The Movie Thread

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:28 pm

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is the best western move of all time. check it out....
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:22 am

Admiral-Badruck wrote:The Good the Bad and the Ugly is the best western move of all time. check it out....
One of my favorite movies of all time. Tuco forever! "A Fistful of Dollars" is a classic too. I have not seen a Western in ages. I'd want to watch the original "True Grit" again before checking out the new version.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:35 am

Konrad wrote:
Admiral-Badruck wrote:The Good the Bad and the Ugly is the best western move of all time. check it out....
One of my favorite movies of all time. Tuco forever! "A Fistful of Dollars" is a classic too. I have not seen a Western in ages. I'd want to watch the original "True Grit" again before checking out the new version.
The two "True Grit" movies are actually remarkably similar, plot and dialogue wise (since they are both based on the same book)-the atmosphere is much darker in the newer one though, not surprisingly.

A lot of people say John Wayne's acting was wooden in the first movie, but for me that was balanced out by the fact that I couldn't understand what Jeff Bridges was saying most of the time. Anyways, I enjoyed both of them!

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:28 am

Just watched

A movie based on the book by an author who got tired of her environment in Denmark, married a bankrupt Swedish Baron for the title and established a coffee farm in Kenya in the early 1900s.
I got interested in this movie because I wanted to do some research about one of my Strange Aeons characters, who I am thinking of making an ex African big game hunter turned agent.
Anyway it was a good movie.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:42 pm

I've never seen Out of Africa, although I've heard good things about it (and the book.)

Right now, I'm at the very end of my summer holiday.

So at the end of my holiday, I have been doing 2 things with my precious time.

1) Watching Torchwood. Lots of Torchwood. Dunno why - I just got the urge a coupla days ago and now I'm on season 2 ep 3. My eyes are feeling a bit melty...

2) Compounding the melty eye problem is my other activity: Playing DeadSpace 2 online. It's initiallly a nice wee online jaunt from a game with an ace single player campaign. It's all team based, and it randomly works out your teams. You just pick "start game" from the menu and off you go. There are 4 human mariney types wiv gunz, and 4 Necromorph (pretty much like they sound. Gribbly alien zombie types). The humans have to do a series of objectives (e.g. pick up item A get it back to console B, open door C, blow up objective D) and the necros have to stop em (and eat their brains, probly).

good points: the necros can execute humans in a loverly gribbly fasion.
They can also climb in and out of ventilation ducts in the walls.
You also HAVE to play as human AND necro before you score any points. i.e. the two teams swap positions at the end of a round. No playing favourites.
Its all very team based. You really cant just go off on your own. If you do, youre dead, even if youre an experienced player.

bad points: There's only one, but it's HUGE. The game's levelling system. As you play online, you get points. These points level you up from 1 to 60. As you pass certain levels you get tougher, get better guns, etc. These characteristics are persistant. I am currently level 10, so I have unlocked 1 new gun. Other players are level 60. They have many guns, and are much harder to kill.

Unfortunately this creates a huge problem: the game matching system blows donkey testicles. Seriously. You have zero control over who you play with or against. If the system matched teams fairly this wouldnt be a problem. But it doesnt. Last time I played it was me and 3 level 1 guys against a team of 4 level 60s. At the end of a round they each had about 40 kills each. Our entire team had 1. If it only happened occasionally itd be fine, but its almost every single time you try to play. Talk about an exercise in frustration.

Overall I'd say if you have a PS3, get DeadSpace 2 - its an ace single player game, but dont bother playing online. Its blinking annoying, all the more so because if it werent for this ridiculous problem itd be an ace, different-from-the-usual online experience.

Ho hum, gomen - didnt intend to derail this thread from movies to video games. At least its still vaguely on the topic of "TV related entertainments" ? kinda? :?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:35 am

hmm, Torchwood? Gotta check that out.

Yeah, no problem. :D
I don't have the specs in my laptop to play games anymore, only retro ones. Actually haven't heard of Dead Space 2, I am not just that updated anymore.
Last edited by Seb on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:46 am

Okay on the first page I said something about we are not making any good movies in Sweden.
I was wrong.. This is an exception.
I just watched

This movie was made in 2007, and I have no idea why I waited until now to watch it.
With a budget of 210,000,000 Swedish Crowns (ca. US$30,000,000) this is the most expensive movie made so far in Sweden. The movie is based on the books by the Swedish Author Jan Guillou.

The plot takes place in 12th century, mainly in Sweden and the Holy Land and is a historical drama about a man called Arn Magnusson (Arn de Gothia as Knight Templar), born into the powerful Folkung Dynasty. The movie is mainly spoken in Swedish but contains also Arabic, English, Latin and French to get a more realistic feel to it. (Should not be watched dubbed, actually no movies should be watched dubbed ever. )
The movie is more of a drama than a war movie but it contains a good balance of action anyway.

If you have never watched Swedish movies before please give this one a chance because most other movies I have seen aren't worth it.
There is also a second movie, which I am going to watch soon.

*Edit - Trivia
Just found a miniature of Arn by Tales of War:
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.p ... 32_103_000

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:23 am

Re: Arn the Knight Templar - looks interesting. I'll check it out next chance i get.

Re: Torchwood - if you plan on watching it, you should watch Doctor Who* first. Torchwood is a DW spinoff series, and makes a lot more sense if you watch DW first. There's minimal story/reference crossover though, because DW is aimed at a family audience, whereas Torchwood has sex and swearywords and whatnot. Also, DW is just generally a better show, in my opinion. That said, a good Torchwood episode stands up pretty well against a good DW episode.

*when i say "Doctor Who" I mean the newer ones, not all the humungous back catalogue of old ones. Basically if you search for "Doctor Who Series 1" on torrent sites, you'll get the right ones.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Just watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Excellent.
Really,really well done.

Am now watching Hanna.

Excellent also.
About a dad (former spy/agent) who is on the run for the government and his young daughter. He trains his daughter to kill the people that gunned down her mum.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:36 am

Listening to the "Blues Bros" soundtrack at the last bash at Fort Mus, made me drag out my old video. Watched it with the kids. (Yeah!) Forgot about all the bad words. (Oops!) They love the car chases.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”