The Movie Thread

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Seb
Champion

The Movie Thread

Post by Seb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:33 am

Howdy

I just watched Stake Land the other night.

One of those movies when you don't know what to get, you watch it and it was good.
The portraying of Vampires is classically American, with lots of gore and blood, not very much like the sophisticated European ones with thick Romanian accents that I prefer but the movie was good nevertheless.
Someone wrote that the movie is like a blend of the Road and 28 days later, I agree.

I recommend it folks.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:07 am

hmmn. I have the time at the moment, so I think I'll check that out :)

Last movie I watched was Sucker Punch.

For those who havent seen it, this is a movie composed of Pure Awesome. That doesnt necessarily make it a good movie, you should know. However, it very much comes across that the writer sat down with his mates and asked them "What Pure Awesome stuff can we shoehorn into our movie?"

The answers came back, "cute girls in short skirts and big samurai robots!" said one. "give em gatling guns!" said another. "zombie German soldiers and 1st world war fighter planes!" "more big robots!" "dragons, ooh, put a dragon in it!" chips in another. So, the writer duly wrote down all the ideas and diligently put them all in his movie.

Oh yes - there's a bit at the end and the start about some girl being sent to an insane asylum, but all of that is just wafer thin plot reason to have a movie with the aforementioned Pure Awesome in it.

I do kinda recommend it, but defintely leave your brain in a box by the door for this one.

I also watched Transformers 3. Not half as bad as Transformers 2, btw. I was pleasantly surprised, although to be fair I was expecting it to be unmitigated shite, so it wouldnt have been hard to pleasantly surprise me.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:14 am

@MiJ
I watched Sucker Punch too, it was indeed very different. All of the things in it are awesome but.. Maybe for me it was a little bit too much of the good stuff.

frans
Warrior

Post by frans » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:00 am

I watched Sucker Punch on the plan and all movies that I watch on a plan I tend to think is a bad movie.

I am still saving The Kings Speech for som special moment.

frans
Warrior

Post by frans » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:08 am

Just forgot I watched "let the right one in" sv "Låt den rätte komma in". We are not spoiled with good movies in Sweden, not a single good movie has been made in the last 10 years with this except.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:45 am

The Kings Speech is ace. I watched it on a plane, too, oddly enough. Actually another good movie I saw on the plane was True Grit (the new one with Jeff Bridges). I'd totally recommend that one. Top quality western action.

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 am

Agree with Frans,
Swedish movies usually suck, because they are almost always crime thrillers.
And generally there are not any recent movies that I feel like "I wanna watch!!"
But I like it when I watch a movie like Stake Land with no expectations and it ends with me thinking that was a good one.

A movie coming up that I will probably watch and probably be dissappointed about is the remake of Conan.

*Edit
oooh I wanna wath true grit too, havent seen a good western in a looong time.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Seb on Stake Land wrote:I recommend it folks.
I concur. Just watched it tonight. Really pretty good. I also agree with Seb's opinion of the vampires. The vamp purist in me thinks theyre not really vampires so much as generic-bestial-monstery-things (in terms of their role in the movie, anyway) but still, a good movie. Grim, at times (in fact, mostly), but then in a post-apocalytpic wasteland populated by vampires, life aint exactly goiung to be peaches and cream, is it?

definitely worth watching.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:49 pm

I just watched HP 7. I will recommend it to this group on one aspect alone: there are <b>giants</b> doing battle with stone warriors and mages. :D It was a sudden WHFB moment.

Otherwise, as for the story, I will say I thought it lost all the whimsy and fun of the former movies and tends to incline itself for the "epic". I'm a little tired of such movies, but the treatment wasn't bad and I think it is always hard to create a good final movie to a very profitable series. John William's and co. do a lot to keep the movie from faltering and a lot of things were done, right, just not fantastically.

@Frans: King's Speech was great. Definitely a very well done film with superb acting.

@MiJ: And I totally want to see True Grit!
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Just watched True Grit.
Outstanding movie!!Even though it is a movie, I was impressed by the determination of the young girl working hard towards her goal. The times are also fascinating, too bad you don't get to see many western movies these days.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”