, the first Superman movie (with Russel Crowe as Sups' dad, and General Zod and all that) was pretty good, too, now I think on it. I haven't actually made it through Justice League yet. Kids keep getting bored and turning it off. Which is in no way a good sign. But, I am a sucker for a superhero movie, so will likely see Aquaman at some point, probly when it's on Netflix.

On a side note, I am super hyped to see Into the Spiderverse. Question is: will it be showing anywhere in English...

On another, even more sidey note, I watched 28 Weeks Later the other day. It's pretty good, and a decent follow up to 28 days, but (again, damn my analytical brain) a few things just stick out as being "huh? What? How would that even? Naaaah" moments. I'd point them out here, but they're a bit spoilery, so I shall abstain for now. But anyway, overall the movie works pretty well, and the cast is good. Worth a watch, but pretty gory, tense, and generally not very cheerful. As you might expect from a movie about a zombie apocalypse.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:56 pm

Aquaman is a step in the right direction for DC I think. If they can follow up on it is another matter. Spiderverse looks ok, but as you say it's likely to be dubbed rather than subbed.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:21 am

I'll be really sad if there's no subbed Spiderverse, but my hopes, they are not up.

I went and saw Alita yesterday - nerds of a certain age will probably remember the 90's anime and the manga it's based off of, and is in fact extremely faithful to. It was a lot of fun! Extremely yet sincerely goofy (in a way that's true to the similarly extremely-yet-sincerely-goofy source material), very pretty, awesome fight scenes. I saw it in IMAX, and while the sound was nice the 3D neither added nor subtracted from the experience, so you may want to save the 1000 yen and see it 2D-ish-ly.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:07 am

Thanks for the reviews guys.

I actually got the chance to see Into the Spiderverse' in New Zealand. Being quite a Spider Man fan, I was actively looking for reasons to enjoy it, so my opinion comes with a good deal of bias. Nevertheless, I thought it was really well done and enjoyed it more than any of the other recent Spider Man films. It seemed like it was made by fans of Spider Man, or at least that is how I felt after watching it. While there was an attempt to satisfy the needs of younger viewers, I did not feel that it was a 'kids' animation movie. It was more a case of "We can do so much more with this movie if we are not limited by real time constraints." The story was simple and the character arcs predictable, but it that is fine because the film is just trying to entertain you and make you feel like you are inside a comic book, and the movie did that really well I thought. It was fun and I was smiling when it finished and thinking as I am wont to do that it would be super cool to be bitten by a radioactive, genetically modified super spider! Incidentally, Nicolas Cage as the voice of Spider Man Noir was cool, as I know what a big comic fan he is.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:26 am

Sounds good.

The other night I watched The Legend of Tarzan on TV, which stars Alexander Skarsgard as the hero, Christoph Waltz as the villain, Margot Robbie as the love interest and Samuel L Jackson as the sidekick. It's billed as a Drama/Romance according to Google, but it's pretty much a Fantasy/Super Hero kind of story. That said, it is set in real history, the Belgian takeover of the Congo in fact. Jackson and Waltz are both playing real historical people and are reasonably true to their actual roles in the events that form the backdrop to the film. Not bad if there is nothing else to watch.

Speaking of things to watch, I highly recommend people check out the trailers for the latest Hellboy movie, it looks awesome. Sadly Ron Perlman isn't in it, but at 68 years old, that may be for the best.
I also caught the trailer for the Detective Pikachu movie. It looks pretty good actually. Ryan Reynolds is doing the voice, so I'd expect a few Pokemon jokes if a Deadpool 3 is ever made.

Between those, the upcoming MCU movies, Spiderverse and X-men: Dark Phoenix, I think I'll be going to the cinema a lot this year.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:03 am

Been watching quite a few flicks these days. (Been doing jack-all painting, guess that's where the time goes).

"Diabolique" 1955 French murder/suspense. Imagine Alfred Hitchcock pronounced "Alphonse Le'Coq" and you have it. Wife plots her husband's murder, with his mistress.....only in France. Thought once you meet the guy, you can't help but think, "Yeah, I can see it." Great characters and if the French was a clever and witty as as the subtitles, great dialogue.

"Ridicule" More clever Frenchies. In pre-Revolution France, a poor nobleman heads off to court to petition the King for money to build a drainage system for his disease infested swampland of a province. At Court, he finds the coin of the realm to be not ideas, but wit. It's a world of one-liners, bon mots, and death by dinner party repartee. You can't say it's a comedy, as "wit" is something different than "humor", as is explained in one of the best scenes. "Ridicule" is about an honest man trying to survive in a ridiculous world of powdered wigs, random duels, vengeful women and pre-germ theory medicine. And you will take the image of Judith Godreche in that yellow dress to your grave.

"Scaramouche"- Oh man. More clever Frenchies, but this time ala Hollywood at it's most swashbuckled. Don't let the sissy-sounding title throw you off. Stewart Granger has more swash than Errol Flynn. And Janet Leigh (she did more than die in a shower) is radiant. I kid you not. I can not begin to describe how much fun this film is. I think I enjoyed it as much as the original Pirates of the Carribean. It's old-school Hollywood, of course, so don't expect modern stunts, but do expect some swinging on theater rigging and great, great lines.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”