The Movie Thread

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:54 am

Y’know, I did read “androids”, a long while ago. +1 for The Man in the High Castle - not having read the book, there are some good twists in there, and the overall writing and acting is excellent.

In other news, I’ve just been informed that my local cinema is only showing Thor 2 in the dubbed version. What with that and them not showing Blade Runner at all, methinks they shall not be seeing any of my custom for some time. I mean, why? Surely Thor 2 is a major blockbuster, and while blade runner is a bit more niche, it’s hardly an indie movie. What gives, Aeon?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:00 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Y’know, I did read “androids”, a long while ago. +1 for The Man in the High Castle - not having read the book, there are some good twists in there, and the overall writing and acting is excellent.

In other news, I’ve just been informed that my local cinema is only showing Thor 2 in the dubbed version. What with that and them not showing Blade Runner at all, methinks they shall not be seeing any of my custom for some time. I mean, why? Surely Thor 2 is a major blockbuster, and while blade runner is a bit more niche, it’s hardly an indie movie. What gives, Aeon?
Thor 3 deshou? Unless your local cinema really is that bad. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Sorry, yes. Thor 3. The ragnarok one.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:58 am

@YStreak- Oh yeah! Like you said, "Man in the High Castle" was not the book, but a great take on it. A world so horribly effed up that not shooting Hitler is the right thing to do.
@MIJ- Come on. The dubbed version probably is not that bad. I mean, so the Hulk will end up sounding like a character from "One Piece" and Thor like one of the Arashi guys. It just deepens the experience culturally, right? :mrgreen:
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:38 am

I watched Suicide Squad last night.
:shock:

The DVD cost 80 yen to rent from Geo and I think I need to ask for my money back.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Not sure if it'll make it to you lot, but The Death of Stalin is excellent. Written and directed (?) by Armando Iannucci (The Thick of It) and starring Steve Buscemi, Michael Palin, Jason Isaacs (hello) and Olga Kurylenko, it's a very dark comedy, that becomes rather terrifying at times as we see the Central Committee jockey for power (and to avoid a firing squad).

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:08 am

AndrewGPaul wrote:Not sure if it'll make it to you lot, but The Death of Stalin is excellent. Written and directed (?) by Armando Iannucci (The Thick of It) and starring Steve Buscemi, Michael Palin, Jason Isaacs (hello) and Olga Kurylenko, it's a very dark comedy, that becomes rather terrifying at times as we see the Central Committee jockey for power (and to avoid a firing squad).
Steve Buscemi andMichael Palin? I'm sold comrade!
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Saw bladerunner 2049 tonight, and I have to say I rather enjoyed it. Clever without being annoying about it, and well worth your time, I’d say.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:35 pm

I watched Thor: Ragnarok this evening. It was Epic! Probably in contention for my favourite Marvel movie so far. The comedy elements of the movie worked well within it, certainly they seemed less out of place than some parts of Guardians 2. The fight scenes were spectacular, giving the feeling of truly mighty beings beating the snot out of each other. The gratuitous cameos were fun as well. My one criticism was that Tom Hiddleston didn't totally steal every scene he was in, unlike in previous movies. If you'll forgive the awful pun, he played it a bit more low-key this time around... Sorry. :lol:

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:02 am

Primarch wrote:I watched Thor: Ragnarok this evening. It was Epic! Probably in contention for my favourite Marvel movie so far. The comedy elements of the movie worked well within it, certainly they seemed less out of place than some parts of Guardians 2. The fight scenes were spectacular, giving the feeling of truly mighty beings beating the snot out of each other. The gratuitous cameos were fun as well. My one criticism was that Tom Hiddleston didn't totally steal every scene he was in, unlike in previous movies. If you'll forgive the awful pun, he played it a bit more low-key this time around... Sorry. :lol:
*groan* and good to hear. Off to see it with my missus tonight.
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”