Maelstrom Games Dead and Gone

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Maelstrom Games Dead and Gone

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Well folks, it looks like Maelstrom has gone belly up.

Their site has been down for a while now and some of their suppliers are reporting that they have closed their doors. If anyone had any outstanding orders with them (Like say for example, me), then you've probably lost your money.

Kinda sad right? A lot of us used Maelstrom a fair bit. :cry:

Well, as it turns out Maelstrom split their bricks and mortar store Eye of the Storm off from their main business a short time ago and recently passed on their BaneLegions range to a company called Mierce Minis. At the same time as Maelstrom went bankrupt (According to whats on the web anyway), a new company called Mansfield Games was registered in the same location. What's really funny is that Eye of the Storm, Mierce Minis and Mansfield Games all have the same director. The same director in fact as Maelstrom Games.

So basically, if Maelstrom had your money, you have near zero chance of getting it back. However, the same guy is willing to take your money again and maybe this time he may send you something.

Anybody still feeling kinda sad? :x :x :x
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Re: Maelstrom Games Dead and Gone

Post by kojibear » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Wow! Very sad news for the customers with outstanding orders. You can always try to get the money back via paypal or credit card transaction refund. I think for paypal you have to lodge the complaint within 60days of making the order. Credit Card I am not sure. :cry: :cry:

I hope Wayland is doing alright.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:50 pm

kojibear wrote:Wow! Very sad news for the customers with outstanding orders. You can always try to get the money back via paypal or credit card transaction refund. I think for paypal you have to lodge the complaint within 60days of making the order. Credit Card I am not sure. :cry: :cry:

I hope Wayland is doing alright.
Maelstrom has apparantly stopped dealing with Paypal....

I'm not sure about the time limits on the distance selling laws in the UK.

#edit# Another 'source' on the web says that they haven't gone into receivership (what usually happens when you declare bankruptcy), but have simply stopped trading.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:57 pm

I don't suppose you know any ruffians who can pay the man a little visit? :evil: What a bugger of a situation :cry:

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:26 pm

I'm owed 2 Mierce minis brutes from them. Wonder if there's any chance of ever getting em...

Unlikely, I know. What's a bigger pita is that we now have limited options for getting stuff shipped to us for free at overseas prices. Dang and blast :(

Ps @prim - how much did they stiff you for? I'm out about 15quid, so I appreciate it could be worse.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:44 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Ps @prim - how much did they stiff you for? I'm out about 15quid, so I appreciate it could be worse.
About 35 GBP give or take. One of my "Not a Primarch" collection. Now I'd better ask my mum to get it as a christmas pressie. :(

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:33 pm

I (tremendously optimistically) contacted them on their eye of the storm website contact page (google it. Look familiar at all?)

They've got 2 days to respond or I just call my CC company. They get the 2 days cos I'd rather have the minis than the money, and the order was placed a good deal less than a month ago, so I'm still ok for refund time limits. Still - somewhat peeved. I hates getting ripped off, yes I does, precious :evil:

Ps https://www.duedil.com/company/04724863 ... es-limited

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:02 am

Good god! On the one hand, this is business bastardry of the highest level, but on the other hand, I'm kind of in awe of wayland's cutthroat attitude. Not that I approve of it, mind, but still, from a business perspective they clearly saw an opportunity and went for it. What was it that Tywin said? "A Lannister always pays his debts"? :shock:

https://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/

On the plus side, the two minis I'm owed are, actually, Mierce minis. Hmmm. What to do, what to do...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:28 am

So basically Wayland saw an opportunity to knock out one of their competitors and went for it. From a business point of view I can kind of understand it, but as Maelstrom offered free shipping everytime rather than just during special offers, I can see it having a big impact on people's spending habits. Wayland have a message one their own site (sorry, on my phone at the moment and it's a pain to post links), saying that they did it to protect their suppliers who were feeling the pinch from Maelstrom owing them thousands of pounds. Everything so far indicates that Maelstrom was teetering on the edge anyway, Wayland just gave them a sharp nudge. Either way, Maelstrom was going to close it's doors in the near future anyway.

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:58 am

Wow. Wayland don't piss about, do they? Straight in with the killing blow.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”