The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:51 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:24 am
On a more definitely-not-historical note (although it does take place a long time ago...) I’ve been very much enjoying season 7 of Clone Wars recently.
Clone Wars and Rebels are absolute gold and it's great to see season 7. Apparently they're doing a Bad Batch show as well, which I'd be iffy about if it wasn't this team that constantly knocks things out of the park (look at how much gold they got out of the seemingly terrible idea of bringing that Zabrak back).

My wife has become a big Star Wars fan but as far as she's concerned Ashoka is the main character of the entire property.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:41 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:51 am

My wife has become a big Star Wars fan but as far as she's concerned Ashoka is the main character of the entire property.
Yoogely this. (Man, am I going to have to get Disney+ for Clone Wars, Rebels and the Mandalorian? I lost track of the first two a few years ago, and still have never seen the latter. *grumble grumble*)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:10 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:41 am
Yoogely this. (Man, am I going to have to get Disney+ for Clone Wars, Rebels and the Mandalorian? I lost track of the first two a few years ago, and still have never seen the latter. *grumble grumble*)
You should get it long enough to watch the Mandalorian if nothing else.

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:36 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:01 pm
@balloonacorn - obvs ymmv, but fwiw,
Sorry, I have no idea what this means.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:36 pm
me_in_japan wrote:
I think it means that M_i_J was having a stroke when typing his response. :lol:

"Obviously your mileage may vary, but for what it's worth...."
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:04 am

Primarch wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:00 pm
Balloonacorn wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:36 pm
me_in_japan wrote:
I think it means that M_i_J was having a stroke when typing his response. :lol:

"Obviously your mileage may vary, but for what it's worth...."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What he said. I did realise it was a ridiculous sentence as I was writing it, but I figured I’d just roll with it. Sorry for any confusion caused. It’s probably for the best to just ignore anything I write anyway, so no great loss :P
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:41 am

'tis the season for scaaaarrry T.V. Watched the first couple episodes of "Lovecraft Country". Set in America in the early 1950s with almost exclusively black characters, the truly horrifying, actually sickening parts are the portrayals of the murderous racism of the time. I almost wrote "the era" or "age", but my parents were children in the 50s, this is not the distant past. The head crunching monsters and evil magicians are almost, a trivial side-show in comparison. But what head-crunching and eeeeevil! I was expecting a slow burn, "X-Files" style suspense, but this show moves fast. I've only seen the first two episodes, but we are already to "Stranger Things" finale class, BOOM! pyrotechnics. Not a subtle series. More "Dr. Who" than "MIllennium". (Showing my age with the X-Files and Millenium references.)
The pulp-sci-fi-horror elements do sit rather awkwardly next to the very realistic horror of the simple facts of life in pre-Civil Rights Act America. But I suppose that is the point. Read more than a hundred pages of H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Rice Burroughs, or Robert E. Howard, and you'll run across stuff so racist it will make your skin crawl. As fans of the genre, the question is what to do with that. The more important question is as citizens, what to do with the hideous racism running through every corner of U.S history and the lives of our great leaders. That's a pretty ambitious conversation for a pulp-horror T.V show to pull off.
Final word, I can not adequately describe the awesomeness of the soundtrack. Once or twice I sort of wished they actors would stop moving about doing things and distracting me from the music!
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:41 am

That sounds like a very watchable show. Where are you getting it? Netflix? Amazon? Elsewhere? I’m keen to see the head crunching (less keen to see the ingrained racism, but I daresay one must face unpleasantness in order to overcome it, which I suppose is the point, really.)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:01 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:41 am
That sounds like a very watchable show. Where are you getting it? Netflix? Amazon? Elsewhere? I’m keen to see the head crunching (less keen to see the ingrained racism, but I daresay one must face unpleasantness in order to overcome it, which I suppose is the point, really.)
My sources hark from nightmare realms beyond time and space. But HBO or Amazon Prime, seem to do it too. A couple more episodes in and we have gone full-on Indiana Jones, with no apologies and very little tongue-in-cheek. The plot over-all is a great big, comic-book, "Huh? On a scale rivaling Star Wars or even (shudder) Prometheus. But some great acting and characters are saving it for me for another couple episodes at least.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:23 pm
Primarch wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:09 pm

Better? That's pretty subjective. I enjoyed Rome (season 1) a lot, but there are other shows I liked more.
Personally I enjoyed Sharpe, Band of Brothers and Vikings more than Rome, but then again, I'm more interested in those periods than the birth of the Roman Empire.
Oh, better is definitely subjective. I liked Vikings a lot. I haven't seen Sharpe but I have had it recommended to me alot. Is it on any of the popular media?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”