Metal Heads

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
jehan-reznor
Champion

Metal Heads

Post by jehan-reznor » Wed May 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Had a short conversation with Dan at NagoyaHammer 2013 about metal and rock music (Also with Sato-san)
Ok here are some of the bands i like;

Metal western
Godflesh, Pitchshifter, Bile, God, Scorn, Nine Inch Nails, Terrorizer, deftones, Metallica, Prong, Fear Factory, jesu etcetera

Japanese;
Cocobat, Melt-banana, Dir and Grey, The Gazette, Mad Capsule Markets, Maximum the hormone, D.M.C

Rock western:
Deadsy, Queens of the stone age, a Perfect circle, How to destroy Angels, Rammstein

Japanese;
Beat Crusaders, Tokyo jiken

Let's talk rock and metal!

Tenorikuma
Champion

Re: Metal Heads

Post by Tenorikuma » Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm

I like exactly one metal band:

Nightwish

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 pm

When I was growing up in the 80s, Bon Jovi was pretty popular, as was Guns n Roses, Van Halen and U2. Plus all those movies featuring rock tracks made a big impression on a kid. In the 90s I supposed Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins - I remember liking the song Today, Sound Garden, Chili Peppers were big. Though I was still an 80s rock kid at heart and I still try and sing a Bon Jovi song in Karaoke even though my voice has been destroyed after years of presenting and then teaching :P

Currently, I've been listening to a metal/rock band 'Within Temptation'.

As for Japanese rock, I like B'z. I don't really know much else.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 pm

I know nuffink about j-metal, but I'll have a look on YouTube for the ones you mentioned. As for western bands, when I was a kid I listened to a LOT of Metallica. Most of my early Eldar were painted to the sounds of the black album and kill em all. Being a moody teenager, i also listened to a lot of Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails. I also went to a lot of gigs. Stuff I listen to now includes: Iron Maiden, Pantera, Children of Bodom, AC/DC, Clutch and DragonForce. Muse and MCR also occasionally get my attention.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

jehan-reznor
Champion

Post by jehan-reznor » Thu May 09, 2013 1:52 am

@Tenorikuma
that's to bad lot of good melodic metal bands out there, it is not my cup of tea, maybe you should try the one Kojibear mentioned "Within Temptation" i would suggest A perfect circle

@Kojibear
You like hairbands? You should listen to Steel Panther (their funny)
Within Temptation? The're Dutch! ;)

@me_in_japan
Lots of my stuff got painted while listening to Godflesh and Bolthrower! I stopped listening to Mettalica after "justice for all" and only bought St. Anger album because it has the same (s)energy as the ol stuff
Pantera, Iron Maiden great stuff, i saw a lot metal bands befor they became famous , Biohazard, mucky pup, sepultura!

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Sat May 18, 2013 2:50 am

Indeed, Steel Panther rules. There funny as hell live. I saw them at Loud Park 3-4 years ago. Both of their albums are quite good.

I gave up on pop and started down my metal path when I was just 11 years old. I got a Sony Walkman for Xmas and my dad forgot to include any cassettes with it. So, I went to the store with my brother with permission to buy a single cassette. I remember picking up Judas Priest`s "Screaming for Vengeance! and thinking this looks bad ass. I never heard any of their songs...but my friend`s brother said they were cool, so I bought it. The first 20 seconds or so ("Electric Eye") pretty much melted my brain - I could never have imagined that music could be so cool. That was 30 years ago (this December). From there it went something like: Dio...Dokken...Iron Maiden....Yngwie Malmsteen...Queensryche...Helloween...King Diamond
...Metallica....Megadeth...Anthrax....Testament...Overkill...Pantera...Alice In Chains...Type O Negative...
Tool...Dream Theater...Shadow Gallery...etc. etc. etc.

I remember my father telling me when I was like 16, "You like this shit now, but you`ll outgrow it. You won`t be able to listen to it when you`re older". He was wrong. I still buy and listen to primarily metal. I try to catch a show or two every year. Old Metal Heads never die, I guess.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat May 18, 2013 3:53 am

I think it's true that metal tends to last a lifetime. Im fortunate in that my folks have always been very supportive of my listening habits. My first ever album was Number of The Beast by Iron maiden. We were on holiday up in the north of Scotland and my dad was going to drive into town to pick up some touches of civilisation. He asked if I wanted anything, and I said I wanted that album. I then asked if that was ok. His answer was "son, I'd be a lot more concerned if you'd asked for some of that modern pop nonsense like kylie minogue. Albums with the devil on the front aren't an issue."

More recently, I got my mum Back in Black and Stiff Upper Lip by AC/DC for her...59th? 60th birthday? Anyway, she said she was very happy with them and often listened to them in the car on the way to work. Yay for my mum :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”