The Book Thread

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Konrad
Wargod

The Book Thread

Post by Konrad » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 am

Can't remember if there is already a "What's everyone reading?" thread going.
I just finished "Wicked" by Gregory McGuire. It is, in addition to being a clever, brutal twist on the Oz story, a beautiful tragedy. I don't think I'm spoiling the ending by saying that. I recommend watching "The Wizard of Oz", see how messed up that story is, "Oh no Dorothy. Only wicked witches are ugly...." and then give it a read.
Hey, on the off chance there is anyone old fashioned and still reads books as in their original paper form, we ought to have a summer book swap. Bring a pile of paperbacks to the next game day and lend, lease, borrow away.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Underdweller
Legend

Re: The Book Thread

Post by The Underdweller » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:39 am

I haven't read many paper books recently, except for about 45 minutes on the train every week. I just started listening to Jules Verne's "From the Earth to the Moon" on recommendation from a guy at work. And just finished listening to "A Thousand Sons" which was good if a bit overly descriptive for my tastes.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:52 am

I started reading The Purging of Kadillus recently from the Black Library. However, I kind of gave up on it as it suffered from "All but one of the main characters is retarded as a way of moving the plot forward" syndrome.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:20 am

Konrad wrote:Can't remember if there is already a "What's everyone reading?" thread going.
I just finished "Wicked" by Gregory McGuire. It is, in addition to being a clever, brutal twist on the Oz story, a beautiful tragedy. I don't think I'm spoiling the ending by saying that. I recommend watching "The Wizard of Oz", see how messed up that story is, "Oh no Dorothy. Only wicked witches are ugly...." and then give it a read.
Hey, on the off chance there is anyone old fashioned and still reads books as in their original paper form, we ought to have a summer book swap. Bring a pile of paperbacks to the next game day and lend, lease, borrow away.
I most recently finished "The Heretics of Dune", the fifth book in the Dune series by Brian Herbert. I recommend the first three, but afterwards you are reading to mostly just re-immerse yourself in this sci-fi universe. If you haven't read "Dune" I recommend it. If you haven't read "The Heretics of Dune", well, I think you'll enjoy some of the vistas on the way to this book. That and the character Miles Teg is fun to read about.

Otherwise, a book swap would be pretty cool. Should we post books that we are looking for? Or books we can offer? I'm looking for the 3rd installment of the Stieg Larrson series, "The Girl who kicked the Hornet's Nest".
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:56 am

I recently read "Blindsight" by Peter Watts (you can pick it up for free here).

Very hard SF, very dark, very dense. Good stuff if you're into that kind of thing.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 am

Finished the last Game of Thrones book last month , just finished listening to Know no fear last week. I'm now rereading Enter the Kettlbell by Pavel Tsatsouline.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:44 am

@Spev, Prim, Lovejoy How was Game of Thrones?

I've finished a really heavy going book on the plantations in Jamaica and Barbados. 'The Sugar Barons' Slow reading indeed. Now I'm enjoying Stephen Kings Novel 11/22/63. It's a back to the future style romp through the Kennedy assassination and a what if it was stopped. Sounds naff but he has got better, he does a really good period piece of the '50's in Maine America. He also revisits the dirty town of Derry from 'IT'. Yes there are links to that novel and references given. It's the same town and something is inherently wrong about Derry once again. It's satisfying for fans to have that background info ahead of the protagonist in the narrative.
Great stuff, recommended and easy to read. Timetravel fans will love it. It has quite a few Phillip K Dick moments and best bits of Stephen King. He knows what's good in his writing.

@ job Well done for getting as far as Heretics of Dune. I really enjoyed the first 2 books but got a bit lost on the third one. Maybe I got as far as the 4th but I don't remember.

@ TOD, sounds good, I'll pick up a copy. Thanks. :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:54 am

I just finished The High Crusade by Poul Anderson, a light-hearted sci-fi tale about medieval knights who manage to commandeer an alien starship.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:17 am

@ job Well done for getting as far as Heretics of Dune. I really enjoyed the first 2 books but got a bit lost on the third one. Maybe I got as far as the 4th but I don't remember.
Hehe :D The part I didn't mention was that I've been reading the series periodically for the past 13 years. But each time it really fires up the imagination.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:18 am

Thanks Ten, just ordered a copy of that High Crusade as well as TOD's Blindsight recommendation. Liking the sci-fi lately. Better cancel that flight and get some reading done.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”