The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by job » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:59 pm

YellowStreak wrote:
kojibear wrote:
Primarch wrote:Season 3 of Daredevil was awesome and ended on a high point I think.
That's good to hear. I don't have much time at the moment - busy start to the year - but I shall make that my next series to watch. I just finished The Orville season 1. That was a lot of fun. Thanks for the recommendation Prim and Yellowstreak :)
Orville seaon 2 just started in the States last week!

I watched Bird box on Netflix. Not bad, some good ideas, but some of the characterisation seemed forced. I also recently watched 7 samurai again. Man I love that film. Yojimbo and Sanjuro are next, to be followed by Kagemusha, Throne of Blood and Ran.
Nice list of Kurosawa movies. Couldn’t agree more with your list. I’d just add possibly Akahige (Red Beard), probably just for one great 8 minute or so long-take. That and maybe Rashomon. Good thinking flix.

Not really a chanbara film though. Not Kurosawa, but Harakiri has probably one of the most fantastic final revenge scenes. There’s probably a scene that is too melodramatic for a Western audience, but good revenge story. Name really sells the movie kind of short.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:25 am

job wrote:Nice list of Kurosawa movies. Couldn’t agree more with your list. I’d just add possibly Akahige (Red Beard), probably just for one great 8 minute or so long-take. That and maybe Rashomon. Good thinking flix.
Not really a chanbara film though. Not Kurosawa, but Harakiri has probably one of the most fantastic final revenge scenes. There’s probably a scene that is too melodramatic for a Western audience, but good revenge story. Name really sells the movie kind of short.
Watched Rashomon not long ago, which is why it wasn't on my list. Have to add Harakiri - it's been too long since i've seen it, i have it on DVD back in Texas. I just started Zatoichi meets Yojimbo as I haven't seen it before. Getting me in the mood to paint my Test of Honour minis when I get back. :D
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Wiz
Rookie

Post by Wiz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 am

Woo-hoo! You're the first Test of Honour player I've come across in Japan, outside of Fukuoka prefecture! You're going to love it!!!

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:23 am

Wiz wrote:Woo-hoo! You're the first Test of Honour player I've come across in Japan, outside of Fukuoka prefecture! You're going to love it!!!
I'm 'kind of' in Japan. While I lived in Nagoya for the last 6 years, I've been transferred to Texas since April. Although I've been back in Nagoya for about 10 weeks for family reasons.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but really like the look of the rules. There is a version 2 being worked on at the moment that will incorporate some of the rules that came out in specific boxed sets (like the ninja) and play with the dishonour mechanic a bit (including adding an opposite 'honour' mechanic where you take a short term disadvantage for a long term advantage)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 am

Back to TV chat, I've been watching Titans on Netflix. As someone who has 2 kids who watch about a gazillion hours of Teen Titans: Go! per day, it is wierding.me.out. Like, seriously :shock:

A slightly more in-depth review of the first 6 eps or so would perhaps be: it's not bad, and the characters are certainly interesting. The acting is fine, the special effects (of which there are many) are acceptable, and the general gist of the plot is ok, but...

damn are they trying too hard to be edgy.

If they would just let it go and get on with telling the story it'd all be much better. Also, there have been a few shoddy pieces of story telling where stuff just happened because the plot needed it to, rather than because a character should do it. That kind of stuff irks me (I mean, when you watch a scene and think....mmmkay, I can see why the events had to go there, but the way they got there was...not right.

Anyway, it's fine and probably worth a shotty, and it does seem to be improving as it goes on, but still - a kind of opportunity missed. Again. *looks at DC sternly*
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:25 am

me_in_japan wrote:Back to TV chat, I've been watching Titans on Netflix. As someone who has 2 kids who watch about a gazillion hours of Teen Titans: Go! per day, it is wierding.me.out. Like, seriously :shock:

A slightly more in-depth review of the first 6 eps or so would perhaps be: it's not bad, and the characters are certainly interesting. The acting is fine, the special effects (of which there are many) are acceptable, and the general gist of the plot is ok, but...

damn are they trying too hard to be edgy.

If they would just let it go and get on with telling the story it'd all be much better. Also, there have been a few shoddy pieces of story telling where stuff just happened because the plot needed it to, rather than because a character should do it. That kind of stuff irks me (I mean, when you watch a scene and think....mmmkay, I can see why the events had to go there, but the way they got there was...not right.

Anyway, it's fine and probably worth a shotty, and it does seem to be improving as it goes on, but still - a kind of opportunity missed. Again. *looks at DC sternly*
Timely review as i just downloaded it.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:33 am

Just looking at the cast photos for Titans. It looks like they had enough money for one costume and then thought "F*#@ it! We'll just dye their hair different colours" for the other actors. :D
I had a quick look over the IMDB page for the cast, which proved amusing. Obviously super hero comics and shows tend to have a lot of names like "[insert powers here]-man". But TV/Movie studios who have unnamed characters in the background tend to credit them as "Man doing [insert action here]". On the IMDB page, there is one actor listed as Drunk Beating Man and I'm not sure if that's his super-alias or not. :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:57 am

I subscribed to Hulu this past week or so (mostly cos it has GoT S7 and all the new Doctor Who on it) but what I've watched has actually been S3 of Ash vs Evil Dead, and the first half a dozen eps of Cloak and Dagger.

Ash vs Evil Dead is pretty much what we've come to expect from S1 and 2, so no great surprises. It's still fun, but lacks the escalation that S2 brought (nothing in S3 comes close to the morgue scene in S2*). Also, Pedro and and Kelly seem to have a lot less screen time than last season, which is a shame, as I reckon they're one of the best things about the show. But, on the plus side, it's still Ashy Slashy doing his thing, Lucy Lawless is still good, and it does a fairly good job of rescuing itself from the shambles that was the final episode of S2. Worth a watch, if you like that kind of thing.

Cloak and Dagger is an odd one. If you're unfamiliar with the franchise, it's another Marvel superhero property**, but obviously not one of the Netflix ones (both in terms of tone, and the fact that it's not, y'know, on netflix). But, neither is it your typical superhero-fights-bad-guys kinda thing either. The main characters are a pair of high school age kids - one is a pretty, blonde girl and the other is a handsome black guy. They (by means of a mysterious explosion thingy, which remains mysterious so far) acquire some...powers? Kinda? The thing is, the show goes to great lengths to develop their characters, their relationships with people around them, and all that kinda touchy feely stuff, but really doesnt go into what they can and can't do. This is deliberate, as the kids themselves dont know what the hell is going on, or indeed, realise that they are in any way connected (they're not friends). The result is a slightly confusing show where the same scene is shown from multiple points of view, it can be unclear what just happened, and things take kinda a long time to get on with themselves. But, now I'm on ep 6, the story has found its feet and the plot is starting to thicken nicely. There's an evil corporation, a dodgy cop (possibly several), drug dealers, secrets, murders and all that shizzle. The characters are kinda interesting, too. I won't spoiler things, but the way they shift from their childhood portrayals to their teenage selves is quite nice, I thought. After ep 1 I wasnt sure if I wanted to stick with it, but I'd say it's worth it.

So, more TV is happening in this golden age of TV in which we live. What are y'all watching just now, and does anybody have any Huly based recommendations? Not that I have the time to watch them, but hey, it's good to know :)

*this is probably a good thing. :shock:

**I had no idea about this, and had no intention of watching the show until until they popped up last week in my son's bedtime story spiderman comic. Coinkidinks abound, eh?...

ps also, I finished Titans. Well, I say "finished" but the dang showrunners apparently shifted the last episode of S1 to the first ep of S2, so talk about yer cliffhanger ending! Yeesh! Overall not a bad show, and will likely watch S2, as well as Doom Patrol, which is a kinda-spinoff (and has Brendan Fraser in it! Yay! Glad he's getting decent work again :) )

pps. I also watched S4 of iZombie, which is increasingly one of my favourite TV shows. Very clever writing, good acting all over the place, and just fun. It's definitely the closest thing we have to Buffy the Vampire Slayer in this day and age. Well worth the time needed to watch it.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Of late I finished a few TV shows. Season 3 of The Expanse delivers on the promise of S1 and 2, and pretty much cements it as the cerebral hard SF TV show of choice for the discerning viewer. The plot is nice and twisty, albeit not too surprising at this stage, but it handles the more thinky elements pretty well. Also, the more I watch it, the more I appreciate the little nods to actual science. Stuff like generating gravity through rotation, tears not flowing down your face in zero G, that kind of. Also, one of the most excellent conservation of momentum moments I've ever seen. Ouch. Although probably only "ouch" for a very brief moment... :?

I also finished up S7 of Game of Thrones. Which is...well. It's Game of Thrones, innit? It suffers a teensy bit from being the penultimate season and thus is a bit preoccupied with maneuvering all the players into their necessary positions for season 8, but it nonetheless remains head and shoulders over anything else on TV just now. Massive battles, zombies, dragons flying around doing proper dragon stuff, and also dragons shuffling around on the ground looking proper intimidating. This is the one thing that this show really, really nails, in my opinion. The dragons are just fricking scary-ass death monsters. Sure, they're magificent, noble beasts, but in exactly the same way as a wild tiger is. Looks lovely, but you sure as hell wouldn't want to be in a room with one.

I also tried the first couple of eps of that new Netflix thing Love, Death and Robots. It's...interesting. Not without its flaws, but as a source for general sci-fi cyberpunky inspiration it seems like a goer. Not family friendly in the slightest, mind you. My eldest happened to wake up and come downstairs while I was watching it (past midnight). Luckily, this was in ep 1, in a scene where one mahoosive death monster is literally ripping the guts out of another mahoosive death monster, in very gory fashion. I say lucky because there are a number of moments in the first few eps that could've been so, so much worse. Anyway - kinda interesting concept, and for those of us who enjoy a bit of SF inspiration for our mini painting/converting, probably a source of good ideas somewhere.

Oh, and I finished Cloak and Dagger. Quite enjoyed it, and recommend it for those who want something a little smarter/different to stuff like Arrow, but not as unrelentingly moody as the netflix stuff. Will watch S2, for sure.

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:29 pm

For Prim...(and any other interested parties)

I thought they’d never be able to make ‘Preacher’, but they did, and it was pretty good.

I thought well, yeah but surely they’d never be able to make ‘the Boys’, but...

https://youtu.be/CD46c08MsHg
Morituri nolumus mori!

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”