Other - None of the above
7%

Total votes: 42

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Genres

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:25 pm

tricky question, but a good un.

I reckon it varies for the medium. Movies and stuff I love a bit of sci fi, but fantasy can also be good (although good fantasy is hard to come by.) For tabletop games I love a bit of SF or steampunk. For computer games I generally play SF shooters, with skyrim being a major exception (actually, if you went by "hours played" then fantasy would win hands down, but it'd be all skyrim...). Book - wise, I like epic fantasy. GoT, Wheel of Time, that kind of thing. I also really like the kinda modern style of fantasy/contemporary crossover. Neil Gaiman is very good at it, as is China Mieville. If I were to recommend one thing from this list it'd be these two authors. Top quality writing every time.

I also really enjoy post-apoc, zombie-movie type movies and TV shows. And super hero movies. I'm so totally stoked to be living in the age of Marvel Studios :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:02 pm

I like everything on the list, but sci fi, fantasy, and medieval get the lion's share of my attention.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

jehan-reznor
Champion

Post by jehan-reznor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:30 am

The Other Dave wrote:
YellowStreak wrote:Only 3 choices! :shock:
I know!!
That is why my third choice was other so i can pile it all in there, SF and fantasy are my main vices after that it is Horror, which is not on the list! love Historical stuff too.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:43 pm

No pirates high seas. Just a bit sad. I will try not to take it personally...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Maybe some people haven't chimd in yet, but I'm actually surprised there are so few people clicking on Steampunk or WWII considering the popularity of Warmahordes and bolt action. Maybe that's a testament to their rule systems rather than the genre they represent.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi guys, great thread topic. I'll go for Sci-Fi, fantasy and medieval.
For films and books I'm into anything. I just deleted my whole post by accident, so I'll just say quickly, if I'm playing wargames, genres that are far removed from reality are comfortable due to all the real life wars and nonsense going on at the moment.
The painting is the fun part of any game though. These days I prefer short pick up and play one shots. Star Wars X Wing, Infinity, Dredd and Space Hulk. For roleplay games I'm playing Call of Cthulhu Masks of Nyarlathotep. Very fun. So I guess that's 20's Pulp.
For the future if I were to collect anything for minis I would love to do something Jason and the Argonauts or Clash of the Titans esque. Ancient classical fantasy. :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:41 am

job wrote:Maybe some people haven't chimd in yet, but I'm actually surprised there are so few people clicking on Steampunk or WWII considering the popularity of Warmahordes and bolt action. Maybe that's a testament to their rule systems rather than the genre they represent.
Well, I know Warmahordes is supposed to be Steampunk but it has more of a Fantasy feel to it, at least from my perspective. Also I figure clicking on Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Victorian/Western kind of makes Steampunk a given!

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”