The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:08 pm

shush! some of us are only on season 2!

also, I forgot to mention back when I was recommending TV shows: The Strain is very good, currently on 2 seasons, a third to start later this year. Vampire invasion of New York, the hero is played by the chap who played the bad guy in Ant Man, and teh whole show is run by Guilermo Del Toro (think Blade 2 style vampires rather than Dracula types).
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:51 am

@MiJ: what channel/service is 'The Strain' on?

I've been binge watching 'Daredevil' this last week or so. It was cool to see the Punisher show up, although his story arc seemed a bit rushed. Couldn't they have filled it out a bit more and brought Electra in later? Also, the 'gun play' was a bit silly, even for Frank Castle. One handed firing a shotgun, storming a hospital with a shotgun to kill one lowlife a la Terminator. Puh-leeze! :roll:
Morituri nolumus mori!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:30 pm

The Strain is on FX, but I got it from...Elsewhere.

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:40 am

Now thoroughly engrossed in Daredevil as it wanders into 'supernatural' territory.
Still don't like their characterization of the Punisher though. Just seems like a dumb killing machine than how he comes across in the comics I've read, more intelligent, a more careful operator, the ultimate soldier etc. etc.
Morituri nolumus mori!

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Started Black Sails as recommended by this group and was very impressed with the first episode. Looking forward to more of that.
Apart from that lots of news, Lovejoy and Time Team. Wish I didn't have to go back to work but it's been good while it's lasted.
Yes Lovejoy is on everyday at the moment with channel yesterday.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:44 pm

This past couple of weeks I've been watching Star Wars: Rebels with the kids (well, with my eldest, mostly, as the younger un tends to wander off after a few minutes, but anyway, I digress...)

Right - Rebels. Its actually pretty ok, if you keep in mind it's a show aimed at the kiddie market. The basic premise is kinda firefly meets Star Wars, with a rag tag crew of ne'er do wells engaging in somewhat legally questionable activities in their trusty ship the Ghost (also available for the X-wing minis game, which lends it an air of legitimacy, in my book.) It's set somewhere between the events of Ep 3 and ANH, so the imperials are in power, the clone wars are 20odd years in the past, and Luke skywalker is being a small boy on Tatooine. The characters aren't bad, with a particular shout out to their nemesis The Inquisitor, who actually poses a believable threat to the protagonists. Also worth noting is the effort put into the appearance of known characters - Lando, 3PO, Bale Organa and the big scary Vader all make appearances, and in all cases are necessary plot elements rather than silly cameos. They're also all voiced by the original cast.

Overall, I'd recommend Rebels for anybody after a quick 20 minute time filler that doesn't need to get too deep. Good for watching whilst painting or on the train or something :)

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:57 pm

me_in_japan wrote:This past couple of weeks I've been watching Star Wars: Rebels with the kids (well, with my eldest, mostly, as the younger un tends to wander off after a few minutes, but anyway, I digress...)

Right - Rebels. Its actually pretty ok, if you keep in mind it's a show aimed at the kiddie market. The basic premise is kinda firefly meets Star Wars, with a rag tag crew of ne'er do wells engaging in somewhat legally questionable activities in their trusty ship the Ghost (also available for the X-wing minis game, which lends it an air of legitimacy, in my book.) It's set somewhere between the events of Ep 3 and ANH, so the imperials are in power, the clone wars are 20odd years in the past, and Luke skywalker is being a small boy on Tatooine. The characters aren't bad, with a particular shout out to their nemesis The Inquisitor, who actually poses a believable threat to the protagonists. Also worth noting is the effort put into the appearance of known characters - Lando, 3PO, Bale Organa and the big scary Vader all make appearances, and in all cases are necessary plot elements rather than silly cameos. They're also all voiced by the original cast.

Overall, I'd recommend Rebels for anybody after a quick 20 minute time filler that doesn't need to get too deep. Good for watching whilst painting or on the train or something :)
Anyone else remember "Droids"? Animated adventures of C3P0 and R2D2 made back in the ......oh god....80's.......
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:01 am

Konrad wrote:
me_in_japan wrote:This past couple of weeks I've been watching Star Wars: Rebels with the kids (well, with my eldest, mostly, as the younger un tends to wander off after a few minutes, but anyway, I digress...)

Anyone else remember "Droids"? Animated adventures of C3P0 and R2D2 made back in the ......oh god....80's.......
Yep, and the Ewoks cartoon.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:00 am

The Night Manager.
Check it out if you haven't yet it's excellent. I binged 4 episodes yesterday. It's a 6 part mini series.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:25 pm

Stranger Things on Netflix. Only 2 eps in (out of 8) but am well hooked. Think Stephen King meets X-files.

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”