The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Konrad
Wargod

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by Konrad » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:30 am

[/quote]
me_in_japan wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:24 pm
I agree that Boba fett kinda sucked. It's a shame, because the character has real potential, and Temuera Morrison is a more than adequate actor. Twas just bad writing, sadly. They really should've gone for him being not all that nice actually. Like, Mando is what you get when a bounty hunter discovers he has morals. Boba fett shouldve been what you get when a bounty hunter learns he really doesn't.

On the plus side, Cad Bane was great.
That was one scary gunslinger, like Lee Van Cleef and a shark had a baby. I wonder how many man-hours it took to craft those teeth and that sneer. I do love me a spot of high-noon gunfightin', as ridiculous as the idea is in worlds with anti-grav, forcefields......Though the climactic scene actually makes the whole show worthwhile. The show is stupid, but a Godzilla vs. King Kong sort of stupid, so I forgive them.
It is a tough to pull off Boba Fett, crime lord of Tatooine and still make the show friendly for 10 year olds. I mean if he were at all "not nice" and the people who don't want to pay his tribute find tauntaun heads in their beds, "I made him an offer he couldn't refuse.", it is not going to sell as much merch. Mando' is almost more an Arthurian knight than bounty hunter. The "This is the way." code, the not-quite-a-light-saber-sword, the actual "shining armor", it's all there.

Comments on other comments

"Discovery" Yeah, I'd have enjoyed a bit less trauma and more brave new worlds. And it was just a bit much, psychic Vulkan mind links, myconid warp drives, I'm really a Klingon in disguise and I'm my evil twin from a parallel universe.....it was like they crammed 5 years of Next Generation character development into a single season.

Never heard of "Lower Decks" a bit of tounge-in-cheek Trek sounds like a lot of fun.

And I really enjoyed Picard. Though, it had a different sort of excitement. The most gripping scene for me was a bit where Picard was running up the stairs and I was on the edge of my seat. "Oh god, he's so tiny and frail." And there is a bit where he is facing down this Romulan bravo (ready to skewer Picard with a sword, what a fun anachronism) and giving this classic Picard speech, and you are again, "Aaaaa. don't you dare hurt that wonderful, wonderful old man!". It was more thrilling than him facing down a Kingon armada in his prime. And sure he saves the universe again, but the action moved in a smaller scale. and you could get into the characters a little more and they seemed more believable, despite being alien, zen sword masters, Data v.2 androids and holo-deck projections. Hey, just did a quick google and only now learned there was a 2nd season. Have to give that a watch soon.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:12 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:24 pm

Oh, and Moon Knight is good so far. I mean, it's a marvel TV show, so you know what youre getting into, but still, they do do it well.
It is true that most (Disney) MCU is Pablum, Moon Knight is nice and gritty, second only to Daredevil as a pulp fiction superhero. Well worth the time to watch.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:24 am

It's been a year since anybody watched any TV? That can't be right...

I just last night watched The Color Out of Space, with Nicholas Cage in it. So...yeah. Wrap yer heads around that image for a mo, if you will.

It's actually a pretty decent stab at the story. Cage goes full eye-rolling bonkers (as usual) and the setting and effects are suitably creepy. Tbh, I'm not even convinced Lovecraft can be filmed, but fair play to all involved, they gave it a good shot. I was running a bit of a fever yesterday, which may have helped the whole experience along a bit, but overall, I enjoyed it. (well, not the thing with the mom and the kid, which I wont go into more detail on, but no, i did not enjoy that bit. It was, however, memorable, which I suppose is kind of the point.)

Anybody seen anything else worth watching recently? I've been enjoying Mando season 3 well enough, and there's been some good set design. Bad Batch is clipping along nicely, too. Me and the kids recently started up The Owl House on a friend's recommendation, and the boys are liking it a lot.

Oh, and the new DND movie is fun, too. Went to see that on Friday.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:34 am

Recently I watched the 2016 Dororo anime which was quite good. And before that I found an anime movie called Sword of the Stranger from 10-15 years ago that was also really good.

Also, I learned a while ago that the dnd movie stole Pathfinder's art for the intellect devourer for its poster, but I learned just the other day that the name of the movie is 'Honor Among Thieves' which makes it even better :lol:
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:09 am

I just binge watched the entirety of Picard Season 3 in two days. It was awesome! After the drivel (with the occasional nod to nostalgia) that made up season 1 and 2, S3 hit it out of the park. There are a ton of call-backs to TNG, DS9 and Voyager, plus bits from the Original Series. The director/producer is clearly a fan of the older shows and it comes through in how he ties in the characters, events, action, humour, and a good sense of what made TNG shine. I thoroughly recommend it if you enjoyed Next Gen.

Also, watch the ending credits of the last episode all the way through to post credit tag scene. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:03 am

I have not been keeping up on TV at all. I saw most of "Andor" and was more than pleasantly surprised. I should say it knocked my socks off. Just the perfect blend of gritty realism and irrational science/fantasy that is Star Wars. I should finish that up and check out more Mando and Picard! I liked the 1st and 2nd seasons more than Stu (there was more than enough good stuff in it to counteract the drivel) and am looking forward to see what happens next. Will they finally stop trying to destroy the universe and let the old guy get a break?
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:28 am

Konrad wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:03 am
Will they finally stop trying to destroy the universe and let the old guy get a break?
Spoilers Below
No.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon May 08, 2023 12:16 am

I went and binged "Picard S3" last Golden Week and had so much fun. Thanks all for reminding me that was a thing. You could tell the actors were all having a blast too. The villan, Vadic, is just top-notch baddie. They really gave her all the best lines. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Next Generation and how much of my head-space that show takes up. I need to check out "Lower Decks" next and maybe go back and re-watch some DS9 and Voyager. Probably a couple series in there I missed entirely over the last 2 or 3 decades.
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue May 09, 2023 2:56 pm

I'm onto ep 7 of Picard and everything Eric said is spot on. I'm loving this show this season, whereas season 2 left me so cold I didn't even finish it (until I decided a week ago to catch up so I could watch S3). But this time around? Ooft - so much fun watching so many good actors inhabit roles that fit them like a comfy old sweater. And as Eric said, Vadic is superb. Amanda Plummer is just *chef's kiss* in the role. I'm liking how the themes have aged with the characters (and, dare I say it, the audience?) in that parenthood and taking responsibility for past actions are the driving force behind the major characters arcs. Really good TV. I hope the finale lives up to the build up 👍

(Also, Worf's reintroduction scene is delivered so perfectly I actually laughed out loud, and I never do that watching a TV show.)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue May 09, 2023 11:32 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 2:56 pm
I'm onto ep 7 of Picard and everything Eric said is spot on. I'm loving this show this season, whereas season 2 left me so cold I didn't even finish it (until I decided a week ago to catch up so I could watch S3). But this time around? Ooft - so much fun watching so many good actors inhabit roles that fit them like a comfy old sweater. And as Eric said, Vadic is superb. Amanda Plummer is just *chef's kiss* in the role. I'm liking how the themes have aged with the characters (and, dare I say it, the audience?) in that parenthood and taking responsibility for past actions are the driving force behind the major characters arcs. Really good TV. I hope the finale lives up to the build up 👍

(Also, Worf's reintroduction scene is delivered so perfectly I actually laughed out loud, and I never do that watching a TV show.)
Seconded. I actually fist pumped, "Yes!" when he showed. I love how every time (without exception) Worf enters a room or the scene opens on him, the Klingon theme plays ever, ever so faintly in the background.
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”