The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:55 am

Just like the title says. In this age of Netflix, Amazon TV, Hulu, Satellite TV etc etc. What are y'all watching? Or have binge watched recently?

Great Shows you should be watching IMHO...

Archer on NF. Great cartoon parody of the Spy genre
Jessica Jones on NF. Best of the Marvel shows.
Preacher on Amz. Only 3 shows in but it's doing a pretty good job of bringing the comic to life. Still, I'm surprised it's not more hardcore, especially in this GoT age.
Constantine: another good adaptation. But the season ended just when it the cast were starting to get going.

Pretty good. Still worth watching over JTV.
Game of Thrones: suffering from the Tumenikarakters virus just like the books, but still good stuff.
Arrow & Daredevil: both watchable comic adaptations, but not exactly ground breaking.
An idiot abroad and its spin offs: Ricky Gervais and his mate send their other 'idiot' mate trekking around the world, making him do as many 'mental' things as possible along the way. If you don't know what a whingeing Pom is, this will explain everything. Some of it is obviously staged though.
Bo Jack Horseman: Another cartoon. This time about a washed up TV star who happens to be a horse.
F is for Family:yet another cartoon. Like the Simpsons and that 70s show but grittier and with more swearing.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:57 pm

I'm watching far too much at the moment, my painting has been suffering.

Daredevil and JJ are great, though not necessarily for their protagonists.
I've been watching Agents of SHIELD, though they have tended to focus the stories around the two dullest characters/actors on the show while killing off those who actually held some appeal.
Black Sails is a great show about pirates, lots of buckling of swashes and mizzen masts and stuff.
Peaky Blinders is well worth a watch. It's a show about a British gang in Birmingham (UK) just after WW1.

I tried watching Constantine, but everything in the first episode seemed really forced, so I kind of gave up on it. If it's worth a watch, I may go back to it.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:57 pm

I, too, give Dare Devil the thumbs up. Jessica Jones was quite good, too. The Arrow is watchable and entertaining, but meant for a more general audience, so a little less gritty.

Haven't checked Preacher out yet, but intend to.

I have been watching Black Sails and the Muskateers - which just ended its 3rd and final season. Very different tones as can be expected by the channels they air on, Starz and BBC respectively. Being a bit of an Evil Dead fan I had to watch Ash and the Evil Dead which is also on Starz. It was filmed in NZ, which is another plus. :D

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Daredevil and JJ are both good. Ash vs Evil Dead was also a lot of fun (and also only 30 mins per episode, which was refreshing). I'm currently girding myself to start watching GoT again, from season 2. Not sure where I can legally get hold of it, though. An Idiot Abroad is also very fun, although it kind of runs out of steam eventually.

ps I'd like to watch Preacher, but where does one get access to it? Do you mean AMC or Amazon? Or does one simply find it Elsewhere?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:16 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Daredevil and JJ are both good. Ash vs Evil Dead was also a lot of fun (and also only 30 mins per episode, which was refreshing). I'm currently girding myself to start watching GoT again, from season 2. Not sure where I can legally get hold of it, though. An Idiot Abroad is also very fun, although it kind of runs out of steam eventually.

ps I'd like to watch Preacher, but where does one get access to it? Do you mean AMC or Amazon? Or does one simply find it Elsewhere?

I think Amazon has GoT, but you have to pay to watch it.

I enjoyed JJ, but agree that the villain was the best part of it. The same has been true for DD so far.

Gotham is worth a watch.

I was watching American Horror Story, but need to catch up.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:47 pm

Spevna wrote:Gotham is worth a watch.
Yeah, Gotham is on my list too. The guy playing Jim Gordon is dreadful, but the rest of the cast are aces. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:05 pm

Oops, I forgot Gotham. And, for once, I agree with Prim. The Villains and other supporting cast are great. The actor playing Jim Gordon, not so much. Mind you he snagged Morena Baccarin, his on screen love, in real life. Maybe he leaves all his charm at home and only turns into a wooden log when the Dircector yells 'Action'.

IMHO JJ>DD. The character is a bit refreshing in a pretty stale sausage fest of a genre, although Killgrave is definitely a cool villain. DD just seems so ordinary, if one can say that about a superhero. Put on a suit. Beat up mobsters. Work your way up to the Boss. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Preacher is on Amazon TV Japan. Which doesn't seem to have much else. The man in the high Castle is nowhere to be seen. My wife and I were Prime members anyway so we effectively get it for free, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

If you 'orrible lot want to know more about what makes Kojibear and I tick, check out 'Flight of the Conchords' and the 'Almighty Johnsons'. The Kiwi Thor makes that Hemsworth bloke look like right wimp. :lol:
Morituri nolumus mori!

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:22 am

The villains have been great in all the superhero shows. I have quite enjoyed the Penguin story arc and David Tenant in Jessica Jones. Wilson Fisk was also played really well.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:52 am

heyhey! Found Preacher on JAmazon, and since I have Prime, that's my evening planned. Cheers, Pikey :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:13 pm

Holy shit! I just watched Episode 9 of the current series of Game of Thrones :o
That was one of the greatest hours of Television I have ever witnessed.

It's entitled "The Battle of the Bastards" and there's certainly plenty of battling to go round. Peter Jackson should take note.

This is only my reaction after one watch through but I'd have to say that it has the best Fantasy/Historical/Ancient battle scenes ever, the climactic scene was the genre's Private Ryan/Omaha scene. Brutal, visceral, realistic(?), fantastic!

Gushing over :D
Morituri nolumus mori!

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”