Death of Nerd Culture

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
kojibear
Legend

Re: Death of Nerd Culture

Post by kojibear » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Konrad wrote: it was just that "The Quickening" feeling you get in the presence of fellow game geeks. It was fun.
Indeed, Highlander, indeed! ;)

ashmie
Wargod

Re: Death of Nerd Culture

Post by ashmie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:53 pm

I remember when this was all farmland as far as the eye could see. Old man Peabody had this great idea about growing Pine trees!

Which film?
-Edit-
OK I agree, that couple enjoying a glass of wine and beer on the homepage look way to normal to be geeks. Hah :lol:
The girl looks totally non gamer and the guy looks like this is the first girl he's ever had a drink with. LOL Awesome!
I love the red room. I would live in there, with my polyhedral dice and Cthulhu campaigns, festering happily away. I do feel like certain parts of the clubs decor look a bit like a swingers joint or a GoT S and M parlour. I'm not sure if that was what they were going for. Anyway it's a move forward from Warhammer World.
Thanks for sharing Konrad, looks amazing. Japan is yet to mainstream geek culture I reckon. Many players are still branded as Otaku which is regrettable.

Not sure how I feel about it. As long as people are kind and easy to get along with I don't care what subculture they are from. Non geeks are easier to spot now if anything. Grognards are fine also. I do agree about setting the video recorder on timer to tape something that might never be on again, that was half the fun.
What summed it up for me was a good 5 years ago we were in karaoke and I complimented this new JET teacher on his Ramones t shirt. To which he sheepishly said he'd never listened to them, ever. I remember being a bit baffled :) They were a fashion item for a while those t shirts.
You chaps would love this podcast, Jim Moon and the library of wonder http://www.hypnogoria.com/html/podcast.html Jim is clearly mad and his monotonous tone does go on a bit but he knows his 'geek' stuff and gives a good run down.
Personally I've just bought a load of Sons of Anarchy merch successfully skimming the line between geek and cool. Bottom line, geek and cool never use to blend in the good ole days. I remember downing tools on the Warhammer specifically so I could have a chance of meeting a girlfriend. That might not be needed these days but who knows. Now the girls are geeks also which is awesome!
Not to be a geek, I think would be very boring in this digital age where there are so many good things out there.
On a darker note I do feel it's in the media and government interests to encourage geekdom. The busier we are sifting through boxsets and collectable rare toys, wired up to video game consoles and tapping away on trivia on our smart phones, the less likely we are to take an interest in how our countries are run and what laws come to pass and the less likely we are to cause any objections. "Just give me my wifi and I'm passive". That's just my opinion.
For me recently, the creative, exercise and books are what set me free. I can't get as excited about games these days although I do love the time I've spent with people playing them. Such great memories, particularly the painting deadlines and the RPGs. Get folks away from the screens and it's all good. :D Self expression brothers and sisters.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”