Medieval Re-enactment and combat

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Primarch_Vanguard
Veteran

Medieval Re-enactment and combat

Post by Primarch_Vanguard » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:06 am

I just thought I'd put this out here in case anyone is interested in doing this type of thing. I do realize it is not for the timid thus I gather there wont be many banging down the door. There is a group called the SCA or society for creative anachronism. I was a part of the group for over 8 years. The group consists of re-enacting medieval society from anywhere in the world and all the aspects of said era (you can check out the SCA.org). You may choose which parts you wish to take part of and the main one is the combat. Dressing up in armor and meeting a foe or horde on the field of battle. There is a group in Okinawa but thats a long way to go (might as well fly back to Canada and fight amoung 200+ rather than the 10 down there). I used to make the armor and was part of a viking group from the Northern reaches of Antir. Other than a few parts of armor, the rest can be built relatively cheaply other than your own labor. and even the steel parts that need to be bought can be had for a reasonable price online.
Anyway, I'm thinking of getting back into it and its much more fun if you have someone to spar with and go to wars overseas (some have over 40000 combatants plus archers and artillery etc). It really is something to be part of if you are into table top gaming. And a great way to get in shape as well or just stay back and use a 12 foot poleaxe and such.
My friend just recently posted a video online that i didnt know existed. its called Lost vikings sca gryphon war on youtube. I'm the guy in black elf like armor with a giant red scutum with wings on it roaming the field in parts of the vid. It made me think about the time I came out of a forests edge after slaughtering a whole band of archers single handedly and then I stood transfixed with the scene that was before me. A single beam of sunlight struck the field among darkness and the war. To this day I cannot forget it and many more.
If you'd like to know more, feel free to contact me.
The one, the only.

Putting foot to butt all over the universe.

ashmie
Wargod

Re: Medieval Re-enactment and combat

Post by ashmie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:19 am

Sounds absoloutely amazing. I'd love to but knowing me I'd get too into it and get horribly injured in a frenzied charge. I've always fancied a Napoleonic gun club though. Simple marksmanship practice. This can be fun also and you have the option to dress up and reinact camp trail life. Not sure if Japan has this niche but it would be interesting. Perhaps something for retirement lads?
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:16 am

ashmie wrote:Sounds absoloutely amazing. I'd love to but knowing me I'd get too into it and get horribly injured in a frenzied charge. I've always fancied a Napoleonic gun club though. Simple marksmanship practice. This can be fun also and you have the option to dress up and reinact camp trail life. Not sure if Japan has this niche but it would be interesting. Perhaps something for retirement lads?
Accuracy? :lol:

You mean: Fire three aimed shots a minute! As good ole Sgt. Patrick knows. :D

Yes, I've seen this online and I think in Eastern Europe it gets pretty intense, but like Ash, I'm a bit more interested in Napoleonic and American Civil War reenactment. Cool still.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch_Vanguard
Veteran

Post by Primarch_Vanguard » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:51 pm

Actually, there are archers and such if shooting is more your thing. And honestly, I saw very few injuries in my 8 years. I had a large cut on my collar bone and a friend of mine got his hand stepped on which resulted in. Few broken fingers. In all the wars and fights I went to, that was it. And for what we do, it's pretty good. It is actually in the same insurance bracket as golf if you can believe it. Because of the strict rules for what must be armored in 16 gauge steel, only accidents actually cause injuries. And going beseerk is a great way to work out some stress. I never saw any verbal fights or what not at events either. People are pretty calm after 8 hours of combat. Really doesn't compare to anything else including jet skiing or paintball, both of which I competed in at very high levels of competition.
The one, the only.

Putting foot to butt all over the universe.

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”